Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Regional Forums > California / SouthWest - US (AZ/NV)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest porsche highway

ok,

so i'm finally a porsche owner after years of being a porsche 'wanna be' owner. i've driven mini-vans before and the curvy/windy roads i've driven in the mini-van are now just water off the duck's(porsche) back now.

if you live in so. cal. , where are good drive roads that you've found? i'd be interested in knowing the content of the roads you suggest. in other words:

-highway # / 101, 1, 405?
-curve / tire tester?
-straight / 100 mph rich?
-radar / seen any cops?
-??? / any advice or great experience you might share?

any/all response is appreciated :
Old 10-25-2006, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Willow Springs
Buttonwillow

Both have no speed limit and you're alot less likely to kill someone else. Spend some time and money doing DEs through PCA and POC.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

thanks but i need a kwik definition 'time out'...

-des =?
-pca = porsche club of america
-poc = ?

thanks!
Old 10-26-2006, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

DE = driver education (track day with instructors)
POC = porsche owners club http://www.porscheclub.com/ - they do some track events and whatnot
Old 10-27-2006, 12:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

thanx for the help!

not sure if this should go to a new topic but i'll ask just the same. since i'm a new porsche owner, what value is it to join pca? i've never talked to a member so i really don't know the benefits. before i bought my boxster, i considered a pca members car but it didn't work out (another longer post).

thanks again for your advice!
Old 10-27-2006, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The benefits of PCA are the driving events including racing, autocross, DE (driver's education), Road Rally (not the kind with subarus jumping on dirt roads), and tours. There is also a large social aspect where fellow porsche owners get together and talk about porsches. Plus you get a magazine subscription. There's more details on the PCA website. Google search Porsche Club of America, and Porsche Owner's Club.

Also, I'm not sure how familiar you are with web forums, but most every forum has a search feature. Chances are that the question you have has been asked and answered before (most many times).

If this is your first sports car, again I can't recomend enough going to the driver's education, and autocrossing. These are safe environments where you can learn the limits of your new toy.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

thanks for the great info!

i'm not necessarily a racer but i would appreciate learning more about my ride. whether it be 'diy' fixes or just driving better or longer between pit stops to the local mechanic, i could benefit from learning.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Tree-Hugging Member

What bleucamaro said + 1.

It's definitely a great car to have and enjoy, but I will reinforce the suggestion to get involved in PCA and/or POC. Every car - Porsche included - has unique handling characteristics and they need to be learned in a safe place like Driver's Events or Autocross where you can't hurt anyone. Do NOT do it on public roads - one of my DE instructors had some very sage advice: Ten-tenths is for the track, seven-tenths is MAX for public roads. End of story. Have never found a reason to disagree with him. Besides, being a maniac on public roads just pisses people off and all Porsche drivers get a bad rep. Let the rice burners have that title.

As for wrenching and learning maintenance, you've already found the best place I know of to get a grounding there.

Glad you took the step up to a Porsche -- you're going to have a great time!
Old 11-13-2006, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim727

Glad you took the step up to a Porsche -- you're going to have a great time!
ya know i parked it the other day and went inside to catch the elevator. this guy walked up and asked ... 'is that your porsche?' with a very modest grin, i replied 'yes'......i can't tell you how proud i was inside to answer that for the 1st time.

i got more along that subject but i desire the modesty. so i'll stop here.

take care and please .... keep the advice coming
Old 11-13-2006, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: