Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Slackerous Maximus

Amazing drive today, OH route 555

Or, the 'triple nickel' as its affectionately called. Started in Zanesville, and took it down until it intersected route 550, then over the Athen OH. Incredibly tight, complex road. The photo below is not typical, its a solid 50 miles of 20-30mph switchbacks, huge elevation changes. Porsche territory to be sure. Miata would also be fun. I had fun in the Mustang, but I was working my ass off keeping it pointed in the right direction.

I followed a lady on a Road King that was kicking much ass. Throwing it around like a sports bike. Amazing to watch.

The entire southeast corner of Ohio is a drivers paradise.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Tropical storm sitting in the gulf ruining my day... I sat on my ass all day. I love you got yours out for a nice drive.

Looks like a great time for sure.

I love impromptu road trips we do it from time to time. We have one rule, no turnpikes or interstates, all back roads. Some pics from a recent trip through the middle of Florida.

This used to be Rammsteins car, its a 91 318is with a M50B28 swapped in. I a debating right now is I should finally supercharge it as intended or just swap in a S54 and be done with it.

It was nicknamed the panty dropper, the two previous owners of it banged out 2 kids quickly after taking ownership. I am proud, or sad... no proud to admit that I have broken the curse. My vasectomy may have something to do with that.

We visited the front gate of Sebring, ironic, this car was on that track at the hands of Ram and it blew up a front rotor, so it now sports some sweet UUC big brakes thanks to that.

We hit all kinds of small towns all over the middle of Florida.

Found a divey BBQ place that was amazing.

Even spent a night in a 1920 hotel that was restored back to it original glory.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World

Last edited by Jims5543; 09-03-2018 at 07:04 PM..
Old 09-03-2018, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I've done the 555 several times in my 911. I've also done most of the good driver's roads in California for comparison. The 555 is absolutely crazy. I've done it twice without running into any traffic in either direction - a solid 60 miles of fun. What makes this road different is all the blind crests. You don't know until the very last second when you reach the crest if you've got a left, right, or straight on the other side. You need really quick reaction time (and a bit of faith) to drive it quickly. It got to a point where I got tired of turning the steering wheel and wanted to get off the ride!

edit: the speed limit on this road is 55MPH. I struggled to go anywhere near the speed limit!

Last edited by CurtEgerer; 09-04-2018 at 04:14 AM..
Old 09-04-2018, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
A Secret Place

Just looked up the route - I need to add that to my list of drives.

Thanks for the post.

The Inklings
Old 09-04-2018, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

I love a good road trip. You guys outside of the midwest don't know how good you have it, I have to drive hours to find roads like that.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
Just looked up the route - I need to add that to my list of drives.

Thanks for the post.
If you're coming from Maryland, try this route starting in Marlinton/Snowshoe, W Va. The all-time greatest road drive I've ever done. This route is followed directly by the 555. This was 6-7 hours of non-stop twisties I've been on lots of great roads around the country, but most really good ones are what, 30 minutes, maybe an hour or so? Then you have to transit on boring roads to another good section of road. This route just never ends. You will be sick of driving and want to park your car for a month after doing it
Old 09-04-2018, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Midwest R Gruppe

Garage
I am with Curt. Or was with Curt on the 555. It is awesome and I cannot wait to do it again.

69E Coupe 2.2S LtWt
70 914-6 GT
Old 09-04-2018, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
A Secret Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
If you're coming from Maryland, try this route starting in Marlinton/Snowshoe, W Va. The all-time greatest road drive I've ever done. This route is followed directly by the 555. This was 6-7 hours of non-stop twisties I've been on lots of great roads around the country, but most really good ones are what, 30 minutes, maybe an hour or so? Then you have to transit on boring roads to another good section of road. This route just never ends. You will be sick of driving and want to park your car for a month after doing it
Excellent - I have skied Snowshoe: What are the routes leading to 555?

The Inklings
Old 09-04-2018, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Route 219 to US 50 maybe? US 50 is pretty twisty headed towards VA and has some spectacular switchbacks in the mountains but becomes four lanes closer to Ohio and Marietta.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Midwest R Gruppe

Garage
I can't remember exactly, but we took 66 out of Snowshoe to 219 north and 15 west and north. Took that to I79 and picked up 19 north to 5 and that ran us into Parkersburg (I think 5 turns into 14 near Parkersburg). Regardless of what route you take through WV to get to 555, it won't matter - the roads are spectacular. Pick a sunny weekend in the fall and you will not be disappointed.

69E Coupe 2.2S LtWt
70 914-6 GT
Old 09-04-2018, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Oops, forgot the map. As Scott can attest to, the road is worth the trip. We had some fun times there. Some will say the Dragon is better. I've done both. The 555 is completely different, so everybody has their own preference. The 555 is not in the mountains, it's rolling foothills. But again, it's the steep blind crests. You go up the crest, see nothing but sky, the car is unweighted and understeering and only then do you see which way the road goes - usually the opposite of your inclination.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Midwest R Gruppe

Garage
Well, I'll be... I remembered it correctly! Need to do that again.

69E Coupe 2.2S LtWt
70 914-6 GT
Old 09-04-2018, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
A Secret Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
Oops, forgot the map. As Scott can attest to, the road is worth the trip. We had some fun times there. Some will say the Dragon is better. I've done both. The 555 is completely different, so everybody has their own preference.
Exactly. I have done the Dragon twice and won't again.

I saved the map: Thanks!

The Inklings
Old 09-04-2018, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
Exactly. I have done the Dragon twice and won't again.

I saved the map: Thanks!
There is a cool road up in Tenn. that is everything the Dragon is except it is empty, no traffic, no leo nothing, it dead ends at the top of the mountains at the Tenn. / NC state line and was an old moonshine running road. It turns to dirt on the NC side so no one uses it.

Total blast to drive hard on, every time I have been on it, I am amazed to see 1 other car on it outside who I am running with.

I do like the sounds of this route 555, if I ever go up to see my Brother in Lexington I may take a side trip to see this.

My wife and I have discussed taking the Autotrain from Orlando to DC then road tripping back to Florida via the Blue Ridge with the E30. I have no problem wandering off course to drive some amazing roads.

Thanks for the info I had no idea this was such a cool road, just looking on a map the DC train sounds like it will make this doable.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 09-04-2018, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

So, I guess what yer saying is it isn't like this:

Old 09-04-2018, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Looked it up on Google Earth. It ain't US I 70.

Here's a screen shot of part.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: