Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Regional Forums > California / SouthWest - US (AZ/NV)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My 911Spec build

I am part way through my build of a 911Spec car. I have an '86 Carrera. Before beginning the latest transformation, on the inside I had replaced both seats with race seats, taken out the rear seats and parcel shelf and added an autopower roll bar. With respect to suspension, I recently went to 23/31 torsion bars and the car was corner-balanced and lowered. On the engine, I had an autothority chip and switched to a K&N cone style filter. I have been running DE's and Time Trials for the last few years, mostly at Thunderhill, Infineon, Reno-Fernley Raceway, and Miller Motorsports park.

Here is a picture of the car as it was before the build.

Last fall, I got an e-mail from PCA GGR (Northern California) that they were going to start holding club races. I had wanted to start doing wheel-to-wheel, but figured it would be a few years down the road as the car transformed more into a track car. However, it was hard to resist being able to club race on my "home" tracks. I started with the idea of building a "stock" class PCA car.

I talked to my mechanic (who builds Porsche race cars and races Porsches -- mostly with PRC) and he suggested that I build a 911Spec car. He said that it would basically require all the same work as a PCA "stock" class car, but I could just take out a bunch more weight and turn it into a 911Spec car. I was convinced, so I started the build.
1990 Carrera 2
1966 Land Rover 109
Old 02-20-2009, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I started by gutting the interior. I first took out everything that could be unscrewed or unbolted. That included every interior trim piece, all the dash components (except for the gauges), all of the door components (including the windows and window frames), and all of the windows. The Bentley Manual was an invaluable resource in taking everything out.

Then, with lots of help and encouragement from other members (mostly toby, aka car911), I tackled taking out the sunroof and the subroof assembly that held the sunroof and all associated parts in. Here are a couple pictures of the subroof assembly that had to be removed.

1990 Carrera 2
1966 Land Rover 109

Last edited by pgeorgeson; 02-20-2009 at 06:23 PM..
Old 02-20-2009, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

After that, I started to tackle the less glamorous project of removing the sound deadening material off the floors and then all the glue that was on virtually every surface inside. The sound deadening removal wasn't too bad. I just used a heat gun to warm it up and then a metal scraper to scrape it off. After I scraped out all the chunks, I used a paint-on adhesive remover (Home Depot) to get rid of the glue residue.

I then went after the glue. It was a miserable project. I probably spend 8-10 hours scraping and cleaning with brake cleaner. The brake cleaner fluid, but it was an extremely labor intensive and tedious project.

At that time, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the interior. I figured I had three options: (1) leave it as is; (2) put down some cheap and thin carpet to hide it; or (3) have it painted. I liked the idea of having it painted, but wasn't sure about he extra hit to the budget for something that was purely cosmetic.

1990 Carrera 2
1966 Land Rover 109

Last edited by pgeorgeson; 03-02-2009 at 04:38 PM..
Old 02-20-2009, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Next it went in for the cage (actually, because of scheduling, I had to take it in for the cage before I finished cleaning off the glue, which was not the ideal situation). Here is what I got back from the shop.

1990 Carrera 2
1966 Land Rover 109
Old 02-20-2009, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I realized I had to at least paint the roll cage, so the question was whether to try to do it myself (i.e., on the cheap) or to have it done. I have no painting experience whatsoever, so the idea of doing it myself was a little daunting. I loaded it up one afternoon and drove it to a few paint shops for estimates (the estimates included painting the fiberglass sunroof plug that I bought from TRE and a ducktail that I had previously bought and repaired but had never installed). After getting a couple estimates, I decided it wasn't worth trying to do it myself. I went with the low estimate, fully expecting to get what I paid for it, but also realizing I wasn't building a show car. Here is how it came out from the paint shop.

1990 Carrera 2
1966 Land Rover 109

Last edited by pgeorgeson; 02-20-2009 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 02-20-2009, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Now for the sunroof. Again, I have never done any body work. However, after a lot of thought and e-mails and phone calls with Toby (who just did his), I went for it. I built some brackets and screwed them in along the front and the sides. I then glued the back in using epoxy and screwed the front and sides into the brackets. Except for one screw-up where I drilled my pilot hole all the way through the lip of the sunroof, it worked pretty well.

metal brackets

being held in place

finished with screws and glue
1990 Carrera 2
1966 Land Rover 109
Old 02-20-2009, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The replacement sunroof panel was the exact size as the original panel, which meant that when it was installed there was about a 3/16 gap around the sides. That had to be filled in. After taping the roof and the panel, as well as the gap inside the car, I used bondo with the short fibers and filled in the gap. It worked pretty well and now the sunroof is in pretty solidly. If I get time, I will probably paint the bondo black so that it just looks like the original felt trim. I will add pics of the finished product later.

The next step was dealing with the dash. I have been watching Toby's race care dash post on the racing forum show me your race car dashes,, and enviously seeing what everyone has done. Again, however, I was going to take the cheap way out.

I first needed to plug some of the larger holes in the metal dash. I got some aluminum flashing from the local hardware store and cut out some pieces to fill the holes, gluing and screwing them in. I then had a brilliant idea and ordered a carpeted dash cover for about $25. The cover is supposed to attach to the dash pad (which no longer exists). However, I figure with some minor trimming, I can just put the cover right over the metal dash. I haven't done it yet, so pictures will follow.
1990 Carrera 2
1966 Land Rover 109
Old 02-20-2009, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Now for the windows. I am replacing the windshield, rear quarter windows, and rear window with lexan (there won't be any windows in the doors). After some shopping and recommendations from racers, I bought the windshield and rear window from Five Star Race Car Bodies http://www.fivestarbodies.com/. The car is at the window shop now getting them installed, so I can't report results yet.

More to come as the project progresses.
1990 Carrera 2
1966 Land Rover 109
Old 02-20-2009, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Paul -
Thanks for posting the link to your build page. Great documentation which is giving me lots of ideas for my own car. More pics!

good luck w/the rest,
Tom
Old 02-21-2009, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
devalued member

Location: Mumbai West, Silicon Valley Ca but headed to the foothills soon
Garage
i approve this message.... looking great paul. headed out to install monoballs & reindex spring plates due to ALL the weight 311 has lost...
Old 02-21-2009, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the comments, guys. One thing I forgot to mention in the process was the removal of the entire heating and AC system. I started with the heating system and removed all components in the cab, the front trunk and the engine compartment.

I then took out the AC system, following the Bentley instructions. Most of it was okay, but the blower in the smugglers box gave me a great deal of trouble until I figured out that some parts had to be unscrewed from the passenger side footwell. I ended up taking the hoses out without cutting them because someone wanted the system for a trade. It really wasn't that bad. The one that gave me the most trouble was the one that went into the driver side of the engine compartment. But with some help in tugging and pulling I was able to get all the hoses out in one piece.

Here are most of the removed heater parts.

1990 Carrera 2
1966 Land Rover 109
Old 02-21-2009, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Got the car back from the glass shop today so I was able to take some more pictures. I will start with some of the stuff that I meant to post earlier but didn't do.

Here are pictures of the front trunk and the engine bay after being cleaned out. There are still minor things to take care of (getting rid of some of the loose wires, plugging the holes in the front trunk, etc.) which I will probably tackle this weekend. The AC bracket will come off when I switch the exhaust, because you have to remove the mufflers to get to it. I have ordered a block-off plate from Pelican for the space on the left side of the fan where the heater blower duct was removed.

1990 Carrera 2
1966 Land Rover 109
Old 02-25-2009, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

The inside is shaping up. I have plugged the big holes in the dash, and will work on installing the dash cover. I need to put the belts back in. I bought some SFI padding for the roll cage. I will take the painter's tape off the roll cage cross-bars. I had it there to protect the paint while I was working on it. I went to the local invisa-shield shop and bought a couple of scrap strips of the 3M invisa-shield material which I am going to put down on the top of the cross-bars to give permanent paint protection.

1990 Carrera 2
1966 Land Rover 109
Old 02-25-2009, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

The windows are in! I ended up purchasing the windshield and rear window from Five Star Auto Bodies at the recommendation of some PRC racers. The local glass shop then made the quarter windows and installed all of them. They look great. I will have to fabricate some bracing for the rear window and some tabs for the front. I don't want them popping out down the front straight at Thunderhill.

1990 Carrera 2
1966 Land Rover 109
Old 02-25-2009, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I will be spending the weekend working on a lot of small things (and will keep the posts coming as I do). Then next week I should have the new headers and mufflers installed. The headers are 1 5/8" George's European headers that I bought used from a PRC racer in the bay area. The mufflers are Phase 9 style mufflers what were built by a local fabricator who has built them for a number of PRC cars. I swapped my AC system for the mufflers, so that worked out great.

1990 Carrera 2
1966 Land Rover 109
Old 02-25-2009, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Steering wheel quick release and hook were next. With the help of my junior mechanic, we took the existing Momo Competition wheel off. We then installed in its place the quick release hub from Tekniq Auto in Canada. It is the race version with the hub that fits the Momo wheel. Next, we attached the quick-release connector to the wheel. Presto, a steering wheel that I can take off to get in and out of the car. Earlier, I bought a steering wheel hook that mounts to the roll bar from IO Port racing, along with a convex mirror that also attaches to the cage. We installed the hook and the mirror and it turned out great.

my assistant

he removed the wheel

we then attached the hub

installed the quick-release part on the wheel

Here it is installed

hanging on the convenient hook

here is the wheel and the mirror attached to the roll bar
1990 Carrera 2
1966 Land Rover 109
Old 02-27-2009, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
devalued member

Location: Mumbai West, Silicon Valley Ca but headed to the foothills soon
Garage
cool paul! what are you going to do with the colum switch levers? my thoughts are linked in the dash thread in the track area post on a thread that blew away in tech. i am hopping to get some play from some of the dash posters om accomplishing what i am thinking. also posted my dash mock up in the plunge thread.

tell me about your battery cut off? kit? scheme? i can call if you prefer, drop me yer # again via PM. car looks great my man! hoping my maiden run at laguna in early april.

t
Old 03-02-2009, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Toby;
It didn't even occur to me until your post to do anything with the column switches. I think I am just going to keep them where they are for now. Maybe that is something I will look at down the road.

I used this kill switch at the recommendation of my mechanic:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/more_info.cgi?pn=PP-913298&catalog_description=Weltmeister%20Kill%20Switch%20 Kit%2C%20%39%31%31%20%28%36%35%2D%39%38%29%20

I had my mechanic install it, so unfortunately I can't give you any advice on installation.

I got several other small things done on the car over the weekend, just haven't had time to post (test fit of rear bumper, rear window stays, fire extinguisher mount, plugging holes in front trunk, dash cover, etc). I will do an update in the next couple days.

P
1990 Carrera 2
1966 Land Rover 109
Old 03-02-2009, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now that he lexan windows are in, I needed to install some stays for the rear window. The lexan material is so flexible that without stays there is the possibility that it could pop out at speed.

I went to the local hardware store and bought some 1/8" thick by 1" wide aluminum strips. I then had to figure out how to secure them.

Here is a picture of the strips at full length and before any bending.

There is a small lip around the rear window at the top. I figured if I could cut a 1/8" tall by 1" wide slot at the top of the window, I could slide the strips into the hole and then secure them inside at the top, like this.

I was trying to figure out how to cut that slot out. I ended up using a dremel tool with a metal cutting bit. I marked where the slot would go, then taped off the window, the trim, and the roof to try to protect them during the cut.

Here is what it looked like after I cut the slot

I inserted the aluminum bar into the slot and formed it (with a vice) to match the contour of the window trim and the window at top and bottom. I then drilled holes in the ends of the bar. I decided to paint it mat black so it wasn't so shiny. Here are the bent bars after painting.

I used machine screws to screw the stay into the roof lip from the inside and also on beneath the window below the deck lid. Before installing, I ground down the bottom of the stay so it wouldn't stick up too high and rub on the deck lid when it was opening and closing. Here is the finished product.

There is a little bit of a bow in the stay on the right side, but the top and bottom is snug, so it should do its job.
1990 Carrera 2
1966 Land Rover 109
Old 03-02-2009, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

After taking out the heating and AC system, there were some holes in the front trunk that needed to be plugged. To plug them, I just got some thin aluminum roofing flashing and cut it to shape, then either bolted or screwed it into place.

1990 Carrera 2
1966 Land Rover 109
Old 03-02-2009, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: