Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Garage

Garage
Vehicle Name
Year 1975
Make Porsche
Model 914
Color Red
Packages 1.8 liter L-jet
History Purchased in 2011: 85,000 miles and hell hole and lower firewall rust. Plus a dropped valve seat ruined the head and one piston. I did the work to rebuild the engine and fix the rust. I have not welded anything since 1981.

Started driving on a daily basis in July of 2013.
Exterior Back dated the bumpers. Found some painted bumpers, cleaned them up and used POR-15 on them.

Back dated the gauges to 120mph silver dot and R/L silver dot tach. Used the flasher circuit to get the blinker indicators to work right.

Car also came with the sail vinyl. I tried some black rattle can "truck bed" spray. Surprisingly it really looks good.

Interior The PO had recovered the seats with cloth in the 90's. They look decent enough. UV is turning them gray-ish.

I bought 4 VDO gauges and mounted them under the dash. volt, oil temp, oil press, CHT.

Also found a combo gauge for the dash. So I have an OEM oil temp in the dash. It matches closely to the VDO. I might replace the VDO oil temp with a clock.

I found a letter box to mount on the tunnel. my carpet is black, this part came out of a car with camel carpet... oh well, it works

Also have camel or tan door cards.

Performance Upgrades none to speak of...

I did have Dr. Evil from 914world.com rebuild the tranz. It was grinding in 2nd. He gave me the whole ball of wax, tons of new and improved parts, the diff was adjusted. pushing 15,000 miles in two years.
OUCH

Engine / Under the Hood started with a 1.8 liter. beefed it up to a 1911 cc with the 61mm crank from the 1.8, AA pistons, KB cylinders, hastings rings, type 4 store mild FI cam, swivel foot rocker adj. screws, cut to fit chromoly push rods, new solid lifters, solid rocker spacers, HAM cleaned and repaired my heads, new seats, valves etc...and opened the ports to 2 liter size.

Suspension all stock, no sway braces, all new replaceable parts... New Elephant racing front bushings, same on the rear with new torsion bars on the rear. New rear trailing arm bearings. 1 new axle with Tangerine Racing CV joints. passenger side is OK for now. KBY all around for now.

Wheels and Tires aftermarket ATS 4-lug cookie cutter looking wheels. Nothing special on the tires.