Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > Regional Forums > Canada

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Calgary PPI

Can anyone suggest someone in Calgary who could do a PPI on a BMW 318?

Thanks...Tim
Old 05-29-2004, 02:06 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

As I see it, the most significant potential problem is that you are from out-of-town and not likely to provide any future business to the shop doing the inspection. The shop may therefore view potential future business from the current owner as more important than telling you the whole truth.

On the other hand, and although a local BMW dealer is independently owned by someone who may face the same pressures, it is also part of a national chain with a significant reputation at stake. The local BMW dealer has already been thoroughly vetted by BMW, is continually monitored, and will have to worry about a complaint to BMW if they fail to disclose something.

So, I'd take it to one of the two local BMW dealers - either Calgary BMW in the NW or BMW Gallery in the S/SE.

P.S.: Haven't seen you at any events lately ... where have you been?
Old 05-30-2004, 01:32 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the advise Paul.

I will make an x-cross this summer, I promise. Got to try out those new tires I bought. How are the Pilots working? By the way, I took the car to Berts for an alignment. What a great guy!

Just too much going on at work to get out very much. I've been struggling to take the odd afternoon off for golf. I will try at least to show up at thr Concors even if I can't make dinner.

Tim
Old 05-30-2004, 02:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

My dad lives in Calgary and has a 99 M Coupe (Yes, coupe, not M3)

Anyhow, he has never been too terribly satisfied with the dealers there.

I am always a fan of the smaller independent shops. I took my 83 911 SC to Norden in Edmonton for my PPI and it was a complete waste of money. They didnt seem very thorough, nor could they really give me any valuable information.

Maybe try ZRAuto in Calg.... I dont know if they even do PPI's but they seem pretty serious about their cars......

Just my 2 cents
Jer
Old 05-30-2004, 03:48 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Peter or Marc at Alpine Autowerks would give you an objective BMW PPI. You can get them at 287-9114 or website Alpineautowerks.com. They are a tiny shop and are very personable and capable guys.

Bimmers, Porsches and Mercs are their chosen disciplines. Peter just picked up a Carrera targa in Arizona for himself to add to his Bimmer collection, so congratulate him if you see him - he's like a new father these days.

They are on the busy side this time of the year, but it's a great place to hang out. Usually a half dozen or so 911's on hand to drool over.

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:17 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Tim,

The Pilot Sport Cups are working very well. Bert's did a great job of setting up my car as well. I corner balanced the car myself, then had Ron set the camber at -1.5 (fr) and -1.75 (rr). A set of Hawk HP+ pads helped in the brake department as well.

I'm pretty happy with the performance these days. I turned low 103's at the last autocross (down from 111's last year on the same layout), and it was great through the corners at last week's track day. I'm really looking forward to the BMW Club's Advanced Driving School at Race City next weekend.

Paul
Old 06-01-2004, 04:21 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Old 06-01-2004, 04:21 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: