Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Je suis une Canadien

Completed Day # 3 in Ontario and now on to Day # 2 in to Quebec.

Sorry for the lack of updates but these first few days of the trip have been spent on getting to the eastern side of Quebec City - job now accomplished. Am in Riviere du Loup for the evening.

Didn't have an internet connection outside of Montreal on Monday (I think that was yesterday) so no updates.

As for the charger - well I got one. Checked kijiji whilst in Sudbury - there was an old advert, but decided to email just in case. The guy did have one and delivered it to my hotel room the next date. Fate I say, and it is one more reason for why I really like Sudbury. Sudbury and the highway from Nipigon to Marathon are my two favourite locales in Ontario.

As for Quebec - WOW, who knew. I have been running the # 138 from outside Pembrooke all the way to Saint Simeon on the north shore of the St. Lawrence. For me its one of my big highlights so far. Nice, semi quiet road, that meandered through all the farms and small towns of southern Quebec - I love it.

People I have met have been great and no issues so far with my limited French.

Tonite I spend the night in Riviere du Loup - on the south side of the St. Lawrence (I took the ferry from St Simeon). Stunning sunset from the rear of the ferry - hopefully the pictures will work out.

Had rain from Montreal to St Anne de Beaupre. Before I left home I added some more sealant around the windscreen rubber hoping to prevent moisture intrusion in to the cab - it did not work so well.

Car is starting to look its part after covering 2200+ miles. Between me and the bird being inside for 10 hours a day its looking rather well used. The exterior is also not shining as it once did thanks to countless bug guts, rain, road grime, dust and mud. Will leave it as is until I hit PEI.

And I thought that my clutch was dying - it still might be I am not sure. Started smelling some burnt fluid and clutch seemed to be slipping a bit. So I got paranoid and paid lots of attention to it for about 500 miles. Finally at Quebec City I said forget it and tried to ignore it - amazingly the 'problem' went away. Not sure if the whole thing is in my head or not, but hopefully the issue is not serious. Will keep driving as is for now - what else will I do.

And one question before some pics - do our clutches have fluid that you can check / top up??

Bonjour Quebec

Yamachiche

Ste. Anne de Beaupre

Am not a religious person, but at this locale the rain quit and the sun sort of peaked out. Also noticed that the clutch seemed to work a tad better. Not saying anything, but ya know ......

After 50 or 60 hours of seat / cage time the interior has seen better days.

A Fleuve St. Lawrence sunset

I think tomorrow is Wednesday - time for the Gaspe!!!

jb

1980 911SC
Old 09-20-2011, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

You car's clutch will be cable operated. You may be able to adjust it.

Have a read on the tech forum about it. Hope its not going to be a problem.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Je suis une Canadien

Andy - thanks for the update on the clutch.

Once in a while I get a smell of burning oil, thought it was cluid fluid. Must be brake fluid then, or possible tranny fluid as it does not smell like engine oil. Something to check on when the mood hits me.

jb

1980 911SC
Old 09-20-2011, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
The cable adjustment should be easy (caliper and a couple of wrenches). If you doing the Coffee Run in N.S., I'm sure one of those Scottie's will offer some help like a lift.

If it persist we can lift her up on you way back. I do have all the brand new parts; Omega Spring, Cables & hardwares, from the pedal cluster to the clutch (one of the winter projects).

Photos are great, keep them coming. What is the mane of you companion?

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 09-21-2011, 02:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Je suis une Canadien

The name of the companion (aka the dude) is James Bond. He was born on the 1st day of the 1st month of the year 007. I thought it worked well. Now if I could just afford an Aston Martin I would be set.

1980 911SC
Old 09-21-2011, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Je suis une Canadien

Today was a shorter drive - only a few hundred miles from Riviere de Loup to Perce Quebec.

Road was quite entertaining as it started out through farm land, then it hugged the coast for a long time (including cautionary signs for waves washing over the highway). Then it got inland a ways.

Was not expecting much on the drive and then I hit about 1/2 hour of great driving fun. Climbed a long hill and then as it dropped back down the road made a hard left hander. Kinda went like a roller coaster after that for a ways. Too much fun.

Ended up in Perce, Quebec for the evening. All I can say is WOW. Car is definitely not looking as pretty as it once did - but it is still operating well. Noticed in the morning that it is a bit balky at starting, but am putting that down to cool evening temperatures, many day time miles, much different humidity and elevation.

Will try and get some photos on later.

jb

1980 911SC
Old 09-21-2011, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
By the time you get here, it'll be time for an oil change and wash I'd imagine.
2011 Nissan Juke
1992 Nissan NX 2000
Old 09-21-2011, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Je suis une Canadien

Internet connection is not the best, so here are some of yesterday's photos

1980 911SC
Old 09-22-2011, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
[QUOTE=ArcticOne;6268218]...
QUOTE]

Had a few drinks on board her when she was operational in Halifax

Also did a few "pipi" from the Conning Tower

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 09-22-2011, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Je suis une Canadien

JJ - way too cool. Glad you shared that.

1980 911SC
Old 09-22-2011, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Je suis une Canadien

Today was another 300 ish mile day. Cranked over 3000 miles for the trip.

Was up super early this morning to catch sunrise - and it was totally the highlite of the day (possibly the entire trip).

Found out more Canadian history in Restigouche before crossing in to northern New Brunswick. Skipped the coastal route this time and instead allowed the car to wind it out down the 2 lane freeway.

It is still running fine, but looking much worse for the wear. Will give it a good cleaning whilst on PEI.

1980 911SC
Old 09-22-2011, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Those French guys have a different word for almost everything!
Looks like you are having fun. Thanks for the photos.
Are any of those submarines that we bought from the UK still in service?
That was a good deal, eh?
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybek View Post
Those French guys have a different word for almost everything!
Looks like you are having fun. Thanks for the photos.
Are any of those submarines that we bought from the UK still in service?
That was a good deal, eh?
Billy

Don't get me going...

It was a $1 deal, so with the government that cancel project 2-3 years after signing, DND does it best... VICTORIA Class

JB

HMCS Corner Brook & Windsor are in Halifax. With any luck some guy from the Coffee Run maybe be in the Navy so you might get a chance to see them up-close, mind you I could not afford a Porsche when I was in the Navy

Old 09-23-2011, 02:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
And don't forget the tour tomorrow! Meet in Truro around 1 pm at Tims!
And let's hope for no rain
2011 Nissan Juke
1992 Nissan NX 2000
Old 09-23-2011, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
It was great to meet you, have a safe trip home.
2011 Nissan Juke
1992 Nissan NX 2000

Last edited by gtihop; 09-26-2011 at 05:53 AM..
Old 09-24-2011, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
When will you be arriving in Ottawa?
Old 09-25-2011, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
Had a few drinks on board her when she was operational in Halifax
It looks like the guys who drove her there did as well...

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Je suis une Canadien

Greetings all - am still carrying on with the travels. I didn't have internet whilst at the cottage on PEI. So while I did not make any postings I still did lots.

Friday - Confederation Bridge. WOW
Saturday - Fall run with PCA Acadia Region. Great bunch of guys and how do I export those roads back to the flat lands of the prairies????? Was great meeting you Jeff - hope you had no worries making it home.
Sunday - Last Fling Show + Shine in Charlottetown. Awesome setting and an awesome day.
Monday - toured the east coast of PEI. Intent had been to get around the island, but I made it about 5 % of the way. Too much to see.
Tuesday - in to Sackville to visit my niece at Mount A. What a great looking school.

Now I have 2 days before I start the westward trek. So far I have three options - a quick run about the Cabot Trail, a run over to Halifax to see the war memorial or a leisurely drive round the Bay of Fundy (tides are at 47 feet right now).

Updates (and some photos) on my blog at: jsbulmercreations

Sorry for the lack of many details or photos here, but tis getting late and Wednesday could be busy.

Ottawa is Friday night through Sunday morning. Will be visiting with the sister on Friday night and touring O Town sites on Saturday. Hopefully Cars and Coffee is still a go on Sunday.

Will need to check the maps, but think this is at Launching PEI. Thought it was the sort of pose that Porsche would use for advertising back in the day.

1980 911SC
Old 09-27-2011, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticOne View Post
Ottawa is Friday night through Sunday morning. Will be visiting with the sister on Friday night and touring O Town sites on Saturday. Hopefully Cars and Coffee is still a go on Sunday.
Seeing as we'll be receiving a VIG (Very Important Guest), Cars & Coffee will happen rain or shine! If you're in need of a driveway and some cleaning supplies, just ask!

PS: One of our locals made mention of possibly bringing his parrot down in his skunk-striped long-hood targa to meet Mr. Bond Hopefully parrots behave better amongst their peers than my cat does.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
A run around the Cabot trail is about 8 hours starting and ending in Baddeck. It's hard to enjoy it and see the sights in a short time.
Halifax has alot to see and not a real long drive. Took me about 2 hours to get home from Amherst.
If you're in the Halifax area and need to change the oil or anything before you head back just let me know.

2011 Nissan Juke
1992 Nissan NX 2000
Old 09-27-2011, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: