Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > European Car Forums > MINI Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Downstream throttle air leak

HI GUYS-2007 MINI COOPER S TURBO. REPLACED THE TIMING CHAIN -STARTED UP PERFECTLY RAN WELL-THEN LOUD CHATTERING NOISE STARTED FOLLOWED BY DTC P1497 DOWNSTREAM THROTTLE AIR LEAK-THE CAR NOW STARTS UP OK BUT IMMEDIATELY MISFIRES AND STALLS IN 1 MINUTE-THE PLUGS ARE SOOTED UP/BLACK.
I MISPLACED YHE RETAINING CLIP FOR THE SMALL BREATHER HOSE THAT CONNECTS TURBO /MF TO VALVE COVER ( IS THIS ESSENTIAL). I've LOOKED FOR LEAKS RETIGHTENED CLAMPS BUT NOT GETTING ANYWHERE.
APPRECIATE IDEAS THANKS ALECS

Old 11-02-2019, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes, that is your issue! You are experiencing a vacuum leak (unmetered) since it is behind the throttle body. You are talking about the pcv hose running from the VC correct?
Old 11-02-2019, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yes it seems to have more than one description -the hose sits quite well in position without the clip-but I wondered if the body of the clip does a sealing job as well as retaining . I'll go downtown to Mini BMW and get one-asap.
Thanks for that.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

So it wasn't the Retaining Clip. I cleaned the plugs-new clip in place all secure. starts up easily-runs ok for 30 secs then begins to falter misfire and stalls after another 30 secs. I took out one of the plugs completely sooted up-even thick black dry coating. The engine was obviously burning oil-lots of exhaust smoke.-Turbo seems hot. If I have to solve this by elimination any ideas guys on the first option-PCV, MAF, Turbo, Vac Pump ?
If the plugs are so quickly sooted up does this suggest Injectors doing their job-its a rich mixture burning. What does the DTC Downstream Throttle Air Leak imply ? Grateful for any suggestions Thanks Alec.

Last edited by ALECS; 11-14-2019 at 07:43 PM..
Old 11-09-2019, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The best way to check the pcv is to pull the dipstick when it’s running and listen for a change in idle, or a whistling noise. I would suspect you have a major boost leak and that’s why it’s running so rich. Did you forget to plug the vanoss solenoid back in?
Old 11-13-2019, 11:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If the dipstick doesn’t change the idle try thoroughly inspecting the hose running from the valve cover down fo the intake. It’s ribbed plastic covered in a mesh sleeve they are prone to breaking especially if you’ve jostled their intake around. They get very brittle with any age and will cause your p1497 code.

I pulled my hose off and it was completely parted under the mesh.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions-I'll get to them this weekend. I didn't remove the Vanos sol connector but I'll check it. I certainly did wrestle with the intake hoses when I replaced the timing chain so maybe I have a big leak around there.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ok -progress made. I checked all the hoses for cracks-nothing evident -re-made all connections cleaned up the plugs. Started her up-similar to before but as it started to falter I disconnected the MAF- it immediately settled down and ran fairly smoothly at idle for 20 mins-I gently increased the revs a notch and it settled back to idle ok-theres some wheezing going on and it doesn't sound too good (rattling|) but no stalling-it was a bit smoky-the Turbo seemed to overheat for a moment then settled down. Any suggestions where to go from here-I've still got the CEL on -should I clear the original DTC's-Downstream Throttle Air Leak and a second pending with no info? Appreciate any suggestions-Cheers.-a new MAF Sensor ?
Old 11-23-2019, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Check the PCV hose running from the back of the valve cover down to the intake. It’s an accordion style hose wrapped in a webbing, they are prone to breaking or cracking and it’s hard to tell since it’s covered in webbing. I removed mine cupped my hand over one end and blew in the other and heard the leak.

Does the dip stick tube whistle when you pull the dipstick up while it’s idling? This is the best way to tell if the pcv diaphragm is torn.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Cleaned the MAF Sensor-no change-engine wants to stall immediately when the MAF is connectd. No whistling when dip-stick lifted. I did a pretty good check of the PCV webbed hose-I cut the original webbing off and replaced it-no obvious cracks. Engine idles well with MAF disconnected. If there was a vacuum leak- would it not stall with MAF disconnected ?
I think I'll take the VC off again-I was a bit liberal with the gasket goo when I put it back together-but it seems to be well sealed-I sprayed water around a lot of joints including the VC when it was idling trying to hear for a change in engine note-nothing obvious.
Thanks for suggestions.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: