Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Por_sha911 View Post
I remember reading that dogs have 3D hearing. They can tell how far a sound is and not just the direction.

Java: please note my previous comment was removed. I apologize. It was out of place.
Thanks, Joe...you're a good man.....
Old 09-05-2018, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Por_sha911 View Post
I remember reading that dogs have 3D hearing. They can tell how far a sound is and not just the direction.

Java: please note my previous comment was removed. I apologize. It was out of place.
And stereoscopic sense of smell.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavulon View Post
And stereoscopic sense of smell.
So they know before we do that their breath smells really bad?
Old 09-05-2018, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
I don't have any joints that squeak
I wasn't talking about your joints man... walking farts, I hear it happens when you get older
Old 09-05-2018, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Taunter of Asshats

My son was fostering a dog, while playing fetch with a ball they picked up that the dog was blind. He would pause and listen for the ball. Dog had fooled the rescue.

Our dog can be upstairs and hear me peel a banana(his favorite treat) in the kitchen.

#red-beard2020
Old 09-05-2018, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Towards the end, my dog was completely blind and about 95% deaf but he always knew where i was and what I was doing and he followed me everywhere. Got to be a real PITA because he would weave back and forth and he was always under foot, tripped me several times. The wife would hear my expletives and come running, only to start laughing when she realized my dog put me in the dirt.
But on those rare occasions he wasn't under foot I'd go find him to make sure he was OK.

What was a total crack up was this: his head and body were too big for his legs and when he bent over to eat his food, his back legs would come off the ground and he'd teeter-totter on his fore legs.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
We donít allow our dog on the furniture. But if you head downstairs in the middle of the night, youíll be met by a groggy, guilty looking dog about 10 feet from the living room sofa ó just chillin here in the hallway ó nothing to see. If we showed her where we keep the lint roller itíd otherwise be the perfect dog crime.

Given the good senses dogs have (and the very friendly nature of ours), it gives my wife and I the heebie jeebies when she gets agitated and growls at strangers as pass by ó itís only happened a few times, and we moved along, but you canít help buy wonder ďwhatís up?Ē She must know something we donít.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
I used to run trails with my lab through thick woods and brushy areas. He was always 20 to 30 feet ahead. Always the leader and wanting to charge ahead. On four separate occasions he stopped dead and either wouldn’t budge or turned around and went by me. I couldn’t see or smell what he did but am sure he lead me away from danger. I can’t prove it, but he never did it otherwise. There are cougar, packs of coyotes not afraid of humans and bears in the woods around our home.

Last edited by RSBob; 09-05-2018 at 06:09 PM..
Old 09-05-2018, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBob View Post
I couldnít see or smell what he did but am sure he lead me away from danger.
My dog, Big Rooney, did the same when he was a pup. We sometimes trail run in the hills behind the zoo. A few times he stopped in his tracks and let out a single deep sounding WOOF, to let the lions, tigers, baboons etc that he smelt and thought were hiding in the bushes, know that Big Rooney is here looking after Bill and don't come any closer.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
I think my dog may be psychic. If I talk to my buddy on the phone, the dog heads straight over there the next morning when we go for a walk. That is not all that surprising. Yesterday I sent my brother a text about going shooting with my friend on Saturday, and this morning the dog heads straight over to his house. WTF is that all about?

Kinky Friedman
Old 09-06-2018, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
They are very perceptive. Our Golden Retriever was just Now lying on the sofa next to me. I was using my iPhone, which automatically puts me in a bad mood, and I was acting frustrated with it. I didn’t say anything out loud, just acting frustrated. She jumped off the sofa and sat in the middle of the room staring at me. I noticed her and closed my eyes and sat quietly. She jumped back on the sofa a snuggled next to me. She sensed my frustration and wanted no part of it.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
It is amazing how our dogs an read a situation. We have tow ladies come to clean the house every two weeks. They have the code to get in the garage so they come in the house from the garage. The dogs see that we are straightening up the house, and putting projects away. Both dogs have been sitting over by the garage door waiting for the cleaning ladies to show up. They can read the situation.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 01-11-2019, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
My dog sat on command last night. I was FaceTiming him.

I was mildly shocked. Hank is pretty obedient and smart.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

About 25 years ago, we were adopted by a dog for the last year of her life. She had a favorite rock, smooth, and a little larger than a golf ball, that we would toss into a medium-sized creek (10-20 feet across, and between a few inches to a couple of feet deep, depending on the time of year). Ol' Rosy would wade out, sniff, then sniff some more before dunking her head. Sometimes she'd have to root around the creek bed for five-ten seconds before finding it but she always cam up with that rock. The last time we saw the rock was when it went into the creek with Rosy's ashes.

_
Old 01-11-2019, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
My dog sat on command last night. I was FaceTiming him.

I was mildly shocked. Hank is pretty obedient and smart.
Even my mom has trouble with Facetime...if Hank mastered that....sitting on command is just showing off
Old 01-11-2019, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
My Lab has to poop at 2:30 AM, breakfast at 5:30 AM and dinner at 5:30 PM. You can set your watch by him.

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson
Old 01-11-2019, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
A Secret Place

We had to put down one of out goats today...she went down hill fast. We made a nest for her the past few days in the hay stall, covered her with a blanket. The dogs were very concerned and never left her side when we were at the stable this week.

It was weird and cool at the same time. They all three just stayed together. You can see the Jack Russel on top of some hay in the fuzzy picture below.

We kept the dogs at the house when the vet came. Goatie Baloti is secure in her new resting place.

Sorry for the Byronesk photo

Economics provides information about the world. It does not provide wisdom.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
They can also tell time and differentiate days of the week.

My FIL used to get up every morning for work, have his cereal and the cat would be sitting on the table waiting for that last bit of milk in the bowl that FIL used to reserve for it.

Gets up one morning, goes and has his cereal, is wondering where the cat is, then realizes, it's Saturday and went back to bed.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Groucho Marxist

Garage
If that were a Byronesque photo, there would be him and bicycles or strippers involved.

Kinky Friedman
Old 01-11-2019, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
We had to put down one of out goats today...she went down hill fast. We made a nest for her the past few days in the hay stall, covered her with a blanket. The dogs were very concerned and never left her side when we were at the stable this week.

It was weird and cool at the same time. They all three just stayed together. You can see the Jack Russel on top of some hay in the fuzzy picture below.

We kept the dogs at the house when the vet came. Goatie Baloti is secure in her new resting place.

Sorry for the Byronesk photo
Did you let your dogs see the goat after it was put down?
You probably should as they will wonder where the goat went or what happened to it.
If they were that concerned before they deserve to know.

When I worked on the vineyard, the owner had two Visla's, a young one and an older one. She had a 'dog whisperer' come to find out what was bothering the older one when she first got the younger one. The DW said the older one doesn't mind the younger one, but wants her own time away from it as it had a lot of energy. So, that's what she did or made sure she did. She was a well known anesthesiologist so it was interesting that someone of her education would put that much credence into a DW.
Dogs are special that's for sure.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: