Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Slumlord

Yes, Porsche North America will do it. I think they faxed mine to me. You need some documentation for the car before they will release it.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
<insert witty title here>

Garage
The real trouble comes in commercial imports, so you should be fine getting one from PCNA. Where are you located? If you're GTA, just make sure you rub the import in the nose of our local dealers
Old 06-14-2007, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
Man I cannot tell you how timely and helpful this read was, on my first visit to Pelican. I just signed the deal this afternoon on my very first Porsche. An '87 911 Carrera from California. I am so excited. This car was the one on my wall when I was 10. (that makes me thirty)

Thank you to all who posted and to Christien for starting it.

Can't believe I own a Porsche...

1987 911 Carrera
2001 Volvo XC70

Last edited by Fronnzy; 06-25-2007 at 07:32 PM..
Old 06-25-2007, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
It's a damn great feeling, isn't it? I was 29 when I bought my first one, and I too had pics of them on my bedroom wall when I was a kid (I'm 32 in a couple weeks) so I know EXACTLY how you feel!!!

Take comfort, too, in knowing that you probably saved a fair amount by shopping in the states, and make sure you let your local dealer know that, too!

Congrats, and make sure you post some pics when it arrives!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Garage
A pic of my new friend...

Thanks!

I already have lots of photos. The seller has been fantastic, he is the one who recommended checking out Pelican. Not sure his user ID.

I'll just add one for now.

So much to read, so much to learn. My wife is going to love this...

B.

1987 911 Carrera
2001 Volvo XC70
Old 06-25-2007, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Garage
Looks great! Love the polished fuchs!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Another recent import

I'd like to say thanks to Christien for starting a great thread outlining all the steps necessary import a car. No hitches at all. Flew down to Toronto and drove to the boarder less than a month ago to do the deal on a 2003 Boxster S from a NY dealer. Car is flawless and loaded with options (over 12k$ US).

The federal inspection was no problem. Annoyed at the Calgary dealership for telling me that the digitial speedo couldn't be converted to kph without bringing the car to the dealership and hooking it up to the computer. Called Eurasia in Edmonton to get instructions...5 minutes later the job was done. Still tempted to write PCNA to complain.

The local dealers in both Edmonton and Calgary were annoyed that I shopped out of province but at the same time they were unwilling to deal on older and lesser Boxsters. They wonder why they can't sell cars. Enjoying the sun with the top down.

Anyone out there looking for a nice 944 Turbo still trying to unload my first Porsche.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
Re: Another recent import

Quote:
Originally posted by murn
Annoyed at the Calgary dealership for telling me that the digitial speedo couldn't be converted to kph without bringing the car to the dealership and hooking it up to the computer. Called Eurasia in Edmonton to get instructions...5 minutes later the job was done. Still tempted to write PCNA to complain.
Do it. That's just terrible. Man, I wished you'd asked me - it takes 6 seconds to do it yourself, IIRC. That's the amount of time you have to hold the little dial thingy turned to the left for it to click over. For them to say you have to bring it in is just lying. I'd never call them again. Hmm, sounds like a dealership around here...

Anyway, enough of the negativity, congrats on a beautiful car! I've always like guards red on boxsters. Just in time to enjoy a beautiful summer with the top down! I miss that about our ex-boxster (sold). Enjoy!!!

Chris
Old 07-03-2007, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
MURN,

Nice to see another Albertan. Cold Lake eh! Will be that way in a matter of weeks. Great looking car- it seems mint. Did you get a broker to do the paperwork or all yourself?

I leave next Friday - fly to California and then drive 24hrs back. After a drive like I sure hope I don't have any issues. Talked to another PP member and he gave great instructions to come through Sweetgrass Montana. Did you drive from Ontario home or ship?

Bjorn

1987 911 Carrera
2001 Volvo XC70
Old 07-03-2007, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

I'd do the paperwork yourself it was like 30 minutes at the Boarder when I crossed. Typically the brokerage fee is around $300 CDn based on the transport companies I called. Seems excessive for less than an hour of your time. If you follow the directions on this thread you will be fine.

Shipped the car from Toronto to Calgary around $1000 CDN, had my brother pick it up and get it registered for me. I would have drove but not enough vacation time.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Garage
The trucks have to go through the commercial side of the border, which is why their brokerage rate is higher. At least at Niagara Falls the wait is at least an hour, if not 2. It's a nightmare.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Daytime running lights on a 997?

I have a 2005 C2 enroute from the US to Vancouver, BC.

My usual Porsche mechanic said the daytime running lights conversion on a 997 has to be done by the local dealer (MCL), because they apparently have some specialized hardware. MCL wants $1,000 for the import conversion requirements. This seems like highway robbery!

Does anybody know if there's a way to get around this? I've found a hack to enable daytime running lights on 996s and Boxsters but not the 997s...

Any tips appreciated.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
Sounds like a bit of a ripoff to me, but it's possible something changed for this between 996 and 997. Best bet would be to post your question on the rennlist 997 board - it's a bit more active in terms of tech stuff for newer cars than here.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Slumlord

First off, I believe that Canadian Tire is approved to convert all cars, and I ahve heard they have a price list for each make and model.

Secondly, why not instal a relay to turn the headlights on with the ignition? I do not believe there is a requirement for front lights only, nor is there one that requires reduced voltage operation. Won't this pass?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

So.... I checked with Canadian Tire, but they confirmed the daytime running lights conversion on my 2005 997 has to be done by the dealer. (My vehicle is NOT equipped with the Sport Chrono package - if it were, apparently I could have adjusted the DRL setting myself).

However, instead of having the DRL conversion done by the local dealer (MCL) I had it done by the US Porsche dealer who I used to perform the pre-purchase inspection. He did it at the same time and charged me all of $20!

I believe that leaves only the speedometer/odometer imperial/metric conversion, which my mechanic says is achieved simply by turning and holding the speedo trip adjustment knob (or whatever its called) counterclockwise for 5 seconds.

If that is all that is involved, it seems awfully shameful that I was quoted $1,000 for the "conversion".
Old 08-07-2007, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Slumlord

Shameful, but typical from what I've read. The dealers think they are getting screwed over by cars coming in from the US.

And how is this a dealer only upgrade, when it's a $20 mod?

Speedometer issue can be solved by km/hr stickers, then remove them once you pass.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Hey Pelican!
Thanks for all the info.. I can now say I have my new baby safe at home...
2004 Carrera 4S

Old 08-14-2007, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBH View Post
Shameful, but typical from what I've read. The dealers think they are getting screwed over by cars coming in from the US.

And how is this a dealer only upgrade, when it's a $20 mod?

Speedometer issue can be solved by km/hr stickers, then remove them once you pass.
Don't forget the French only seatbelt stickers.......that must be what's worth the other $980
Old 08-14-2007, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

The happy ending...

My 2005 C2 successfully passed its federal and provincial inspections yesterday.

The imperial/metric speedo/odo change was a simple case of selecting the preferred user setting in the computer menu.

I was a bit alarmed because PCNA, in the recall clearance letter it provided me, stated that the instrument cluster needed to be changed to the Canadian version.

However, the digital speedometer readout was good enough for the Crappy Tire inspectors.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Wow! This is an awesome thread. I am in the market for a 2002-2003 Boxster so I am checking south of the border now. I now know how to bring it back. My recent concern was the conversion of the Spedometer from Miles to KMs. I see information on this and when I get the car I will be looking for exact details how to do it.

I will find someone to fix the daytime running lights and then it should be ready for Can-Tired.

I'll keep you posted.

Mark
Old 09-04-2007, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: