Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Parrothead member

Thank you for the kind words. Sitting in Beaufort Co now, waiting . Not sure if we are staying here or not. Storm is taking a southward turn. Water is already high here, but no evac orders.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche tech View Post
Heading to Tallahassee tomorrow. My wife's engineer brother has a home there that he's renovating...says come on over, he'll hose the place out for us. We'll be staying in a hotel!
Check out Proof Brewing Company. It is in the art district, really nice brewery with a nice outdoor area to hang out in.

When we evacuated for Hurricane Francis in 2004, I went to Key West for a few days, I tried my best to have fun and relax, please try to do the same.

Relax and unwind. When you get back it is a real mess with lots of work.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 09-12-2018, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip. We will check it out. We evacuated for Matthew and then for Irma. Irma was a non issue here but Matthew devastated HHI. We went to Macon, GA for that one and spent a week watching the weather channel. It was stressful. This is not going to be that bad I pray)! Below is a picture I took a couple of hours ago looking from the sound (next to our house) out to the ocean. Looks pretty nice right now!

Old 09-12-2018, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. We will check it out. We evacuated for Matthew and then for Irma. Irma was a non issue here but Matthew devastated HHI. We went to Macon, GA for that one and spent a week watching the weather channel. It was stressful. This is not going to be that bad I pray)! Below is a picture I took a couple of hours ago looking from the sound (next to our house) out to the ocean. Looks pretty nice right now!
Fantastic view!! I was due west of the storm for most of today and can say it was influencing our weather here, it did not rain like it does every afternoon. It seems to have pulled or pushed out afternoon T-storms away.

The waves should be arriving here tomorrow, gonna have dinner on the beach and check them out.

When I went to Key West in 2004, I promised my wife to not harp over the storm. Honestly, there is nothing more you can do but wait until you can come back.

Try to relax as best as possible and get distracted as much as possible.

Couple more tips for you try this place for breakfast is was really good.

https://maplestreetbiscuits.com/

Go tour the Historic Capital Building, across the street is a cool Tavern get the grilled wings, best I have had.

https://andrewsdowntown.com/

Go to the Tallahassee Auto Museum, some really cool cars and a lot of other things in there too. Private collection, the guy collected everything.

http://tacm.com/
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 09-12-2018, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:

Unless something RADICALLY changes in the next 48 hours, this will likely be a non-event for HHI. My place there was supposed to get a new roof this week, but got delayed due to the on/off evacuation. Materials were delayed. Roofer said he is ready to go. I am thinking about heading down there if the power doesn't come back in my neighborhood up here within 2 days.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 09-12-2018, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Protip from the news:
Take a cup of frozen water and leave a penny on top in the freezer.

If penny is halfway down, power was restored sometime afterwards. Some food might be still good.
If penny is at bottom, power was lost for a long time.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

We are on the fence now about bugging out with the possible turn towards Charleston.

Go north, Florence!
Old 09-12-2018, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70t View Post
Protip from the news:

If penny is halfway down, power was restored sometime afterwards. Some food might be still good.
I would strongly suggest that you freeze a cup of water, then set a coin on it at your desk.

See how long the coin is "halfway down".

I have not done this myself, but keep in mind water is a chemical oddball in that its solid form FLOATS on its liquid form.

So the solid water could melt to liquid water, sink below the solid water, and the coin would float on a bed of solid water over the liquid water.

Last edited by Tervuren; 09-12-2018 at 06:55 PM..
Old 09-12-2018, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by john70t View Post
Protip from the news:

Better yet, freeze as many containers of water in your freezer as you can physically fit.

If the power is off and the freezer is kept closed, the frozen ice packs will keep it very cold for a few days.
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 09-12-2018, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

Garage
Definitely looking better for everyone in the storms path.
Cat 2
Old 09-12-2018, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)
Information Overloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims5543 View Post
Better yet, freeze as many containers of water in your freezer as you can physically fit.

If the power is off and the freezer is kept closed, the frozen ice packs will keep it very cold for a few days.
Use not completely-filled zip-loc baggies so you can stuff 'em in every which way.*

*An added bonus is you might come back to a freezer full of ice-locked food that you can't get out.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeform911 View Post
Definitely looking better for everyone in the storms path.
Cat 2
Great news, a strong 2 and with it beginning to interact with land it should stay a 2 and weaken.

It is still going to move really slow, that sucks.
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 09-13-2018, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Garage
I'm very surprised how accurate this storm was predicted, as in location.
Very happy they got the strength coming on shore wrong.
Hope it doesn't linger to long
Old 09-13-2018, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Glad to see it has been downgraded to a 2. Hope it doesn't dump the rain they were predicting.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeform911 View Post
I'm very surprised how accurate this storm was predicted, as in location.
Very happy they got the strength coming on shore wrong.
Hope it doesn't linger to long
I am actually amazed they did not bump the wind speed up 1 MPH and call it a Cat 3 storm.

They refused to downgrade Hurricane Irene in 2011 that hit NY, making NYers think that Sandy was just going to be more of the same a year later. I tried warning friends in NY that Irene was not a Hurricane and it was irresponsible to say it was, what happened to people with Sandy surprised them because of that.
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 09-13-2018, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

if anything the news people have downgraded the meaning of words like 'catastrophic' 'deadly' and such.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)

It was a relief late yesterday to see the focused storm center start to defuse and sprawl out some. This coincided with the reduction of wind speed and the downgrade to cat 2

It's still serious, but there is a big difference between 140+ mph. And 110- mph. In terms of the damage expected.

Let's hope that the dire estimates for the storm surge are over blown a bit.

The weather services sure have become a drama factory.

Hoping the best for those in Carolinas.

Cheers Richard
Old 09-13-2018, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by berettafan View Post
if anything the news people have downgraded the meaning of words like 'catastrophic' 'deadly' and such.
100% agree!!!
I wanted to reach through the tv and strangle the forecasters every time they used those terms
Give us the important info without all the drama..PLEASE
Old 09-13-2018, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
It was a relief late yesterday to see the focused storm center start to defuse and sprawl out some. This coincided with the reduction of wind speed and the downgrade to cat 2

It's still serious, but there is a big difference between 140+ mph. And 110- mph. In terms of the damage expected.

Let's hope that the dire estimates for the storm surge are over blown a bit.

The weather services sure have become a drama factory.

Hoping the best for those in Carolinas.

Cheers Richard
It is far better in terms of lost life to predict a stronger storm than it is to say its a non issue.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)
Parrothead member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tervuren View Post
It is far better in terms of lost life to predict a stronger storm than it is to say its a non issue.
Totally agree. That was a big lesson learned with Hurricane Sandy. People completely underestimated it. People refused to evac.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: