Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

If you have lived outside Canada for a year the car is duty free. You still have to go thru the RIV to be able to register it here.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4105/rc4105-06-11e.pdf
Old 03-09-2007, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by PBH
Well I just got back from bringing a car all the way from NJ.

Just a few notes:

1) A lot of people say '72 hours notice' at the US Border. Wrong, it is three working days from when they enter your car into the system. If you fax at 8AM Wednesday, you proabably can not clear US customs until 10AM Monday. No weekends at Lewiston Bridge, Mon-Fri 9-4PM.

I drove to NJ Friday night, picked up my car Saturday AM, and headed north at 11:30AM. As customs was closed I dropped my car at tow-truck compound in Lewiston (only $15 per night) and was back in Oakville at 9:30PM. If you need to store a car near the border PM me and I'll give you a phone number.

2) US Customs took me less that two minutes. He asks for ownership, asks where the car is, doesn't even look up. Stamps my ownership and says get lost.

3) Canada Customs took 15 minutes to get the paperwork done and payment complete. Famous last words 'just give the yellow slip to the agent outside and you're on your way'.

I climb in my truck, look around, no-one is outside. Should I leave? Dumb me, no, I find an agent and hand her my slip. 'Wait inside while I search your car'. She goes through my SUV for 15 minutes, with a helper. The helper leaves, she keeps searching. She comes back, very pissed of (no reefer seeds in my car).

BB (Border b1tch): 'What did you really pay for the car?'
Me: $11,500 USFunds (totally true)
BB: How did you pay?
Me; Money order (I give her a copy)
BB 'Where did you find out about this car?'
Me: 'pelicanparts.com' (free advertising)
BB: 'I'm going to check the web-site'
Me: F-you, and your girlfriend (inner voice). Yes maam (outer voice)

20 minutes later

BB: 'Come with me'

We go into the back room, where a male gaurd stands behind me, quite ready to defend both of them against my, my ummm, I guess my car keys?:

BB: What did you really pay?
Me: $11,500.
BB: We get people in here everyday lying to us about what they paid.
Me: So you're calling me a lair?
BB: I'm just telling you what people do everyday. What is the buyers phone number?
Me: I do not know, I only communicated by email (He would not give me a phone number, I tried).
BB: I'll give you a last chance to be honest, that car is worth far more than $11,500.
Me: I have been honest, if it wasn't a good price I wouldn't have driven 20 hours to get it. You checked the web-site, he was asking $12,500 right? I offered $11,500 and he took it. (still true).
BB: You know it's a crime to misrepresent your purchase price, maybe you made a down payment in top of the money order?. (desperation)
Me: I know it is a crime that's why I have beem honest from the start.
BB: Empty your pockets.
Me: Oh good, let me know if I have any rectal polups (inner voice).
BB: She just looks at my wallet and keys, (I think she was hoping for a receipt that said $25,000 US Funds). ' You can go now'

Moral of the story? Even when you are honest you're only minutes away from a cavity search

i received the same service from the BB
Old 04-06-2007, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Great thread.
I have a question re: taxation on salvage cars.
I bought a clean title car and drove it from Boston, my whole experience was killed by taxes both Provincial and GST, as I paid close to 30 % of the total cost of the car plus all those nuisance charges. I wondered what if a car had a salvage/rebuilt title would tax be the same? Any way you can reason against it?
Also one more thing - I never knew about the temp plates so I affixed my own, the officer at Lewstone let me go across, but no one noticed anything on the Canadian side, I guess I was just lucky.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Slumlord

Presumably the salvage title is refelcted in the price of the car. You are paying taxes on declared value, not blue book.

Did you put on Ontario plates?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
<insert witty title here>

Garage
Yep, salvage title would be the same. If it has a VIN, it's a car and falls into the same category. Even if it were just a chassis, I would think the VIN tag is what separates a "complete" car from parts.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by PBH
Presumably the salvage title is refelcted in the price of the car. You are paying taxes on declared value, not blue book.

Did you put on Ontario plates?
Yes, I had Ontario plates - the guy at the US border asked me why I had those on, and I said I had them and I put them on and I had insured the car, so he just said nothing and I went onto the Canadian side - no questions there at all. So, let me get this straight, you pay taxes on clean title according to the value in the blue book, and for salvage you pay 14% off what you declare, I know I got nailed on taxes big time. The car was manufactured the US and I didn't have to pay duty, but I paid 1100 CAD GST+PST on 4500 USD car - doesn't sound too fair to me.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Hey Pelican,
Just a few questions, Im looking to importing a 2004 966 CARRERA 4S Coupe. I've noticed that the Cluster is in miles , so I will have to change it over to pass the OOP inspection (KMS). Just wondering if anyone has done this , and how much it ran them? And if I should go to a certain shop or dealership in Calgary to get this done.

Thanks a bunch ,very excited to get my first Porsche!
James
Old 05-19-2007, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

no, you dont need it to pass canadian inspection, your analog is in miles, but the digital is in miles and KM.

I bought a 996 2001 last year.

BE SURE to have no recall and a official letter from PORSCHE head office, it was free last year....

Happy porschering !!!

Martin
Old 05-19-2007, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Oh wow , thats good info to know! Thanks for the quick responce , I've been searching the net trying to find a KM cluster , and thought I was going to be screwed heh.

Hope to see some of you on the track!
Old 05-19-2007, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Thinking of importing a 2003 Boxster S. Anybody have any idea what that might cost to convert. I'm thinking primarily of the running lights and possibly the gauge cluster.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Slumlord

My friend brought in a 645 BMW convertible. Canadian Tire did nothing. I'm sure they barely looked at it. He left his lights in the 'ON' position and they assumed it had daytime running lights (it doesn't).

I would do something temporary with a relay for the DRL's if they fail it. Then just remove it later. I don't think you'll have any cluster issues since the speedo will be in both miles and km's (I think).

The bigger question: Why not a 911?

Your results may vary, but I wouldn't expect many issues. With the dollar at 92 cents they're going to see lots of cars coming in...
Old 05-26-2007, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Okay, now that the dollar is cooperating, I'm ready to commit to bringing a Porsche back from the US. Just a couple of questions for you guys who have done this before:

1. Emissions - RIV site steers clear of this discussion. Would a late model 911 from Florida meet Ontario standards without mods?

2. Daytime running lights - how complicated is this to have added to a US car

3. I have heard that the speedo / odo can be switched from imperial to metric on late model Porsches. Does anyone know if this is true ?

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
<insert witty title here>

Garage
1. Don't know, but remember e-tests only apply to cars 20 years and younger, so 86 and earlier are exempt. (not sure exactly what model you're talking about. Literally late model 911, or late model meaning 996/997?)

2. Depends what model, but generally, pretty easy. On my boxster it was a fuse and some wiring, I think $80 parts and labour at Mantis.

3. Any speedo with a digital readout of the speed can be converted - all 996/997/boxster/cayman/cayenne, AFAIK.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2007, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
If newer than 15 years old, RIV will do the inspection for compliance and will send the car for the provincial e-test. Later than 20 years, as Christien said, is exempt .. (I think 1987 and earlier are exempt from etest).

If the Florida car is stock, you might want to check with Porsche to see if the emission requirements are the same for whatever province you're in. If aftermarket, i.e. no cats, removed O2 sensors, expect some trouble or be prepared to convert back to stock.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Sorry, should have clarified late model... 2000 Carrera
Old 06-02-2007, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Awesome thread!

Hello fellow Canadian Pelicans.

I am importing a car from Rhode Island, bound for Halifax.

The car is a 1979 SC (Euro), and the owner says that Rhode Island would not issue a 'title" for a car that old. The car is registered in that state, so the owner obviously has a "registration" title. Is this situation going to cause problems at the border?

I am planning to have it shipped in-bond to Halifax. Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

T
Old 06-08-2007, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

I'd phone the Rhode Island, Dept of Motor Vehicles and ask them what sort of title they do issue. Then call the port of export (US side) and ask them if what your going to get is ok with them. The bill of sale is all Canada Customs is interested in.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Slumlord

That might cause more of an issue with US customs letting the car out of the country.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dvkk
You are right about this little known rule. Unfortunately, many Canada Customs officers don't know it.
A friend of mine was importing an old car at the crossing nearest to Vancouver and 4 CC officers didn't know the rule. He ended up paying the duty, then getting it back after applying for a refund.
Does anyone know if this is just for cars from the US?
Old 06-11-2007, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

with any luck, I'll be importing a 997S next week.

I'm trying to get the Porsche dealer i did the PPI to issue the recall letter.

anyone have one lying around or an easy way to get one? Will Porsche NA issue one to you?
Old 06-14-2007, 03:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: