Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

speaker phone people drive me nuts...

got a guy here that is a room around the corner from me with 5 other people in there., he is on the speaker phone (conversation is just with him), and I can hear all of it where I am sitting. not to mention now the other guys have to watch what they say because of this, and yes, we have walked into the room not knowing he is on speaker phone and said things that could possibly get us in trouble.
not only that you have to EXTRA quiet in there because your conversation will be heard by those on the other end.
drives me nuts when I call a person and they put me on speaker. first off its hard for me to understand them and second I don't know who else can hear me.

are people just that lazy that they cant pick up the phone?

AAAARRRRRRRGH!!!!!

thanks for the vent.

08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 08-02-2018, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Get them a headset.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Not about lazy for me, quite the opposite. When I am on the phone, no work is getting done. I can put someone on speaker and still have use of both of my hands . I know it is not optimal, but a necessary evil .
I usually save this for the parts store, or non customer calls, because I know it is annoying
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 08-02-2018, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
We had one customer that would call us on his crappy speaker phone. I would put him on my speakerphone and then back away about 6 feet. When he was having a problem hearing me he would pick up, and so did I. Then we could talk.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 08-02-2018, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
We had one customer that would call us on his crappy speaker phone. I would put him on my speakerphone and then back away about 6 feet. When he was having a problem hearing me he would pick up, and so did I. Then we could talk.
Did he ever just stop using speaker phone?
Old 08-02-2018, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

Headsets are the way to go. Hands free is great. Plus, you can put them in even when your not on the phone and people won’t bother you.

With today’s Bluetooth and an earbud, you can just tell the phone to answer and take the call. So you can have your hands deep into a repair and still take a call that you have been waiting all day to get. Handy when my daughter finally calls me back. It’s a small window sometimes...
Old 08-02-2018, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
I especially hate when people call me for issues and can't stop eating their carrots/chips/celery for 2 minutes to tell me what the issue is.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

I worked with a salesman who would start every call on speaker. As soon as the person picked up, he would pick up the handset and have a normal conversation, but EVERY call started on speaker. I'm quite sure it was so that everyone else in the office knew exactly how many times he was calling customers in a day...

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 08-02-2018, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I also don't like it...I think that it's rude behavior.
I have one that tops it all:
A few years ago I was on Match.com and set up a phone chat with a highly attractive and successful professional lady.
The first thing that I noticed was that she was on speaker phone and some noise in the background.
I asked her what was going on and she said that she was emptying her dishwasher.
I said that she could call me back when she wasn't busy.
"Oh no, this is a good time."
Needless to say that phone chat ended quickly.
One thing wisdom can do...it can tell you who is appropriate to associate with.
And it can tell you rather quickly.
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 08-02-2018, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Band.

Send a message via AIM to Gogar
Tell him.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Band.

Send a message via AIM to Gogar
Or, walk by the door and talk loudly about your intestinal troubles or your favorite spice girl or fantasy dodgeball league
Old 08-02-2018, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Air horn
Old 08-02-2018, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Back in the saddle again

It used to irritate me for someone else to put me on speaker phone. Now, at least for business, I don't really care, at least as long as I can hear them. Most speaker phones these days have really good audio.

Yes, crappy speaker phones are irritating, and if it's not a business call, it can be irritating.

What I find more irritating is this crap when it's in a store or in public. I don't want to hear your crap.

'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 08-02-2018, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Generally I just tell them to call me back when they can get to the phone.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
It used to irritate me for someone else to put me on speaker phone. Now, at least for business, I don't really care, at least as long as I can hear them. Most speaker phones these days have really good audio.

Yes, crappy speaker phones are irritating, and if it's not a business call, it can be irritating.

What I find more irritating is this crap when it's in a store or in public. I don't want to hear your crap.

+1

Idiots....
Old 08-02-2018, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Worse than that we had a chick in accounting people hated talking to. She slurped hard candy the whole time she was talking. She could not make a complete sentence without pausing to noisily suck on that candy.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

We have several "self important" people at my office who use speaker phones regularly. Ironically, these same people are very loud talkers with booming voices anyway. What is particularly fun is when the Japanese use the speaker phone, and the entire floor can hear the whole conversation, but can't understand a word.

I enjoy being back in my prototype lab, by myself, with the radio on.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Never banned

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
The speaker phone function was been disabled in our office long ago for this reason... So "they" bought a bunch of wireless headsets and guess what! Those wireless headsets are not as reliable as they should be.

There's a lot to be said for an old fashioned desk phone and one of these!

Old 08-02-2018, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

My wife uses it all the time when we talk.

Drives me ****ing crazy, as she sets it down and walks around the room doing things. She fades in and out.

Sometimes I just hang up on her. 😡
Old 08-02-2018, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post

Sometimes I just hang up on her. 😡
How long until she figures it out?

Old 08-02-2018, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: