Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Designed for old men? Not this one. Having been an avid motorcyclist for what I consider it's glory decades, I just cannot stand most of the new designs.

As for designing bikes for a younger market, in theory that's a good idea but I'm not seeing much interest between young kids and motorcycles. I don't know one that would prefer a motorcycle over the latest smart phone. I don't think the industry will die completely, but I think it will continue to decline in the Western world. In the parts of the world where motorcycles are just a means of transportation, I think they will continue to be popular.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post

As for designing bikes for a younger market, in theory that's a good idea but I'm not seeing much interest between young kids and motorcycles. I don't know one that would prefer a motorcycle over the latest smart phone. I don't think the industry will die completely, but I think it will continue to decline in the Western world. In the parts of the world where motorcycles are just a means of transportation, I think they will continue to be popular.
It's not theory, it's practice. I've recently developed a new food. The first thing I did was google "millennial food trends" to see if they would buy it.

A quick google reveals motorcycle sales took a hit after the 2008 global meltdown but were climbing fast just prior. If the right bikes are designed for new young markets today, they will sell. Electric bikes, bikes designed for women, bikes designed with millennial tastes in mind...
Old 08-03-2018, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

And what do you think a millennial's taste in motorcycles would be? Assuming that you could find one that knows how to ride one, of course
Old 08-03-2018, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

There's a reason market research companies are hired to do focus group testing.

Sand and snow bikes are selling well to millennials. I see them all the time on streets and roads.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
You would think these would sell better then?
Old 08-03-2018, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

KC's speculation on the new HD.

Harley has historically worked with peak-power piston speeds of 3,500 feet per minute. Piston speed is just twice the stroke in feet, multiplied by rpm. Its engines, when bikes are tested on rear wheel dynamometers, tend to produce stroke-averaged net combustion pressures of 120–130 psi at peak power, and 130–140 psi at peak torque.

https://www.cycleworld.com/closer-look-at-harley-davidsons-new-975-and-1250cc-v-twin

"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power."--Benito Mussolini
Old 08-03-2018, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Some of you guys really should look into jobs at Harley Davidson. They could use folks like you, with your in-depth knowledge of the motorcycle market, your uncanny ability to understand and predict future market trends, and your amazing engineering expertise. Why, if they had folks like you on board, they just might be able to save their company from its impending doom and maybe even achieve a position of market dominance...

Oh wait - they already dominate the markets in which they have chosen to compete. Their 50% (+/- a percent or two) share of the worldwide heavyweight motorcycle market has been a reality for, oh, a couple of decades now. Yes, the entire motorcycle market is really hurting, but one company still manages to claim for itself about half of all new bike sales in the markets it pursues. That leaves the other 20 or 30 manufacturers scrapping for the other half of the market.

So, yeah - geez, Harley have absolutely no idea what they are doing. They need you guys. I'm sure they will pay you a fortune to save them from themselves, to ward off their impending doom. What are you waiting for? Hop to it!

The fact of the matter is that this represents an exciting new direction for Harley. A direction many of you armchair experts have been clamoring for for an awfully long time. Now that it looks like they are actually taking it, without anything more than one god damned picture to look at, you can't wait to tell all of us just what they should have done differently, how they are doomed to failure, and just how smart and handsome you are in comparison. You guys crack me up.
"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 08-03-2018, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Well, tell us how much of a success the Buell was.

How about the V Rod?

I'm not knocking their efforts, just to be a knucklehead, I just don't see them having any more success with that pair of bikes than they did with those other two I just quoted. They have the strongest brand in motorcycling and haven't had much success deviating from it. Maybe they will in the future, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

Aannnnnnnnd there it is yet again. King Jeff of Harleyville has again gotten his feelings hurt because some guys on a car forum decided to discuss HD and not every comment met his illustrious scrutiny.

Ease up big fella. Don’t be so delicate. It’s a fun topic to debate and no one knows what the future holds. Including you. Opinions are like *******s...everyone has one and no two are the same. Get used to it and enjoy yourself. Sheesh.

Last edited by Chocaholic; 08-03-2018 at 02:48 PM..
Old 08-03-2018, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

I think Jeff was only talking about me. He did say "smart and handsome" after all.

But to Jeff's point, and to mine, history is littered with companies having absolute market dominance only to become memories.

Remember Lotus 1-2-3? 100% marketshare. Gone.

Cadillac would have gone the same way if they hadn't changed direction. They make great cars today.

Harley risks becoming Lotus 123 or blossoming into the new Cadillac.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

The Buell and the V-Rod were both massive compromises. Trying to sell a Sportster motored bike as a "sport bike" was a really bad joke. I wonder how well the Buell brand would have done had H-D held onto it after they came out with their proprietary water cooled, overhead cam, four valve motor. By all accounts it was an awesome motorcycle. Allas, H-D's then new CEO infamously said he saw no reason for as much as the very existence of sport bikes, and cut the brand. That idiot had never even ridden a motorcycle.

The V-Rod was an effort at having their cake and eating it too. They wanted a bike that would still appeal to the H-D faithful so, as such, the V-Rod was doomed from the start. The forward controls, the chopper-like rake, and all of that nonsense unfortunately hamstrung what could have been a very good motorcycle. I think the Street Rod variant will go down as its best incarnation but, alas, H-D chose not to properly fit it out with the necessary gear to be what it could have been - a very good sport-tourer.

This new direction is, thankfully, free of the constraints that led to those two infamous compromises. They are essentially saying to hell with H-D's traditional customer base and their expectations. They's driven Harley development for too long. Not that they are going to be forgotten, not by a long shot, but H-D are certainly going after an entirely new market segment without their misguided past need to pay homage to their current base. This is a big, bold gamble for them. I hope it works out.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocaholic View Post
Aannnnnnnnd there it is yet again. King Jeff of Harleyville has again gotten his feelings hurt because some guys on a car forum decided to discuss HD and not every comment met his illustrious scrutiny.

Ease up big fella. Don’t be so delicate. It’s a fun topic to debate and no one knows what the future holds. Including you. Opinions are like *******s...everyone has one and no two are the same. Get used to it and enjoy yourself. Sheesh.
Mike, you keep going to this same well. Show some imagination for once. Change it up a little next time. Your tired "poor wittle Jeffy is all butthurt" schtick does no more than paint you as some sort of sniveling little prick with his own far too delicate ego bruised. You'll note I said I was somewhat bemused by everyones' expert opinions, once again. You were clearly too triggered to pick up on the sarcastic tone of my post. All in good fun, for me anyway.

Maybe I keep striking the same nerve with you, I dunno. Maybe, like way too many guys, you feel as though your very brief experience with the brand qualifies you, and only you, as the grand poopah of the interwebs, expert on all things H-D. Maybe someone poking some light-hearted fun at your self-perceived "expertise" is more than you can take. If so, you have my apologies.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun @ Tru6 View Post
I think Jeff was only talking about me. He did say "smart and handsome" after all.

But to Jeff's point, and to mine, history is littered with companies having absolute market dominance only to become memories.

Remember Lotus 1-2-3? 100% marketshare. Gone.

Cadillac would have gone the same way if they hadn't changed direction. They make great cars today.

Harley risks becoming Lotus 123 or blossoming into the new Cadillac.
Agreed, Shaun, absolutely. H-D has already teetered on the edge of the dustbin of history, more than once in their storied history. Hell, Porsche was there in the '90's. It can, and does, happen to the best of them.

I think we can all agree that H-D needs to do something or risk going down once again. And, unlike GM, they are not "too big to fail". Yes, they have relied upon government help in the past (in the form of tariffs, which they, to their credit, had the government end prior to the agreed upon date), but a full fledged bailout ain't gonna happen. Maybe another unfriendly takeover (can anyone spell "AMF"?). None of those options would be pretty or good for the long-term health of the company.

So, here we are - like i said, they are doing exactly what so many of you have said for so long is necessary for their survival. They are coming out with something entirely new, at least for them. I applaud them for that, and wish them well.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Harley has some hard choices to make. Take the engine, for instance. Do they design it to appeal to the traditional Harley buyer, or perhaps somebody that might be in the market for a Ducati?

Here's an article by Kevin Cameron that talks about the different directions they could go with their new series of engines:

https://www.cycleworld.com/closer-look-at-harley-davidsons-new-975-and-1250cc-v-twin
Old 08-03-2018, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
repeat post two.

Oh yeah, Trump won
Thank you Mr. Putin
Old 08-03-2018, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
Harley has some hard choices to make. Take the engine, for instance. Do they design it to appeal to the traditional Harley buyer, or perhaps somebody that might be in the market for a Ducati?

Here's an article by Kevin Cameron that talks about the different directions they could go with their new series of engines:

I like and respect Kevin Cameron a great deal. I have to say, however, that his idea that H-D engineers might remain within their old tried-and-true parameters of their current air-cooled V-Twins is probably slightly off base. Granted, I would not expect to see Ducati Panigale levels of specific output from anything H-D makes, but they are certainly not going to restrict themselves to the piston speeds and cylinder pressures to which they are limited on their current motors.

Like many of us keep saying, "we'll see". We only have a photo at this point. I have to think, though, that to be competitive in the market that at least style-wise it looks like they are after, they are going to have to offer at least BMW twin, or V-Strom, levels of performance. Not Panigale, not Super Duke, not that race bike, cutting edge level, but something respectable in maybe the new Ducati Super Sport and Triumph Thruxton range.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

I agree, if they tuned it like a traditional Harley engine, they'd just have another Buell on their hands. I'm not sure that they could go after a Ducati buyer, as those good guys tend to be pretty tribal. Should they appeal to a Japanese sport bike buyer? The bike looks too heavy for that, but who knows?

It's going to be a difficult choice to make, I hope they do their homework well.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

No, I just get tired of you belittling everyone on every thread that mentions HD. I’ve only owned 6 over the years so clearly my opinion is worthless compared to yours. Re-read your post #47. You insult all of us for having an interesting discussion. I see that my comments have softened your self-righteousness as evidenced in your subsequent posts.

At least you’re consistent. We can always count on a barrage of insults if anyone’s comments differ from your own. I tend to believe they’re fighting a losing battle. A shame really. The modern market has little patience for heritage over innovation. You are free to disagree but please keep your insults to yourself.

Last edited by Chocaholic; 08-03-2018 at 03:52 PM..
Old 08-03-2018, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocaholic View Post
No, I just get tired of you belittling everyone on every thread that mentions HD. I’ve only owned 6 over the years so clearly my opinion is worthless compared to yours. Re-read your post #47. You insult all of us for having an interesting discussion. I see that my comments have softened your self-righteousness as evidenced in your subsequent posts.

At least you’re consistent. We can always count on a barrage of insults if anyone’s comments differ from your own. I tend to believe they’re fighting a losing battle. A shame really. The modern market has little patience for heritage over innovation. You are free to disagree but please keep your insults to yourself.
Mike, I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure you are the only guy on here that sees that post as some sort of a "barrage of insults". You really need to take your own advice and lighten up a little bit. I mean, come on - if you took that clearly tongue-in-cheek call to "join the team" as insulting, then you are obviously far too easily triggered. Go find your safe place and chill. Maybe have a beer or something.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins View Post
They could use folks like you, with your in-depth knowledge of the motorcycle market, your uncanny ability to understand and predict future market trends, and your amazing engineering expertise. Why, if they had folks like you on board, they just might be able to save their company from its impending doom and maybe even achieve a position of market dominance...

So, yeah - geez, Harley have absolutely no idea what they are doing. They need you guys. I'm sure they will pay you a fortune to save them from themselves, to ward off their impending doom. What are you waiting for? Hop to it!

...you can't wait to tell all of us just what they should have done differently, how they are doomed to failure, and just how smart and handsome you are in comparison. You guys crack me up.
Was a pretty good, open exchange of thoughts...then this light hearted, jovial rant from our resident opinion monitor. Quoted for posterity.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: