Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > Regional Forums > New Zealand / Australia

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Sooo moving back soon. What to buy?

So i'm road tripping in Barney down the coast to LA then shipping him off back to Sydney August this year. Just wondering what you guys would buy to either leave in the car while being shipped or ship it back separately.

Are parts in Aus ridiculously expensive/scarce? I've been spoilt the last year with an abundance of used parts here in north america. Don't see many ads or ebay listings in aus. Do most of you order from the US and just eat the shipping costs or is there a hidden site that I havent found?

Was thinking of buying a spare set of fuchs to bring back but shipping will be a killer.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:27 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
Ship back as much as you can in the cabin of the 911!

We've been enjoying a strong AU dollar, so most thins are just bought through Pelican (or others). Most of us just stump up for shipping, but you can get a few people together and defray shipping costs. There are also freight forwarders that can be used of odd items.

I would certainly bring some extra fuchs back. Also highly desirable here are oil cooler lines, gages, early car (skinny bumper) stuff, and any other items that can't easily be mailed overseas cheaply. Some good mufflers are sometimes hard to get also.

Just my 2c
Restoration of my 69 911
My car proudly fuelled by Early-S-Man's advice - RIP Warren
Old 05-22-2012, 05:56 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Three lefts make a right

Garage
If you haven't renewed/upgraded your suspension and plan to, then torsion bars, shocks, sway bars.

You can pick up Fuchs here in Sydney for around a grand if you're patient, so weigh that up vs US costs.

If your smile is tired, throw one of those in.

Strangely, I've found distributor rotors to be ridiculously priced here - $40 vs $11 at PP - so throw a few of those in.

Tools if you are so inclined... I brought a floor jack in the car, not really any cheaper but better quality for the money.

Anything long or heavy is a candidate.

As John says, as long as it's not oversized or heavy, if you bundle up your order to just under $1000, even with shipping it's still significantly cheaper to buy in the US and ship across.

Good luck!

Al

PS if it has A/C, don't forget to either drain it or - more easily - become a 'refrigerant dealer' prior to the car being shipped!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:54 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Haha great tips guys. Nah car doesnt have AC so won't have to worry about picking up a new profession.

Ill have to see if I have any excess cash by the time i leave then
Old 05-23-2012, 08:31 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: