Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > Early BMW Cars (2002, Bavaria, etc.)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

loss of power/chugging in 76' 2002

Hello, I'm Fiona.

Below is a picture of my beautiful 76' 2002. My mom bought it in 92 and after she passed I found a 6 page letter asking me to promise to never sell it-- and the deal is on. Plus I love my BMW, and I'm having fun slowly learning how to work on her myself. It's been surprisingly great!

I just got her switched from an automatic to a 4 speed, and after the conversion she was running really rough- wouldn't go over 40 on the freeway and there was this constant pull-back jump thing, like she wasn't get enough gas. A friend and I (the friend being a professional mechanic) swapped out the carburetor and reset the timing, and now it's BETTER but still she won't go over 50 and the jump thing is back. It's like she doesn't get enough gas to the engine, and when i start her in the morning she will constantly stall out till she is warmed up-- sometimes as long as 8 minutes turning her on again and again till she stays running.

Does anyone have any idea what could be happening? I'm in LA, and I'd LOVE to get her back on the road as my day-to-day before it gets too hot and the lack of ac begins to kill me. Anyway thanks everyone! And all hail the 2002"s!

Old 01-25-2016, 12:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Regenerated User

Garage
My 02 was running rough, now I can't start it. I suspect it is a bad coil/plug wires. The plug wires feel like they're barely on, but I think that is how old school connectors work.

Giving you a bump, sorry I can only commiserate.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
SharkHead

Garage
Hi Fiona,

Great story, I definitely understand your desire to keep it running. I imported my 1st 2002 (a '72 from Holland) in '82 and love the 2002...I do not have the '02 anymore, have a '72 3.0csi I imported a year later.

Your conversion sounds incomplete, did the car perform as expected right after conversion? If not, the mech' needs to complete the job! However, sometimes that is not going to happen...
Please open the bonnet and take some pics: overhead, from the driver-side looking at the carb (try to show vacuum lines), take a pic of the coil area, the distributor, and from the exhaust side.

Your symptoms could be vacuum related?? Does the car idle ok and what rpm does she hold at idle.

Jon
'74 1/2 MGB , 125k Sahara

Last edited by JhwShark; 03-22-2016 at 04:18 PM..
Old 03-22-2016, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I had that problem with my Tii and it was the fuel pump. The filter was on the out side of the pump and I think debris from the tank got into the pump and eventually it stopped. I bought a new pump on ebay and put the filter on the in side of the pump. So far so good!
Old 11-29-2016, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: