Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > European Car Forums > MINI Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

2008 mini cooper s p1338

Hello all, my gf recently got a 2008 mini cooper s, a few weeks into ownership the CEL came on with the reduced engine power light as well, the code it shows is a p1338 camshaft position sensor open/ shorted to B, we replaced the camshaft position sensor (it has the n14 engine and online says there is only one on this model) and it did not fix the issue upon driving the car about 30 minutes of had driving went by and the lights came on and the engine power was reduced once again, I then saw online its possible the vanos was dirty so we removed it and it was spotless, I don't notice any timing chain sounds to indicate the chain is at fault, could this be a wireing issue instead? Also is it possible this may be the timing chain tentioner going out? The car runs fine besides the reduced engine power, it cranks a little before it starts but it always dose start up
Old 05-08-2018, 01:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Depending on the MINI FC Code:

P1338 0x296A Camshaft Position Sensor Rationality Check (Inlet - Outlet)
P1338 0x2DA0 Intake camshaft: Angular offset to crankshaft is outside tolerance range

For P1338, if replacing the camshaft sensor does nothing your engine timing could be off. I would check your timing.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yep I took it to a shop that dose minis and BMW cars, after an hour or so they called to inform me the plastic guide on the top of the timing chain has started breaking causing more slack and a little bit of a timing issue, we are getting it replaced next week, the shop is gonna do it for $1,150 not bad when the dealer wanted almost $4000 for the same job, thank you guys for youe help anyways!
Old 05-14-2018, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
mini cooper s , p1338 , r56