Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Autumn in his heart

That is a really wonderful compilation, Jim. If there are folks going through this for the first time, great stuff.

The only thing I would add is get a small Honda gen...it will run your freezer and fridge and you probably have a Grand worth of food in both.

Strong 3 and above we're out.

Storm surge is our big issue: I have had waves breaking in my back yard, just below the leveling out grade. Yikes.

My best to all. Too early to really tell where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims5543 View Post
Anyone in the path a 1st timer? I have been through a few of these now. I spent the entire month of Sept 2004 without power with a 1 year old kid in the house.

We have a rule, weak cat3 and under sit tight.

Strong Cat 3 monitor with plans to sit tight but do not discount evacuating.

Cat4 and 5 GTFO out nothing is worth it and trust me sitting through a Cat 3 storm in your house is unnerving. The sound the wind makes screws up your head. Get away get somewhere safe and come back rested and ready to clean up.

Tips you will not get on the news.

- Gas pumps are usually on 24 hours a day, make a gas run, even if you have to run 100 miles away and get it in the middle of the night.

- Alcohol sales will be banned when evacuation is mandatory until well after the storm. Forget bread and milk make sure you have beer and whiskey.

- Fill your fridge with lots of water containers and freeze them all now, they will help keep things cold for a long while after the power goes out.

- Unplug your dishwasher, put things you cannot fit in your car in there, pictures papers thinks that you do not want to be water damaged. Close it up tight, it is water proof.

- You will be on your own after the storm, form a network of friends or family who you can work together with and help.

Above all else, be safe, I am hoping this storm would turn away and go bother the fish.

Kitchen clean.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
I am trying to figure out how that is even possible?

The storm is still 1200 Miles from mainland US.

Is your friend messing with you?
No, she took the photos from Eastern shore this afternoon.

https://www.wral.com/weather/hurricanes/video/17831581/
05 Jetta GLI

Last edited by GothingNC; 09-10-2018 at 01:26 PM..
Old 09-10-2018, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
That is a really wonderful compilation, Jim. If there are folks going through this for the first time, great stuff.

The only thing I would add is get a small Honda gen...it will run your freezer and fridge and you probably have a Grand worth of food in both.

Strong 3 and above we're out.

Storm surge is our big issue: I have had waves breaking in my back yard, just below the leveling out grade. Yikes.

My best to all. Too early to really tell where.
I started to type about a Generator and it was a negative so I deleted it.

If you do not have a generator plan squared away by now, it is too late.

That is something that should be sorted every June at the start of the season.

I have a whole house standby and I still go over it every June, change the oil, note it it is time for spark plugs air filter etc...

I fire it and load it up make sure it is functioning OK.

When I had a gas one, I changed the oil fired it up and made sure it was running good, if not I addressed the issues. Right now, it is too late for that plus I have heard gas is already running out 2 days out from the storm. I have a friend up in the OBX area he said it is bedlam there.

Another tip, think outside the box, need charcoal, Home Depot will be run over, does your pool store sell BGE's like mine does? I have a Pinch a Penny near me and he sells Big Green Eggs. Charcoal was out all over town for Irma last year, I walked in there and there had to be 50+ bags just sitting there.

Bottled Water? Bud Light is almost the same.

OK I kid..
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 09-10-2018, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I live in Ohio but if there is anything I can do (short of shipping you a pallet of cash) let me know. God bless.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Anyone in the path a 1st timer? I have been through a few of these now. I spent the entire month of Sept 2004 without power with a 1 year old kid in the house.

We have a rule, weak cat3 and under sit tight.

Strong Cat 3 monitor with plans to sit tight but do not discount evacuating.

Cat4 and 5 GTFO out nothing is worth it and trust me sitting through a Cat 3 storm in your house is unnerving. The sound the wind makes screws up your head. Get away get somewhere safe and come back rested and ready to clean up.

Tips you will not get on the news.

- Gas pumps are usually on 24 hours a day, make a gas run, even if you have to run 100 miles away and get it in the middle of the night.

- Alcohol sales will be banned when evacuation is mandatory until well after the storm. Forget bread and milk make sure you have beer and whiskey.

- Fill your fridge with lots of water containers and freeze them all now, they will help keep things cold for a long while after the power goes out.

- Unplug your dishwasher, put things you cannot fit in your car in there, pictures papers thinks that you do not want to be water damaged. Close it up tight, it is water proof.

- You will be on your own after the storm, form a network of friends or family who you can work together with and help.

Above all else, be safe, I am hoping this storm would turn away and go bother the fish.
Buy trash cans (with lids), put in a liner (trash bag) and fill with water. This will be your water supply.

I hope you have:
Propane
Flashlights and spare batteries
A coffee pot that doesn't require electricity
Hopefully a bunch of non-perishable food
Old 09-10-2018, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
5:00 model (s) run bumped it bit more NW. If this holds, Beaufort, SC, HHI and Savannah will be fine. Probably means more rain for VA and parts North and East of the eye.

1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)

Last edited by tdw28210; 09-10-2018 at 01:48 PM..
Old 09-10-2018, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw28210 View Post
5:00 model (s) run bumped it bit more NW. If this holds, Beaufort, SC, HHI and Savannah will be fine. Probably means more rain for VA and parts North and East of the eye.

Beaufort county has already issued a mandatory evacuation starting tomorrow at 12 noon.
Don't really think we'll ( Beaufort) will get much of anything.
Good luck n be safe to all that are in its path.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothingNC View Post
My friend in Swansboro NC is already feeling the effects.

Is that flooding just caused by the king tide?
Old 09-10-2018, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeform911 View Post
Is that flooding just caused by the king tide?
Color me skeptical. here is the Emerald Isle Live beach cam now:

Looks pretty nice and no sign of flood tides.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Glad we live in Florida. Florence looks very threatening. We had Amtrak Auto train tickets for Friday from here to VA. Cancelled the trip.

Good luck to those in the target area.
7's and 9's, Steve W chip
Kuehl AC and fresh top end
Old 09-10-2018, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:
Beaufort county has already issued a mandatory evacuation starting tomorrow at 12 noon.
"mandatory" means "don't call us (local emergency services) if the SHTF, but no one is going to yank you out of your house. I already know folks who are staying put. Unless something radically changed before Tuesday, I probably would too if I was on HHI.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw28210 View Post
"mandatory" means "don't call us (local emergency services) if the SHTF, but no one is going to yank you out of your house. I already know folks who are staying put. Unless something radically changed before Tuesday, I probably would too if I was on HHI.

I get that but most businesses will shut down until the mandatory part is lifted.
But better safe n call it early.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I believe the governor made all of the SC coast a mandatory evacuation tomorrow at noon.

Im between Beaufort and Bluffton SC buttoning up our homes under construction right now....Strap all doors closed, windows locked, guys are strapping porch roofs to prevent fly aways.

Then I have a 2 hour drive home to Charleston.

Looks like most of will be north of us, but were packing in case we need to bug out. Im concerned with the surge. Our house is 8 above sea level and the Wando river is across the street.

Quote:
Old 09-10-2018, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Weekend Worrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglepore View Post
Ron, I'm concerned as well, and we're on highish ground in Ivy. I do have a whole house generator though, so if you lose power for an extended time you're welcome here...
Thanks Greg!
PP community is awesome!
Let there be no doubt... My priority is making sure your car lift is installed ASAP!!!!
PM sending.... in 1...2.. 3....
Old 09-10-2018, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothingNC View Post
My friend in Swansboro NC is already feeling the effects.
Not too surprising really, most of the southeast has had a lot of rain for most of the summer and has water standing all over the country side already, most any where I drive the diches are full, all low spots are standing water.

Down here in the panhandle there is little capacity for more water without flooding. Most of the watersheds are full and flowing strongly toward the coasts. So bays and estuaries are close to flooding already.

Just a little rise of the tide, serge, or more rain and flooding will be happening.

From what others are reporting its like this in lots of areas.

What a contrast to my recent years in Az. They are praying for just a little of this water. And at this point, they are welcome to it.

Cheers Richard
Old 09-10-2018, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
I believe the governor made all of the SC coast a mandatory evacuation tomorrow at noon.

Im between Beaufort and Bluffton SC buttoning up our homes under construction right now....Strap all doors closed, windows locked, guys are strapping porch roofs to prevent fly aways.

Then I have a 2 hour drive home to Charleston.

Looks like most of will be north of us, but were packing in case we need to bug out. Im concerned with the surge. Our house is 8 above sea level and the Wando river is across the street.

I feel the pain. I'll be doing the same. Taking care of customer properties. ( first world problem).
Definitely gonna pack up n be prepared but really hoping it stays away.
I feel for anyone that will be directly effected with this storm. Twice as strong as the one that hit us 2 years ago, knowing the destruction that did, i can't imagine what this storm will do!
Old 09-10-2018, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Weekend Worrier

As A lifelong Virginian- I wanted to wish the best for my NC bretheren- AND sum up my feelings for Virginian storm preparedness in one random FB meme....

Last edited by LEAKYSEALS951; 09-10-2018 at 03:37 PM..
Old 09-10-2018, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Weekend Worrier

Old 09-10-2018, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)
Weekend Worrier

Here's another!

I was 2 years old at the time.

And I remember it like yesterday...

Old 09-10-2018, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Having been through 4 hurricanes now in 2 states, I've learned the following:

1) Don't bother filling your tub with water, it will drain out by morning.
2) You have beer? Go buy that much more again. You will burn through the first half during the 8 hour build up, waiting for the storm to actually hit (I missed the worst of Ike because we passed out, after drinking and watching the news for 10 straight hours).
3) Go outside at least once, everyone needs to actually feel 100+ mph winds beating you. It's an experience.
4) You and your neighbors will become BEST FREAKING FRIENDS. Until the power comes back. Then everyone slinks back into the house and never speaks to each other again.

More seriously, see if you can still get a crank radio from Amazon delivered, when Ike hit the only news we had access to was the one person with an FM radio. The new crank radios are $30-50, have flashlights and some have USB chargers.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 09-10-2018, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: