Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
cycling has-been

Recommend decent camping tent.

Had to trash my 1982 Sears Hillary canvas wall tent after I broke camp at the Glen in June. Multiple top seam leaks, floor completely disintegrated.

Looking to replace with a mid, to high range, non-backpacking tent with at least a 8x8 footprint and a 6 ft center height.
Most of the popular websites feature Coleman, Eureka, Kelty, etc, etc, and I don't know the ins and outs of the major brands. Are there any 'must have' features or options that I should be looking for? --- oh, and one-man set-up would be a huge plus.

Since most of the tracks I visit now have hot, private showers, I will probably use the tent 4-10 days/year, but I don't want a piece of junk that will rot in the attic when not in use.

Thanks in advance, Bill K

Here's the old warrior's last stand:

Last edited by bkreigsr; 07-07-2018 at 03:17 PM..
Old 07-07-2018, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Information Overloader

I gotta say that is one truly awesome foto.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I think I got my last one at Costco. You will find a good tent. It will take up far less space, weigh way less and set up easier. However, it will not have the awesomeness of your last one.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbob View Post
I gotta say that is one truly awesome foto.
Yes it is.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
I have a six man tent from REI. Their brand. It packs down into a smallish duffel size. Super easy to set up.

Look for tents that you donít have to thread the poles into sleeves. This REI tent you just hook the tent to the bent pole externally so it is an easy one person set up.

I use it for solo trips with my truck. I put a cot in it and it is huge. I can stand up to pull on my pants. I will look to see what model it is tommorow.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

A mistake I made with my tent purchase. I bought a tent with various areas/compartments. It seemed a good idea at the time. One part for belongings, an area for food, a part for the dogs to sleep. It worked out that a large tent had very little room inside for the people. The dogs slept jammed in between girlfriend and me and our belongs were spread all over the place anyway. Plus it was a real IQ test to put the tent up.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

resident samsquamch

I'm on my third season with the Marmot Limelight 3P. It's what I bring to all the car races...packs nicely in my 993. If this one fell apart, I'd likely buy another.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 07-08-2018, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
Spend the money on a eureka or Kelty or the like. Basically if REI doesnít sell it, you donít want to own it. Even the REI house brand stuff is good.

Coleman tents are junk. My scout troop had three different batches of them and they got progresssively crappier over the years.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

We had a Eureka - Dome style but with a bedroom and room to stand up in. Really nice, but unfortunately it was too long for many of the assigned pads in CO state parks.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
cycling has-been

All good stuff - REI shopping it is then.

Any good words for the Cabela's/Bass Pro Shop stuff? Didn't Cabela's used to have their own branding, and wasn't that pretty high-end?

Bill K

Last edited by bkreigsr; 07-09-2018 at 08:29 AM..
Old 07-08-2018, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
I have a Wenzel that has been pretty good to me. I have had it for about 13 years and go camping maybe once a year.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
Old 07-08-2018, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

REI Kingdom, Basecamp, or Hut come in various sizes and have good reviews.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreigsr View Post
All good stuff - REI shopping it is then.

Any good words for the Cabela's/Bass Pro Shop stuff? Didn't Cabela's used to have their own branding, and wasn't that pretty high-end?

Bill K
I have several tents. My 6-man Cabela's tent is great when I need a lot of space and don't have to carry it far. Very high quality and doesn't ever leak, even during ferocious storms. Highly recommend it. 6' 3" high.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/hunting-outfitters-camp/outfitter-tents/pc/104791680/c/104757480/sc/104481180/cabelas-alaskan-guide-model-geodesic-tent-with-fiberglass-poles-person/1546762.uts?slotId=3
Old 07-12-2018, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
A Secret Place

I have no recommendations on a tent (at this point in my life the only tent I will ever use will be the bar tent at my daughter's wedding).

I just wanted to add to the chorus of positives on the picture...love it.

Kitchen clean.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I have a Coleman like this that I have been using for 10-12 years. Works great, lots of room, has stayed dry in the rain and sets up easy. I would buy another one for sure. Dave

Old 07-12-2018, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
I have several tents. My 6-man Cabela's tent is great when I need a lot of space and don't have to carry it far. Very high quality and doesn't ever leak, even during ferocious storms. Highly recommend it. 6' 3" high.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/hunting-outfitters-camp/outfitter-tents/pc/104791680/c/104757480/sc/104481180/cabelas-alaskan-guide-model-geodesic-tent-with-fiberglass-poles-person/1546762.uts?slotId=3
Thanks Grimm - I had already made a desktop shortcut to that tent.
I like it a lot, and the sale price is an extra plus.
Bill K
Old 07-12-2018, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Administrator

I use the same tent as Nordwest posted. Hasn't let me down for 4 years!
I'd recommend REI as well though, my friends have nothing but great things to say about their own line!
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Non Compos Mentis

I've had a Eureka! Brand backpacking tent for several years, and it is still like new.
When I moved last year, I found the literature that came with it, listing the new improvements and features for....... 1984!

Wouldn't hesitate to get another Eureka.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Update: I bought s 6-man Alaskian Guide from Cabalas. It was huge and heavy. I probably could have parked my 912 inside and still had room for a game of twister with friends.
I traded it for a 4-man - same model. Upside, it's a perfect size for my purposes, downside it's only 4'8" high - so, no standing straight up when putting on my Hopalong Cassidy pj's. Another downside is that the 6-man was on sale (minus $100) and the 4-man was at full price - so the delta was only a $26 credit.

Question: How long can I expect all the plastic clips to last? Replacing the clips looks like a big needle and thread job.

Bill K

Six Man:

Four Man:

Old 07-28-2018, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: