Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Garage

Garage
Vehicle Name 951
Year 1986
Make Porsche
Model 944 Turbo (951)
Color Black
History Many people have asked me why I own a Porsche 951 and how I became an owner of one. This had all started in 2002 during college at Texas A&M - Corpus Christi. In high school I received a stock '94 Jeep Wrangler (YJ). During college, I turned this YJ from stock to a monster rock crawling machine. With the help of friends in WFO-Offroad, I learned a great deal about automotive work. This was because to transform my YJ into a rock crawling machine, I had to do things such as axle rebuilding, transfer case rebuilding, brake swaps, chassis work, suspension design, etc. During those years building a rock crawler wasn't like now where you could buy things and bolt them on. Everything had to be fabricated and designed yourself.
When I owned the YJ, and was daily driving it (when it was street legal), I thought that it would be cool to have a car to drive around instead of the YJ. I wanted a car which was the complete opposite of my YJ. I wanted a fast car. Of course, compared to my YJ anything was fast. I always thought drag racing was rather lame, and loved cars that handled well. I also wanted something rather unique, and not something you see every day. I also wanted a bit of style. I thought that the Porsche 944 was the perfect car. They were cheap, somewhat plentiful, the parts seemed rather cheap. Most importantly, the car just fit me. One of my other best friends has a '83 NA 944, and it just fit me perfectly. The steering wheel, shifter, seat; the whole car just seemed like it was made for me. I found many 944s for sale, however being a poor college student, I didn't want to have two car hobbies draining my money... one was enough. Instead of buying a litttle car, I bought a truck to drive every day and tow my YJ to the off road trails.
Flash forward to 2008. I had graduated college, I had a steady job, everything was great. At this time, my YJ was strictly off road only. Since diesel fuel was so expensive, it cost around $800 to go on an off road trip when you add diesel, food, trail entrance fee, beer, etc. I could only feasably do it two or three times a year. Thus, my YJ sat in my garage 95% of the time. It depressed me and I began wanting some other project that I was free to enjoy more often. I brought back my wishes of a little car. I felt that when I wasn't working on the car, I could drive it any time I wanted. I also wanted a car for long road trips. I've never had a vehicle that got more than 20 mpg, so I never go on road trips as much as I'd like. I simply love driving, and if I had an econimical car, I'd go somewhere almost every weekend.
When thinking of a car to replace my YJ, it needed to pass a few of my requirements. First, I wanted a car that was unique, stylish, and handled well. Second, it needed to have all the features of a modern car like air conditioning, cruise control, etc. Third, the car needed to have the storage capacity to take myself and one other person on a cross country trip with all of our luggage, spare parts, etc. This third requirement is why I didn't go for something like a Toyota MR2, as it is much too small. One night I thought about the car I fell in love with years ago; the Porsche 944. However, now I could afford a Porsche 944 Turbo...
I love European cars. I love that they are more econimal on fuel, smaller, and usually have better handling then many American cars. I will say that I love the Porsche 911, but they are just so expensive. I just plain can't afford a 911 of any year. However, I will say that the Porsche 944 is somewhat unique in that for its vintage, it blends in well with many modern cars. This is especially true for the 85.5+ cars due to their updated interior. Honestly, many people do not know my car is as old as it is. The Porsche 944 was a radical design for its time. Honestly, park a '86 911 next to a '86 944 and the 944 looks a decade newer.
I began my search for a 944 Turbo. Sadly, they're pretty rare. Another bad thing (for me) is that it seems 90% of these cars are red. I hate red cars, and refuse to own one. Basically, I narrowed my choices down to a white or black 951. I also didn't want to buy one on eBay. I wanted to personally drive and inspect the car. One finally popped up on Craigslist near my area. I went one night, test drove it, checked over things, and purchased it.
The car was pretty clean. It had 140,000 miles on it, but it sure didn't look like it. It needed some work. The seats were torn, the dashboard was cracked, etc. However, it did have some expensive recent repair done which I didn't want to do, such as timing belt, water pump replacement, and clutch replacement. The car ran like a top, and I drove it 120mph during the test drive. I was able to haggle the price down quite a bit when I complained of what was wrong with it. However, he didn't know that I could perform all this work myself. The guy I bought it from couldn't do any maintenence to the car himself, and was used to paying $100/hr for service. I bought the car that night and drove it home.
This car has turned out to be just as I hoped it to be. Something that I can tinker with to pass time after work, but something that I can take out and enjoy at any time. It has been down for maintenence in my garage for a large deal of time, but it still sees much more use than my off road only YJ. This is why I don't plan on making this car a track only car. I want to enjoy it at any time, and be comfortable.
Exterior Lindsey Racing Three Piece Crossmember
Lindsey Racing Two Piece Crossover Pipe

Interior MOMO Prototipo Steering Wheel
Four Way Power Sport Seats
VDO Boost/Vacuum Gauge

Performance Upgrades 951MAX DME/KLR Chips
Wastegate Shimmed 3mm

Engine / Under the Hood 2.5L Porsche M 44.51
Ishihara-Johnson Crank Scraper
Lindsey Racing Oil Pan Baffle
'87+ Oil Pan
9XAUTO Fuel Rail Pressure Gauge