Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > Garage

1st 911 - (D) Series 1970-1972
Dial 911

Vehicle Name 1st 911 - (D) Series 1970-1972
Year 1970
Make Porsche
Model 911T
Color BLACK
History In 1978, I had looked for many months to find a one owner low mileage 911... I eventually found one but unfortunately it was that bland VW/Volvo like beige.

*No offense meant to those who like this particular colour - 'Sand Beige'
Exterior I decided to purchase the car even though it was a colour that did not appeal to me. A few days before it was purchased, I had made arrangements with a highly recommended shop that agreed to let me do a lot of the work myself. E.G. - Taking it apart, including letting me assist in the complete, in and out paint stripping with 'Dulux's' auto-aircraft paint stripper; like every crack and cranny. The shop helped me to reinstall the doors, hoods, glass, and I then carried on with the rest of the assembly.

It was painted with PPG's premium two-stage acrylic urethane, baked oven cured. No colour sanding was required, only a light compound polishing.

I used only Genuine Porsche parts througout, which included new seals - e.g. doors, front and rear glass, 1/4 side windows, front fenders, hood, trunk, door handles, all lights, ect. I completely replaced all of the many variety of seals on the car. Also installed were new front and rear park/signal/brake light lenses, windshield washer nozzles, wipers, etc.

I also had all of the doors hardware, the two hoods latch-ware, including an assortment of bolts, nuts, washers, springs, hose clamps etc. zinc replated....It ended up being more of a restoration than just a colour change.

Interior Black Basketweave - Blaupunkt Am-FM radio

Due to some very minor sun damage in one spot, the dash pad was also replaced with a Genuine Porsche pad. The rest of the interior was in excellent condition.

Performance Upgrades Stock

Engine / Under the Hood All tin work in the engine compartment, including the carb filters were paint stripped, etch primed, primer- undercoated, then sanded and repainted with a semi gloss black which was also done with PPG's acrylic urethane.

The fan housing was polished, with the fan blades being prepped, etch primed, primer undercoated and painted red using the same - PPG's acrylic urethane, and bake oven cured. A 'very' detailed engine, and engine compartment.

Suspension Stock

Wheels and Tires Option: Fuchs alloys, including the spare - I had all of them polished.