Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Regional Forums > New Zealand / Australia

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Radar Detector

Hi I know it is illegal to use a Radar Detector in most states in Australia but is it illegal bring a detector into Australia from the USA through customs in your luggage? Can anyone enlighten me.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would just take it out of the box and carry in my laptop bag with my other peripherals, it would just look like an external hard drive. You can buy very good ones here anyway
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 11-22-2009, 01:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Chas,
they are legal in WA and can be purchased online
Brand New Beltronics STi-R Remote Mounted Radar Detector - OZtion Auction Item 8711475
1973 2.4E Coupe ex HK ex Norfolk Island ex NZ
Old 11-22-2009, 02:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Radar detector

Thanks guys but price ex USA is US$499 and price ex WA is AU$799 plus postage etc. Looks like I might put it in my luggage !!
Old 11-22-2009, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

when they outlawed them in the Eastern states the word was that the fuzz had detectors that showed that you were packing a detector, anyone know more about this?
Old 11-22-2009, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

After having a couple "confiscated" I know that story, but the Bel STi 'stealth' I understand is undetectable by even the latest Radar detector detectors use by the police. Can any one confirm this ?
Old 11-22-2009, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Not sure about the Bel stealth, if you have it well hidden in a car and can turn it off before you're pulled over, the fuzz is not allowed to remove any piece of your car to look for it. You have to make sure you deny having one and don't crumble under the pressure. A friend of mine had one in Tas in 993TT, he was pulled over and denied it, they searched the car and found the receipt for the install in his glovebox... The car was towed and he had a $3000 fine, true story.
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 11-22-2009, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Wow I don't like the bit about the $3000 fine. Must have been the same cop who took mine a few years ago but I took it to court a my smooth talking lawyer won the case and the police had to give it back to me. I can tell you I was rather afraid to go and pick it up from the police station and was extremely cautious about sticking to the speed limits for a while !!.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
"Radar" detectors are fast becoming redundant in Oz - most systems now use laser. Laser = speed of light speed calculations with little to no "scatter" for a detector to pick up on. This means the copper/camera knows your speed and has locked in your vehicle speed before any instrument can warn you.

There is such an animal as a laser "jammer", but they require exceptional knowledge of laser systems to build and tune...

I was a copper
Old 11-24-2009, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks John but I understand that the Laser gun used by QLD police, the LTI Ultralyte and any Laser unit can not be used in a moving situation. This then reduces the chances of being pinged by a mobile unit on the road to a certain extent. The point you make is a good one, however I hear that ninety percent of the guns used at present are the radar type.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
I'm a Country Member

I,err, know someone who has one and has frankly given up using it. I know that this one is a laser/radar detector and was procured in the USA. Some observations:

Useless against the slant radar used in mobile speed cameras (in Vic). The detector usually goes off as you enter the beams.
Hard to mount for effective use. Because they are illegal, you cant mount on the windscreen right in your eyeline like a Tom Tom in a minivan.
At one point in Vic, the fines were bigger for a RD than for an illegal gun.
The rozzers used to have detector detectors, ask me how I know this.
Talking to a traffic cop friend just last week about this- they are still illegal, they love confiscating them from gadget loving Asian students. In Victoria they have the power to confiscate on the spot, and they CAN and will rip out fixed wiring on the side of the road.

So, you cant speed on freeways because of the myriad cameras, and the detector is pretty useless around town. But in Victoria at least, all you need to do is take one turn off the main road on to the road less travelled, and you will never see a camera or a highway car. They go where the percentages and the money are.

Chas, PM me- I can ask my friend if he is done with his Uniden.

Pikkiwoki. A pig and all the coconuts you can carry. Convert now.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Interestingly, the imported and contractor for the Ultralyte systems is an avid early 911 collector in Melbourne

My police background is from Victoria where we used the Kustom Falcon radar and the "Lectdetctor" which is a time-over-distance instrument that doesn't emit any signal. In a later life up here I ended up using the laser Ultralytes in a marine field, so I've had to learn a bit about both systems.

No portable "gun" unit should be used in a mobile situation. The "in car" systems actually have a diode facing forward and another to the ground so that ground speed is accurately deducted from terminal speed.

There is also a fair difference between K and X band radars - my memory fails me now but one "scatters" far less than the other, and it's the "scattering" version that the Americans are fond of. So the speed detection devices being used here in Oz don't really give that much of a warning to a detector anyway. You should also be aware that the Gatso systems that have been around for so long in Europe are fast making way here - they are now using an induction loop system set in the road that will give you absolutely no indication (should the government elect to use them that way) - obviously this is really only good for new roads though.

Honestly I think we're on to a hiding to nothing. I am no fan of revenue raising - and I am a believer that it's not speed that kills at all. However, I am a whipped john-citizen these days and just can't be bothered expending the energy and stick to the limits. Save your money for a track day rather than a detector...

Stuart makes a good point - take the B roads
Old 11-25-2009, 12:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thank guys for your input. You have now convinced me to not invest in a detector.
As most of us are, I am not a lead foot I just tend to drive at what I consider a safe speed keeping in mind the conditions etc. Unfortunately again like most of us I tend to have a slight lapse and not notice some unrealistic speed restriction zone. I will just have to to be more diligent in future.
Thanks again
Old 11-26-2009, 01:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
...rumour has it and perhaps John might shed some light, but I was informed that when Police setup a stationary radar operation eg around that blind corner for an hour on Sunday morning, it is still an 'operation' and therefore it is documented for want of a better term. The rumour that I heard was that Tom Tom have a service that you can subscribe to that will have those 'operations' in their system and warn the Tom Tom user. Supposedly the cabs have been using this service for some time. Now whether this was a rumour started by someone trying to sell a Tom Tom appliance, I don't know, but it did make me wonder????
Old 11-27-2009, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Under workplace health and safety legislation, any hazardous place to work (roadside on a blind bend) has to have a risk assessment and a safety management plan in place. Coppers used to routinely ignore this until there was some serious injuries, and a policeman was actually "booked" in Qld by a WPHS officer after the officer observed the policeman darting out into traffic to pull specific cars over... Yes there was certainly some controversy there I guess the risk assessment data would be available to those who knew where to look.

In Qld there are prescribed traffic camera locations, so speed cameras up here (currently) will only be used in those areas - and that information is available. Having said that, speed camera vehicles are heavily marked and have signage... you have to be asleep to miss them. But how long that lasts is anyone's guess - it's only a matter of time before the government 'needs' the additional road safety revenue a clandestine set up offers.

I think we all know there are favourite places the police like to sit as they are easy to set up and frequently get tickets... If Tom Tom has taken the time to gather up that anecdotal evidence, then it might be a useful reminder to a driver.

And now for my soapbox...

I honestly think the populated places of Australia will eventually become like England with a 'speed safety' camera every kilometre or two making it impossible to maintain an average any greater than the prescribed limit. The capital revenue this creates is just too tempting for a government to ignore and the "speed kills" propaganda that has so cleverly been indoctrinated into young people over the past 25 years starts to become 'fact' in every voter's mind, so that eventually entire generations are actually voting for the idea

The government glosses over the plain truth behind an increasing road toll. That the vast majority of crashes are a result of the ever increasing volumes of traffic sharing ancient roads. We are simply ever increasing the statistical chance of mechanical intercourse through our growing population and infrastructure. Untrained drivers, lack of courtesy, impatience and a general p!ss poor attitude displayed by so much of society on the road these days will ensure that the road toll will never decrease, and the government has an excuse to keep taxing the 'crisis'.

Stepping down off my soapbox...

I take a train to work, ride a bicycle to the shops, and keep my anti-social fossil fuelled 911 for early morning country drives and track days...
Old 11-27-2009, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Well said John. We are being continually dumbed down and sheeplike. We'll never win against a lying Govt, and moronic general public. I think you've got it right. Don't sweat what you can't beat.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

ha, I just logged on to say the same thing! 'Well said John!!"
'18 C63S Coupe
Old 11-27-2009, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
I'm a Country Member

VIC leads Australia in this. Roadside camera cars are unmarked, and while they tend to be in the same locations for the reasons Fishcop mentions, you cant possibly know all those locations.

Im sure most of us are in the category of driver that rarely gets booked or photographed but I picked up two camera fines days apart about 12 months ago after all static red light cameras in Victoria were quietly converted to red light AND speed cameras. So merely driving through the intersection on a green light earned a speeding fine.

All Melbourne’s toll roads and major freeways are studded with fixed cameras. You know it is biting when the tabloid Herald Sun starts screaming about hidden cameras on the Eastlink and Debbie from Narre Warren is complaining that she couldn’t possibly have been booked 8 times in 8 days travelling 5kmh over the limit. All this is good- its mainstream, it becomes harder for the Govt and police to push the mantra of carnage on our bloodsoaked bitumen.

The Vic Govt earns so much money form camera revenue it is ridiculous. And its all outsourced to Tenix. You are being photographed and fined by a private company operating on behalf of the Govt and enforced by the police.

The good news for those us that enjoy a drive it is now so unusual to see police in a police car enforcing road law, it is actually cause for remark. The fixed and mobile cameras are located on major arterials where they will earn the most money, never on winding mountain accents. Or indeed one street from any main road.

The bad news is that driver behaviour in Victoria is at all time low. People have no idea. All they are aware of is that they must not speed. So talking on cell phones, lane discipline and generally driving with your head up your arse is simply de rigueur.

Pikkiwoki. A pig and all the coconuts you can carry. Convert now.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: