Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile View Post
Wow, I don't doubt that the underlying premise (i.e. that "the system" is upset over a decline in revenue due to better / safer options like Uber and Lyft) is the law that you can't even go to your car to, say... retrieve something? Start the engine to keep warm / charge your phone / because your GF kicked you out? I thought "operating" a motor vehicle entailed putting it in motion on a public roadway but I'm curious to know how they busted someone for simply opening a car door whilst wasted...
A friend of mine got charged with DUI because he was drunk, sitting in his car in a parking lot with the radio on — was just listening to the Yankees game and waiting to be picked up because he was too drunk to drive. Since the keys were in the ignition (and I think the engine was running) he was charged with a DUI, even though the car wasn’t in motion.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFusco View Post
A friend of mine got charged with DUI because he was drunk, sitting in his car in a parking lot with the radio on — was just listening to the Yankees game and waiting to be picked up because he was too drunk to drive. Since the keys were in the ignition (and I think the engine was running) he was charged with a DUI, even though the car wasn’t in motion.
And you still think you don't need an attorney?????????????
Old 07-05-2018, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
And you still think you don't need an attorney?????????????
Who ever said that I thought that? I sat down with an attorney this afternoon.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 07-05-2018, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Information Junky

I'll just drop this here...

Old 07-05-2018, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Good for you...the attorney.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Quote:
sitting in his car in a parking lot with the radio on — was just listening to the Yankees game and waiting to be picked up
A HS friend said he chucked his car keys 50 feet away before the cop got there. Explained the specific code to the officer and was probably a ordinance pia punk. He had a friend drive it home. He wasn't a menace to society at large but some of his associates were.

Another friend's kid was on his 4th or 5th DUI and was looking at hard time with another one. Sad.

Your friend was on private property with no evidence of public street use and out of jurisdiction.
Technicalities, but he still gets a lawyer tax for doing the right thing.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

I'm with Bill

Good move. If he is good you will only pay a fine and get the ticket wiped so it never shows up on your record.
Quote:
Who ever said that I thought that? I sat down with an attorney this afternoon.
In 2007 I was flying down Mt. Pilot in North Carolina at around 95 mph in my 911, next to me, pacing me, was an older mini van with kids jumping over the seats inside.

I got lit up by instant on Radar, my V1 went nuts. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw Barney Fife coming down an entrance ramp with his lights on.

Guess who got pulled over?

Not the mini van, because safety.

He clocked me at 96 in a 65 wrote me for every mph. Mandatory court date etc... he mocked me for having a "fuzz buster" and it not helping me.

Morning of the court date I called the courthouse and got the magistrate on the phone. I informed him I was in Florida and would not be there. I told him Inwas willing to pay full fine if he would drop the speed. He did to 10 over with still the same fine plus court costs.

I got lucky I would never push my luck again. I would lawyer up next time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 07-06-2018, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims5543 View Post
Good move....

Morning of the court date I called the courthouse and got the magistrate on the phone. I informed him I was in Florida and would not be there. I told him Inwas willing to pay full fine if he would drop the speed. He did to 10 over with still the same fine plus court costs.

I got lucky I would never push my luck again. I would lawyer up next time.
You didn't get lucky....it happens all the time imo. One can always do as SM suggested earlier...see what they offer first, THEN pay an atty if they don't....but they DO for a model citizen like myself

Oh yeah....the only time in my much younger daze when I was WAY more stupid than ever....I actually pulled over to sleep it off....guilty I was .
Old 07-06-2018, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
I got nailed for 92 in a 70 near Death Valley. Nothing out there at all, might as well have been Mars. Cop wouldn't knock it down to under 90, just said to call one of those ticket-fixing lawyers on billboards in Vegas and get it knocked down to a parking ticket. I did and it worked. Yup, it's all about safety and the law.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Don't know about the rest of the country but can you ever ask what "we do" in Penn? Officer, can I possibly have this changed from speeding to a 3111? A 3111 is failure to follow posted signs. If the LEO sees that you've got no record of any kind he/she may give you a break as a 3111 carries a hefty fine but does not include points on your license.
Honestly pleading your case in front of a typical judge if you have history of no offenses may include a lower speed or change to 3111. Most judges do tend to be rather fair if you are honest and would include a statement of "I fxxked up and was not realizing how fast I was going in my new car". Note that does not include a statement of "wasn't paying attention"
Old 07-06-2018, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
If you are going to drink and drive you better know all the rules of the game. And there's a lot of rules. The below is a basic rule... but you wouldn't know it until you play the game!

Quote:
A friend of mine got charged with DUI because he was drunk, sitting in his car in a parking lot with the radio on — was just listening to the Yankees game and waiting to be picked up because he was too drunk to drive. Since the keys were in the ignition (and I think the engine was running) he was charged with a DUI, even though the car wasn’t in motion
Old 07-06-2018, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
DUI = DRIVING Under the Influence. Key word - driving. As in, motion involved. But then again, that'd make too much sense...

Black Cars Matter
Old 07-06-2018, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile View Post
DUI = DRIVING Under the Influence. Key word - driving. As in, motion involved. But then again, that'd make too much sense...
Probably reads as "operating a vehicle".... you can even be riding a bicycle . Doesn't matter....it's all about $afety doncha know .
Old 07-06-2018, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC911 View Post
Probably reads as "operating a vehicle".... you can even be riding a bicycle . Doesn't matter....it's all about $afety doncha know .
My niece got busted for DUI on her moped.
14 535i M Sport
Old 07-06-2018, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
DUI is a huge money maker for states and cities. They absolutely do not want fewer cases. It's a cash cow and comes with a few cottage industries. The only people who really want it to end are those who've lost friends or loved ones to it. Those on the business end of it want more of it. And business is good.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

A few years ago, a dude was busted in Boulder for DUI on horseback. Seems he was riding the horse to Utah for a wedding.

https://kdvr.com/2013/09/09/photos-man-apparently-arrested-for-riding-horse-through-boulder-while-drunk/
Old 07-06-2018, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berettafan View Post
In Va about a decade ago!

Story is on early S reg somewhere.

agree it's a tense thing to go through. short version for us was high dollar LOCAL WELL RESPECTED atty.
I got a reckless driving ticket in Virginia 2 years ago. I was clocked 105 in a 65 mph highway. Mandatory court appearance.

I got a lawyer from the area where I was ticketed. He went to court for me, got a deal where it was reduced to improper driving, with a fine, and 60 hours community service Lawyer was not cheap but I did not like the idea of going to jail.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy83 View Post
I got a reckless driving ticket in Virginia 2 years ago. I was clocked 105 in a 65 mph highway. Mandatory court appearance.

I got a lawyer from the area where I was ticketed. He went to court for me, got a deal where it was reduced to improper driving, with a fine, and 60 hours community service Lawyer was not cheap but I did not like the idea of going to jail.
You paid to be represented in court imo, and this is perpetuated by a bit of "fear mongering" by the industry. Have you EVER known anyone who's gone to jail for speeding... 40 over? Me neither ....just doesn't happen, and if you are somewhat respectable in court (clean record), your outcome happens every single day....but much cheaper...jmho.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy83 View Post

I think your lawyer sucked if you got 60 hours.

My friend did 108 in a 55 (VA)
and didn't even hire a lawyer,
and walked with 80/55, 6 points, and $900 fine.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
I know a Pelican who lost his $7k legal battle over speeding and had to do 24 hrs in jail when it was done.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: