Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

FS: 1987 911 Carrera in Calgary new PRICE

1987 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe, 3.2L, G50 5speed, Marine Blue Metallic, Dark Navy leather sports seats, factory spoilers and 16 rims, original western Canadian car, tight, fast and reliable. Winter stored, annual maintenance complete and ready for spring, 168,891 km. For more info and photos, E-mail: dougrhea@telusplanet.net or leave voice mail, asking $32,900, feel free to come and have a look/ride and make an offer.

New Price! Asking $31,000......must sell !

Call Doug at (403) 807-0977.

Last edited by DJN; 05-18-2005 at 04:19 AM..
Old 05-16-2005, 06:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

See New Price edit above!

Cheers!
Doug N.
(403) 807-0977
Old 05-18-2005, 04:20 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Wow - that was a quick price adjustment!

Hang in there! The market for Porsches is a fairly narrow but determined niche - don't necessarily expect a flood of inquiries.

Looks like a nice car - good luck.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:47 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
That looks very much like my car except for the wheels. I'm in Vancouver (Coquitlam actually, but people don't know where that is), but I bought my car from a guy in Calgary last year. It also originated there. Are you sure the color isn't "Venetian Blue"? It looks like it. I have people say it looks grey or green or blue depending on the lighting.

(Gratuitous pic of my own car)

I think you're within fair market value on your price. Like Purrybonker says, it's a small but determined market. How long have you had it?
Old 05-18-2005, 10:44 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hi Gents,

Thanks for the replies and the reassurances, however, I have been advertising in Calgary for a month now and no one has even called or come for a look or drive. I would really like to sell this car by the end of May. I have owned it for over 4 years and have it maintained it with great care and enjoyment. It runs beautifully and is very rewarding to drive.

Now, if another worthy enthusiast would like to enjoy it for many years to come, everyone would be happy.

I have lowered the price to help attract potential buyers.

And yes, you are indeed correct, the precise colour name is "Venetian Blue", I couldn't quite remember.

Cheers!
Doug N

PS. Added new photo

Last edited by DJN; 05-19-2005 at 04:16 AM..
Old 05-18-2005, 02:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to mic
Not to poke at this too hard, but if this car is worth over $30k (CAN) that must mean my 89-930 cabrio must be worth over $60k (CAN)? (any offers?)

I can purchase a similar pristine car from california for about $16k-$18k USD. (about $22k-$24k CAN with taxes paid) (and that would be a california car - and there are many that eventially fail smog in CA and have to leave home (so to speak)) If that is what those go for up here I think it is time to start an import business - ( or your price is very steep)but if that is the local market on porsches - GREAT!
cuz ... since I know the process to import, and I have an enclosed 20foot car hauler.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Mic. honestly, when you look at the Canadian market, the US does appear to be more attractive Dollars wise. There are many, many other considerations though. (Like not being able to get it time wise, or buying without a test drive )

I bet your Cab could fetch the better part of $50K (Depending on condition of course)

Yes, buyers are few and far between. I think people up here are scared of the cost of ownership of these cars. (I was, but soon found out, thanks to this board, it really isnt that bad)

I paid over $20k for my 83 SC with nearly identical milage. If I am silly enough to pay that for mine, then there are definately crazier folks than I. I think he is in the ballprk to start, with a sale probably ending around $28K

Back to buying a car out of the US: My wife and I are Parrot People. (We have 4 parrots) Parrots are generally very expensive from a pet store, but reasonably priced right from breeders. The problem with buying from a breeder, is you get no time with the bird. Two of our birds were purchased from a breeder with only about 20 mins spent with each bird. Yes the price was good, but unfortunately one bird has a nasty attitude we did not see at the breeder. Our other 2 birds were purchased from pet stores. These birds we were actually able to observe and interact with (And build a relationship) , making a well informed (ALthough more expensive) purchase.

DJN is trying to sell his car. I dont think your comments are appreciated. I work in retail, and you seem like the kind of guy that walks into a store, looks at prices, then procedes to tell the staff of how you bought on cheaper over at so'n'so's shop. Not cool. I am not sure who you are trying to impress, but I don't think that tactict works.

If you want to comment to the seller, maybe you should send him. If you wish to prove some sort of point publicly, then feel free to post your car for sale at whatever you feel its worth. (And if you ask $31K, I will be over tomorrow to get it.)

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:01 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Wow! Thank you "gorfllub" for your insightful, well written reply to "mic's" post (shall we call it).

I'll just let it go and suggest that "mic" has quick look at www.canadatrader.com and does a search Canada-wide on 911 Carrera's (1984-1988) for some real numbers.

Otherwise he can add the fuel costs for the 5700 km round-trip to LA and expenses to his brilliant mathematical equation as well as lost pay for the week or so off work.

Regards to all,
Doug N.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Exactly. I check the trader weekly. Now we do all understand that the "asking" price is hardly ever the sale price. (I mean really, Why is that?) Yes, some of the Porsches in the trader have been there since I bought mine. (For whatever reason)

For me, it was the budget thing. I had a capped budget. I bought the nicest one in my budget. No, I couldn't swing even an extra 3 grand. Not to mention, last year when I bought mine, almost everything from 84 on was over $25K......

Anyhow, Good luck on the sale.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry to sound so forward in my post ...

....Sorry, I am just more familiar with the southern california market for these cars, including several porsches that i know of personally that are for sale (familiar with owners and history). I am not familiar with canadian market since I spent the past 12 years in southern california. Consequently, what I am learning is that there really is a good price that can be fetched for a good car up here in canada. Considering this, then I may consider in dragging a couple across the border during my trips down to california.

I am planning to still attend some of the regular p-events in so-cal, so I may just consider helping the northern 'P'-people in aquiring a nice set of wheels (knowing that I may recover the cost of my trip - about $1k in gas - my rig only gets about 8-miles/gal when hauling). At least this makes a good case to argue with the mrs.'s when i drag another toy back from California to play with.

Again, I am not trying to disrespect the market up here in canada. I am just trying to understand it more and now I am glad that my car is looking more like an investment (again, a good argument with the misses, so i can sink another $15k in her for a extreme rebuild that i have planned). As for the market, I am glad that like most everything else up here, things are worth much more than just the exchange rate (because we Canadians are worth it) (However, if the loonie keeps falling, then everything may change.)
Old 05-19-2005, 07:15 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

It frequently appears that there is a gap between the US and Canadian markets (911's anyway - I can't speak to other models) for these cars. There probably is somewhat of a gap, but in my experience it's not one that can be successfully arbitraged. That there are few of these cars listed for retail sale by Canadian dealers (particularily in the west) pretty much speaks to the lack of an opportunity to turn a buck dragging cars across the border.

I've now brought two 911's across the border and both times thought I was doing well in what it cost to land them in my driveway. At the end of the day I probably did ok - but the upside for me is more in the depth of the US vs. Cdn markets.

In the US you can pretty much wait out exactly the car you want in the area you want it and at the condition/price you want to pay. In Canada, 911 "liquidity" is far too thin to make it an interesting/attractive market for either buyers or sellers.

Sure the odd car is bought and sold here. But 911 buyers are a fairly small and picky group - just toss your turbo cab in the trader at $25 grand and see how many calls you get (don't worry - you can just say it was a missprint; and that price is actually $45 grand). I'll bet you wouldn't get more than a handful of serious local calls.

Ask whats-his-name at ZR motors. He got so tired of waiting for people to come buy his "imported on spec" Porsches he's pretty much taken them completely off his "exotic car" banner. Open Road Motors/Fast Lane (or whatever their called these days) have ditched the market too.

Naw, if you have a nice car - set a nice price (like the original poster here) and wait for a nice buyer. Tanking the price may not make much difference as to how loud the phone doesn't ring.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:31 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Yep, I think prices here are a little higher than what you'd pay in the States. This is my thought after seeing all the listings States side. Yet, the market here seems to shy away at times (not always) at a US car with "Miles" instead of "Kilometers". This appealed to me when I bought mine. My thinking is that it is local and carries it's history, whereas you may not really know the history of an import. Again, that was just my thinking at the time I bought. The car and owner was known to the local Porsche dealership in Calgary which did the PPI. The other more important conditions I wanted were G50 coupe with LOW miles: I got 1987 coupe with 51,800Km. I paid close to asking price; I didn't get a steal but I didn't lose my shirt. In the end I'm happy!

I'm not familiar with the work involved in importing, but I know there's more than just exchange rate; there's taxes (both in BC) and duty, and I think something else, not sure. So it adds up quite a bit in the end.

Now that I've owned a P-car for over a year and have gotten to know them somewhat, I would not be afraid to at least look State side and see what's involved. Who knows, maybe my next one will come from there. The machine is still the same regarless of odo/speedo. You just need to know what to look for.

As for your 89-930 cab mic, they typically fetch $15k over a non-turbo of same vintage/mileage/condition. I agree with gorfllub, you'd probably get well into the $50K range depending on condition.

Vancouver has a decent "population" of Porsches. Check out the local shops and see what they list at. Try these links:
http://www.weissach.com/
http://www.urbangarage.com/
and autotrader.ca of course, which is where I found mine incidentally.

Hey! Have fun and enjoy these cars!
Old 05-20-2005, 10:12 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Just some quick maths

18K USD x 1.25 = 22500 CDN
22500 x 7% = 1575CDN for GST
22500 x 6.1% = 1372CDN for Duty (car is not 25 years old)
---------------
Total = 25 000CDN

Add to that the price of the airline ticket or of you gas and your time plus the stress of buying a car without seeing it first and your're getting up there.

That said, it was still worth it for me because I couldn't find an 87-89 coupe that I liked in Ontario or Quebec at the time I was looking.

Stephane in Ottawa
Old 05-20-2005, 10:42 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Plus - insure that car before you drive/drag it up - get the provincial and/or federal inspection done, it goes on and on.

The other wild card here - one of the biggest consistent weaknesses of the otherwise relatively bullet-proof Porsche engines is valve guides. The aircooled cars are particularily susceptable to valve guide wear (actually, I don't even know if this is an issue at all with the 996's) and particularily vulnerable are cars that have been operated in heavy traffic in a hot climate.

A top end job will run $5 to $6 grand plus, plus. Ask Marc at Alpine or Hima how many top ends they've done on US origin cars vs. local cars.

I'll take a western Canadian car over a "california" car that spent years idling on clogged freeways in high ambient temps with the A/C cranked to the max any day.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:24 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Yup, But really Mic, put your car up for $31K. I will wire you the money within the hour
Old 05-20-2005, 12:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
gorfllub:
I use to have a extremely modified 911 turbo cabrio (450hp) - i would have taken your $31k (CAD) in a second for that one. I had to liquidate it from california a couple of years back cuz my smog guy left town (for good reason - and cuz the wife was harping on me having two porsches taking up the precious garage space). Now i wish i had it again now. It is going to cost me another $10k-15k in modifications to my current car to get close to being as fast (since it was smog legal when i left california).

BTW: there is no federal inspection required if importing a car older than 15years. However as for importing to alberta - the biggest risk is knowing that it will pass the provincial inspection. And yes there are the provincial taxes to live in those 'other' provinces.

sdusablon is right on the numbers for the import costs, but dont forget to add the federal inspection costs if they are applicable - $182 + $100A/C tax.

But I agree it doesnt matter where you live, you gotta love your ride to spend the bucks and/or time to maintain them.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Hi All,

Now that we have everyone talking about buying 911's, please feel free to give me a call if you feel like "pulling the trigger".

Have a great, safe long weekend everyone (i.e. keep the shiny side up!).

Cheers!
Doug N.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:09 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

OK......will someone come and have a look/drive......must sell ! ! !

Asking $29,500

Doug N.

(403) 807-0977
Old 06-02-2005, 06:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Doug:
Where else do you have the car advertized? Have you tried auto trader, etc? There's got to be someone in vancouver or toronto area that would be interested.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:17 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

Don't worry, there are alot of cars for sale right now. I know alot of people are thinking the boxsters are now a good price (good price! ha, I would have hated to buy one new and found out in 5 years it's worth half of what I paid.
As far as the 87, I would be very interested if it was silver It's a buyers market, and if I am going to spend over $30K for a second car it must be exactly what I want.
I too get the trader every thursday (have for years) amd I am seeing the same cars for 2 or 3 year for sale...some the owner is out to lunch for the price versus reality, the others are so specialized you have to wait until the one person that is looking for that exact car comes by. I know a guy selling a 993 targa that over 2 years has dropped his price by $12K and I bet he hasn't had one phone call yet.

Yours is a desirable car, and it looks like a good price, you just have to wait for mr. (or mrs.) right what they want to come along. It's the nature of our beast.

If you are lookign for a quick sale, sorry, the Porsche is too specialized for that. Drop it to $20K and bend over (not) I took 2 years to find my car, and I'm always in the hunt for my next to own, next to sell car
http://members.shaw.ca/stealthn/911SC
Old 06-03-2005, 05:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: