Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Garage

Garage
Vehicle Name
Year 1986
Make Porsche
Model 911 Carrera Targa
Color White
History The story of my Porsche. I have wanted to own a Porsche 911 from the first time I ever laid eyes on one. Growing up in the seventies, I grew up in the passenger seat of one uncle’s MG and the other uncle’s Triumph motorcycle gas tank. Around 2001 after years of dreaming of an MG I finally acquired a 1971 MG Midget. I loved and cared for this car for many years. Around 2007 I acquired my 1964 Triumph T100sc Motorcycle. Equally, a dream come true. But every time I would see a 911 I would stop, photograph and dream the dream of ownership. In the spring of 2012, I came across a hand job of a fellow selling a 1980 SC 911 for 10K. Although the car needed work, I thought here is my chance, do it. I sold the MG and called the hand job for week with no return call. Finally with cash in hand I managed to get in touch. The hand job backed out of the deal. So, cash in hand and a dram away from 911 ownership I decided to go to the bank for a few more “K” and make this dream come true. Several trips in and out of state, revolver on hip, cash in a zip lock, yielded my 1986 Porsche 911, Targa, Carrera.

The add;

On offer is my 1986 911 Targa. The beautiful and nearly flawless white paint is nicely complemented by the burgundy interior and black Targa frame and roof section.

The car comes with substantial but probably not complete service records, all of the original manuals, 2 keys and 2 service books -- a Haynes and the better Bentley publication.

The car starts, runs, drives, shifts and stops all very well as it should. The 200 HP at 5,900 rpm, 3164 cc engine is very strong with excellent power throughout the rev range with satisfying torque 185 ft-lb @4,800 rpm in all the gears. The transmission is the 5 speed 915 Type with cable operated clutch. The service records indicate one recorded clutch replacement and it is slip free and bites with authority.

All of the white face gauges are in proper working order as is the modern replacement radio / CD player. A Momo leather wrapped steering wheel with Porsche center is installed.

The body is extremely sound with no rust anywhere at all. The entire body surface is as smooth as glass. The battery area and spare tire (space saver style) area are likewise without rust. All glass is in excellent condition. A complete stainless steel exhaust system including heater boxes (from Borla) exits from two rear oval outlets.

The tires are very good and the wheels are excellent without any curbing damage. The suspension is firm yet compliant and the steering is wonderfully direct with front grip being telegraphed to your fingertips with that unique Porsche feeling.

The interior is of a burgundy color and cloth covered seats from a Porsche 944 have been installed. The door panels and dash top are in fine condition without any rips or tears and likewise the rear jump seats are in good original condition. The carpet sets seem to be some kind of replacement kit and while serviceable and without damage, they are not the greatest ever seen.

This critique continues into the front trunk area where a full lining set in the same burgundy color is installed. The original jack and tool kit are included.

Some negative points are that the air conditioning doesn't work due to loss of charge. The passenger's electric window lift works fine but is a bit noisy. The engine area soundproofing blanket deteriorated and has been removed. The Targa top had some of the usual age-related surface cracks near the folding zones. I've repaired that with a flexible sealant that has withstood numerous flexings and has shown to be rain-proof.

All in all this is a substantial, powerful and attractive 911 from what has been argued to be the best era of the air-cooled models.

Long of the short, a dream come true…
Exterior

Performance Upgrades Since I acquired the car in June 2012

Completed Porsche projects

Oil change 10/2012
Oil additive
Gear oil change 10/2012
Air filter
Polished and painted wheels
Stripped and under coated wheel well
Fuel filter
Shift bushings