Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Underrated Movies

I think the movie rating system is rigged. Rotten Tomatoes, newspapers, and the cable providers are all pay-and play. Advertise with them or pay fee and get a good review. I watched a couple real dogs recently that Rotten Tomatoes gave high praise (of course some subjectivity is in play).

Name a movie that you really like that didn't get a good review or rating. I'll start:

"2 Days in the Valley" (1996)

James Spader
Jeff Daniels
Danny Aiello
Charlize Theron
Teri Hatcher
Eric Stoltz

A black comedy. It came and went from the theaters quickly and faded away. Rotten tomatoes gives it 59%. I just watched it and loved it. Some good stars very early in their careers. A very young Charlize Theron (Atomic Blond) nude and Teri Hatcher in panties should be worth at least 85%

Volvo V60 - Daily Driver (I love it!)
997 Turbo - FVD Exhaust, GIAC Tune - 542 dyno hp on 93 oct
1972 Chevy K-10 Pick-Up Truck Hugger Orange
Old 08-28-2018, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Battle Los Angeles.

35% rotten tomatoes. I loved that dumb film.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Another 1996 gem "Box Of Moonlight". John Turturro, Catherine Keener, Sam Rockwell. Rotten Tomatoes gave this a 58%.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115738/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_80

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
~ Henry Ford
Old 08-28-2018, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Garage
Hudsucker Proxy
Inherent Vice
Barry Lyndon
A History of Violence

(These are all judged on the reaction and box office when they dropped, not current rotten tomatoes scores)

Last edited by herr_oberst; 08-28-2018 at 03:55 PM..
Old 08-28-2018, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

A Good Year comes to mind...
Old 08-28-2018, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

I'm not sure that I can think of any movies to add to your list, although I'm sure there are several, but I do agree that the "critics" are full of crap. I find that other than the odd movie at the top or bottom of the list, that I almost feel the opposite of the critics.

For instance, when watching an action flick or a comic book/super hero movie, I'm not looking for really deep substance. I'm looking for entertainment with lots of flashy lights and loud noises

When watching a comedy, I'm not looking for the underlying social commentary. I'm looking to laugh whether it's a funny joke or a smart joke or a fart joke or whatever.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 08-28-2018, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Amazing Grace and Chuck.

_
Old 08-28-2018, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
When it comes to movies I've watched, my mind doesn't tell me much.

Not a major thing for me I guess.

Then I don't know what it is "rated" to know it is "under rated".

I like Buster Keaton's style, and maybe some of his 1930's films didn't get much positive for the day.

I suppose the only two under rated movies I know were under rated in their day, yet lasted long; are the Wizard of Oz and the Princess Bride.

If I do watch a movie, it is likely on MS3TK, and broken up in segments.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Immature Member

Garage
Two of my faves are Repo Man and Fargo.
Not sure if they were poo-poo'd by the critics, but definitely not main stream. Both were dark and frickin hilarious.
I remember Emilio Esteves eating out of 'no-name' can simply labeled "Food" while his parents gave all their money to a Televangelist. And that the mechanic turned out to be an ET (sorry about the spoiler)
And Fargo? Well, just watch it. Every actor nailed their role.
"Lowering the bar with every post!"
Old 08-28-2018, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Remember, critics were the ones who said E.T. was a sci-fi flop that would be laughed out of the theaters and that Jaws was "Ashore it is a bore, awkwardly staged and lumpily written."

Over $1 billion in box office from those two would say most critics either don't know what they are talking about, or are just trying to sell more newspapers by being "edgy"
Old 08-28-2018, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Boondock Saints. Awesome flick that most haven’t heard of.

A Bronx Tale. Very underrated mob movie.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
Boondock Saints. Awesome flick that most havenít heard of.

A Bronx Tale. Very underrated mob movie.
A Bronx Tale is one of my favorite movies. Super underrated. A History of Violence too.

Volvo V60 - Daily Driver (I love it!)
997 Turbo - FVD Exhaust, GIAC Tune - 542 dyno hp on 93 oct
1972 Chevy K-10 Pick-Up Truck Hugger Orange
Old 08-28-2018, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Regenerated User

Garage
Three amigos! (1986)
Old 08-28-2018, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Empire of the Sun

Rango
Old 08-28-2018, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Monkey+Football

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Icemaster
The Drop - Tom Hardy and James Gandolfini's last film. Although RT rates it pretty high it pretty high, it didn't get much air time.

85 Targa Wong Chip Fabspeed M&K Bilsteins and a bunch of other stuff.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Monkey+Football

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Icemaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavulon View Post
Empire of the Sun
+1

P51, Cadillac of the sky. You never know who's gonna grow up to be Batman.

85 Targa Wong Chip Fabspeed M&K Bilsteins and a bunch of other stuff.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Regenerated User

Garage
No man's land (1987)
Old 08-28-2018, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Ip Man.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Wetwork

Garage
As a kid of the 80's...

Better off Dead (I based my whole teenage years on that show, even down to the 67 Camaro. I really enjoy most of John Cusack's stuff..ie Hot Tub Time Machine, Grosse Pointe Blank. I think its a 80's thing.

But I really enjoyed..Mr Right. Which got bad ratings but I still watch it now and then. Fun hitman in love deal.

For action I'm full nerd. Ninja Assassin (best ninja show to date), The Punisher War Zone (With Stevenson is the closest you are gonna get to the comic, the one with Travolta is lame)

Really...me in a nutshell, I pay to be amused, doesn't matter if its at the circus or watching a tv show or going to the movies. Don't care what the critics say, if I'm amused I'm good. -WW
Old 08-28-2018, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Oh crap. I forgot. Mary and Max. Such a wonderful, funny, sweet movie. A top 10 for certain. Watch it!
Old 08-28-2018, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: