Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I have a 2005 997 Carrera I just imported with little hassle so far. I have the inspection forms but I need to deal with the DRL issue. I am no where near a Porsche dealer and I would like to do a quick hack just to get through the inspection. The hacks I have seen for Boxters, Caymans and 996s don't work with the 997 fuse box. Does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks.
Good news: my local import mechanic just acquired brand new software and was able to reprogram my front light module for DRLs. Just cost me an hour's labour.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #201 (permalink)

I am a bit thick, just need to confirm:

If the car is over 15 years old, then the RIV rules do NOT apply, and therefore it is NOT necessary to get the Porsche letter confirming all recalls have been completed?
Old 10-05-2009, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #202 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990C4S View Post
I am a bit thick, just need to confirm:

If the car is over 15 years old, then the RIV rules do NOT apply, and therefore it is NOT necessary to get the Porsche letter confirming all recalls have been completed?
I asked the same questions in post 181 and GWN7 was kind enough to answer.

However, I'm now looking a RoW car in the states. Does that give me any new issues to think of?

Its still exempt from the RIV program due to its age.

Canadian Border Services says...

You cannot import a vehicle that was manufactured to meet the safety standards of a country other than the United States or Canada unless the vehicle is the following:

* 15 years old or older (excluding buses);

I think there is no problem right? Anyone else bring in an old RoW porsche?

Last edited by andyt11; 10-14-2009 at 08:30 AM..
Old 10-14-2009, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #203 (permalink)
<insert witty title here>

Garage
If it's over 15 years old, you can bring in anything you please, no restriction, so long as you can produce a title and a bill of sale.

In fact, a <15 yr old ROW car in some ways might be more likely to meet CDN safety - things like daytime running lights are required in most European countries (AFAIK), same for child tethers. The only area where the US has very stringent laws is emissions.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #204 (permalink)

Thanks for the response.

Do you know of any reason that a 911 would fail a safety once back in Canada. You mention child tethers. I'm not sure I fancy some clown from Cdn Tire messing about with my car retro fitting things....
Old 10-14-2009, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #205 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyt11 View Post
I'm now looking a RoW car in the states. Does that give me any new issues to think of?

Its still exempt from the RIV program due to its age.

Canadian Border Services says...

You cannot import a vehicle that was manufactured to meet the safety standards of a country other than the United States or Canada unless the vehicle is the following:

* 15 years old or older (excluding buses);

I think there is no problem right? Anyone else bring in an old RoW porsche?
What year is it? Once a car more than 15 years old is in the country it only needs to be safetied. No child anchor issues there...and no need to go to Cdn Tire.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #206 (permalink)

Garage
Child seat tethers aren't part of an MTO safety. It's important to know the difference between a RIV inspection and a safety.

RIV is for cars 15 years old and newer and includes things like french airbag warning stickers on visors, child seat tethers and daytime runnings lights - things on modern cars that are required by law here, but maybe not in other countries. This applies to newly imported cars ONLY.

An MTO safety standards certificate (or equivalent in other provinces) is required whenever a vehicle registration (title) is transferred to a private individual to be certified for road use (that includes imported vehicles, private sales and dealer sales). It's an extensive list of safety items, from turn signal bulbs to rust holes to chipped/cracked windshields. This is required of all vehicles, regardless of age, that are to be registered as "fit", which is required to put plates on a vehicle.

If your car is 15 years old or newer, you will require both. If it's older than 15 years, you will require only a safety. You'll also require an e-test if it's less than 20 years old.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #207 (permalink)

Thanks Christien.

Since almost anything I'm interested in will be exempt from the RIV program I'm assuming a 78/79 car only having a ten digit VIN number wont be an issue.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #208 (permalink)

Garage
Technically, no, but I can almost guarantee you the border guards will be confused by it, and will hassle you. When I registered my 911 the MTO had a hell of a time figuring out what to do with a 10 digit VIN. I kept saying come out to the car and I'll show you the VIN plate, I promise you there aren't 7 missing digits.

Bring every bit of paperwork you can showing the VIN.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #209 (permalink)

The border will only be an issue if the car's VIN does not match the paperwork. You won't get it released from the US if that happens.

I don't think 10 digits will be an issue until you register it with the province. They might balk at that. Not sure though. Lots of old cars are on the road, many with short VIN's.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #210 (permalink)

French label stickers

Lorne,

Do you still have that image of the French label airbag stickers? It would be very much appreciated if you could send it through to me so I can get my new boxter s through the Canadian Tire inspection (yes, they denied me without the stickers).

Cheers,
NPHK

===============================

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorne@YVR View Post
I've seen a number of references to the need for the bilingual airbag stickers.

When I brought my 01 Boxster S into Canada (moved back here from the States) I went into a local dealer with my digital camera and took a photo of the sticker on a car in the showroom. I futzed around a bit and created a powerpoint file with the image in it.

I printed those images on my inkjet printer using Avery sticky backed paper, cut them out and stuck them onto my visors for the inspection. Went just fine ... as I recall I had to put a rubber band around one visor because the Avery paper didn't stick. As I pulled out of the inspection place I reached up and peeled them off, and they have been off ever since.

If anyone wants that image, email me ... I am happy to send the PPT file.

Lorne
Old 12-09-2009, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #211 (permalink)

Garage
I apologize i didn't read the complete forum, but I am in a bit of a hurry to negotiate a car. Is there still duty on a 15+ year old car?
2004 M3-Alpine White(sold)
2002 M Roadster (sold)
Old 01-10-2010, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #212 (permalink)

No duty on older cars. GST, PST, and A/C tax. Plus a small import fee, IIRC.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #213 (permalink)

Actually duty is payable on where the car was built. In this case Germany.... it is 6%. If you import it under the tarrif code mentioned in previous posts it comes in as duty free if the vehicle is over 25 years old as a antique.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #214 (permalink)

GWN7 is correct. Here are the answers.

Import Car To Canada! » Do I have to Pay Tax to Import a car from U.S. to Canada?
Old 01-11-2010, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #215 (permalink)

Hey guys, im looking to import a Porsche into canada myself, ive done all the research i possible could, im just stuck with one thing and thats the warranty/recall clearance letter issue...I thought i had figured out the clearance letter but then I read this one the Porsche site...

Recall clearance letters are only issued by Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd., and must be obtained through an authorized Canadian Porsche Dealer. Recall letters issued from U.S. Porsche Dealers, or other sources, are not valid.

Also the warranty for myself may or may not be an issue but I read somewhere that they are charging a 1250 fee...could anyone shed some light on that as well...
Old 01-14-2010, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #216 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN7 View Post
Actually duty is payable on where the car was built. In this case Germany.... it is 6%. If you import it under the tarrif code mentioned in previous posts it comes in as duty free if the vehicle is over 25 years old as a antique.
Hey Bruce how have you been buddy! long time no hear! We miss you on the world site

One word of advice is if your 25 year old car VIN is wrong on your papers don't try to correct it at the MTO. Just nod your head and smile and wave, they don't care.
My one buddy's vin is the model number. Another bud got f'ed over by trying to correct his.
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #217 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_J View Post
Hey guys, im looking to import a Porsche into canada myself, ive done all the research i possible could, im just stuck with one thing and thats the warranty/recall clearance letter issue...I thought i had figured out the clearance letter but then I read this one the Porsche site...

Recall clearance letters are only issued by Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd., and must be obtained through an authorized Canadian Porsche Dealer. Recall letters issued from U.S. Porsche Dealers, or other sources, are not valid.

Also the warranty for myself may or may not be an issue but I read somewhere that they are charging a 1250 fee...could anyone shed some light on that as well...
Read the RIV site first : Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Recall Clearance

"Acceptable forms of recall clearance documentation
RIV will accept any of the following recall clearance information:

A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database.
This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling their head office and providing them with the dealership’s location. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model, and indicate that there are no outstanding recalls. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication."

Which means if your buying from a Porsche dealer (not a private party) a letter from them is good enough. (If they will provide it)

If you don't like to pay for a recall letter complain to the Minister of Transport " The Honourable John Baird " bairdj@parl.gc.ca

The "RIV" is a private company owned by Livingston Int. a brokerage business. Ask John Baird why you have to pay for information that companys have to provide to Transport Canada by law (you can search for recalls on Transport Canada web site).

" The Motor Vehicle Safety Act requires that vehicle, tire and child restraint manufacturers or importers notify Transport Canada, dealers and the owners of their products about any safety problems. "

Ask him to explain why you have to pay a private company (RIV/Livingston) when you import a vehicle and then pay the manufacture for information that they already have to provide by law.

Type a serial number into a computer and push print... $1,250 Nice... GM used to charge $50.....they raised the price to $250 a week before I bought my last truck.

The letter should come from a proctologist....cause your getting it up the A$$
Old 01-15-2010, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #218 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Henry View Post
Hey Bruce how have you been buddy! long time no hear! We miss you on the world site

One word of advice is if your 25 year old car VIN is wrong on your papers don't try to correct it at the MTO. Just nod your head and smile and wave, they don't care.
My one buddy's vin is the model number. Another bud got f'ed over by trying to correct his.
Hi Mark,

I've been sort of away from cars for a bit. Spent some time last year working on restoring a 50 year old hand built log cabin on the North End of Vancouver Island. No phones or lights....just me, the dog and a few Grizzley bears.

Just getting back into manufacturing stuff.

Good to see you too
Old 01-15-2010, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #219 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWN7 View Post
Read the RIV site first : Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Recall Clearance

"Acceptable forms of recall clearance documentation
RIV will accept any of the following recall clearance information:

A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database.
This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling their head office and providing them with the dealership’s location. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model, and indicate that there are no outstanding recalls. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication."

Which means if your buying from a Porsche dealer (not a private party) a letter from them is good enough. (If they will provide it)

If you don't like to pay for a recall letter complain to the Minister of Transport " The Honourable John Baird " bairdj@parl.gc.ca

The "RIV" is a private company owned by Livingston Int. a brokerage business. Ask John Baird why you have to pay for information that companys have to provide to Transport Canada by law (you can search for recalls on Transport Canada web site).

" The Motor Vehicle Safety Act requires that vehicle, tire and child restraint manufacturers or importers notify Transport Canada, dealers and the owners of their products about any safety problems. "

Ask him to explain why you have to pay a private company (RIV/Livingston) when you import a vehicle and then pay the manufacture for information that they already have to provide by law.

Type a serial number into a computer and push print... $1,250 Nice... GM used to charge $50.....they raised the price to $250 a week before I bought my last truck.

The letter should come from a proctologist....cause your getting it up the A$$
Thank you, it was helpful,

does this 1,250 print out have anything to do with them honoring the warranty or is that something totally different. So now basically you take your car to the dealer and they look at it and decide whatever else they want to charge you extra for?
Old 01-16-2010, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #220 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: