Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > Early BMW Cars (2002, Bavaria, etc.)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
New to BMW and the 2002

I'll preface with the fact that I have a rather complex question, that I've seen discussed a number of other places, but I guess every person's situation is a little different. My current daily driver is a 2012 mustang 6-speed and my weekend driver is a 1969 Porsche 912. I love the 912 and don't think I'll ever part with it unless I absolutely have too. The mustang on the other hand is quick, but kind of boring to drive and I absolutely hate the solid rear axle (didn't think I would dislike it as much as I do). I loved it when I first bought it, but since then, it's just not fun to drive. The 912 is a blast to drive. Slow... but does everything I push it to do. If it never rained or snowed in the northeast, I'd drive it everyday despite not having any heat or A/C. That in mind, I've been toying with the idea of selling the mustang and getting a well sorted 2002. I live in the northeast and there's certainly the concern of salt in the winter. I almost bought a 76' 2002 2 weeks ago for about 10k. It had a recent engine rebuild, ireland spings, weber carbs, etc. looked like rust was pretty minimal yet had all the fun stuff... too boot, the seller claimed he drove it daily, snow/shine in Long Island since 2006. Whether he was just trying to appeal to what I was hoping to hear or not, I'm not sure. The guys on Porsche forums here at Pelican have helped me a lot with sorting out my 912 and I was wondering if you guys could help shed some light on whether a 2002 could fit my situation or not.

As a side note, I'm a general surgery resident, so I often get called into work on a moments notice. Also work at 3 hospitals ranging from .5 miles to 8 miles with a short drive on the interstate with a speed limit of 55mph.

Looking for Engine #4096213
Old 11-25-2016, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
To be honest, until I read that you're a surgeon I was going to say "Absolutely get a 2002" - I would think that you need something really reliable; which the 2002 can't always be. Although the Mustang is 'boring', being a 2012 model year, it is reliable. I don't think having 2 older cars is the way to go. Just my 2 cents. Let us know how you decide to proceed.

-Dmitry
Old 11-25-2016, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I'm not sure if it's fate or what, but the 2002 that I was looking at that 'sold', is back up for sale. Apparently the buyer couldn't front the money. As much as I want a 2002, I think the best decision would be to wait until the spring, once the salt is properly off these northeast roads. That should give me a few months to sort out the car and do a proper undercoating to get it set for the next winter. I also talked with the seller some more and he said if it does not sell this time, he's going to hold onto it until the spring as well. I may not buy a 2002 in 2016, but I will get one eventually.

Looking for Engine #4096213
Old 11-27-2016, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
5String

Keep in mind that like the 912, the 2002 makes absolutely no accommodation for safety. No crush zones, no airbags, no nothin'. You take a good hit, most likely you're toast. Sad, but there it is.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

If the 2002 is a dream car and something you've always wanted to own, then do it. The B7 RS4 was a dream car of ours and regardless of the issues that come with Audi's we purchased it. We have put A LOT of our time, money and efforts into fixing things, but it's worth it. Just be sure that you're savvy enough to do repairs when needed and thankfully you have us as a parts supplier to help with costs on parts.

We do have a 2002 tech library here: BMW 2002 (1966-1976) Technical Articles - Pelican Parts. It's not extensive, but there are some things that can help in there. Also, if you have to tackle jobs yourself that aren't listed in the library, we offer 10% off your next parts order if you submit your own articles here: Enthusiast Tech Article Submissions - Pelican Parts.

Good luck with your future purchase!
Old 01-04-2017, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
SharkHead

Garage
A solid '02 can be a lot of fun...I imported from Netherlands a '72 2002 in 1980 bringing to N California.

I put over 150k km on it driving in snow and ice and sun. I did have snow tires for my twice weekly drive up for skiing; the euro did have undercoating. Never an issue in cold or sun...no A/C/ but sunroof.

I believe when we all drove back in the 70's our: maser's, coupe's, gullwings, speedsters, dino's...no airbags...no worries...

Snowflakes should not own old classics...
'74 1/2 MGB , 125k Sahara
Old 04-25-2017, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: