Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I've had "tram lines" a number of times at school. Tram lines are two strokes of the cane close together so it looked like tram lines on your arse. I'm sure those teachers got off on it.

My grandfather said there was some missunderstanding at his school and he got the cane. He told his dad and he went to the school and knocked out the teacher with one punch. You assault my child I assault you. His father was an Australian who's knickname was the Boss LOL.

Last edited by Bill Douglas; 09-11-2018 at 03:43 PM..
Old 09-11-2018, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

It seems completely bizarre to me that in the year 2018 a school official could "paddle" a student. We had it when I was growing up in the 80's but I don't recall it being commonly used. I think some schools still use it around here but it requires parental consent.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrup View Post
Back in the seventies it was common. I was desensitized by daily beatings at home, so they had no effect on me. I do remember one exceptional beating by my 5th grade PE teacher Mr Vandergreen. He took me into a equipment closet & administered a beating with a goalie stick that rivaled any beating my dad gave me. In my experience corporal punishment doesn't work & usually leads to abuse. My kids behaved fine without laying a hand on them.
We are like spirit animals.

My father was a druggie, he also dealt and he was a self absorbed ahole.

He worked nights at JFK airport and when he was not at work he was with his motorcycle gang getting into trouble. He was barely home, and when he was he was usually high on whatever he had that week.

Mom would leave me with him to go out and I can remember catching insane beatings because I was effing up his high with my childish carrying on.

I would catch beatings from that man that were mind blowing, from the time I was in Kindergarten until about 4th grade I was always in some sort of trouble and always catching beatings for it.

I can remember when he was done with me just laying there and it hurt to even move any part of my body. I also remember a few occasion when my grandfather, who lived across the street from us, coming over to stop my dad from beating me.

Which sucked because that enraged him more and as soon as my grandfather was back in his own house I got it even harder.

So tell me, why would a school aged kid scare me? They didn't I was small but I knew I could take punches from a grown man, I was not afraid to fight any kid and man I got into a ton of fights.

By the time I was in 4th grade my mother threatened to divorce my dad unless he changed his ways and started going to church. My the time I got to middle school the beatings were pretty much over because those would not be christlike.

Then it switched from physical abuse to mental abuse, I was never religious enough for him, I was a disappointment and I was hindering his advancement of lofty positions in the church because I was not religious enough. I think I missed the beatings by the time I was a teen at least with those you knew where you stood.

In Middle school I had a gym coach throw me around, a kid kicked a basket across the locker room and it hit me, I kicked it away from me so I could continue changing out. Guess who the coach saw kick the basket.

He went on to throw me around like a rag doll into walls and lockers and ask how I liked being tossed around.

I never said anything about that. Years later when I was an adult I told the story in front of my father, he asked why I never told them, I said very bluntly, I already caught one ass kicking why would I come home and get him to kick my ass again.

Now as an adult I have never hit my kids and I do not mentally screw with them. I support them I help them I do not want to say I am a friend to them, but I have a very honest and open relationship with both my boys, I do not judge.

And I have a little rule, whenever a parenting challenge is in front of me, I think what my dad would do, then do the opposite.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 09-11-2018, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
I wouldn't be against corporal punishment in school if it weren't for the fact that i have almost zero trust or respect for many of the people who work in schools.
They already make enough stupid decisions, no sense throwing fuel on the fire.

Besides, they'd probably just go on strike demanding a raise because of the added workload
After that thread in parf where a teacher was punishing a student for calling her ma'am, I agree 100%, I will take care of the discipline.

While the idea of getting a paddle from a football linebacker scared me in middle school, there is no need for that kind of discipline this day and age.
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 09-11-2018, 01:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Guess I'll be the "other side" of the issue. Kids today are NOT the same of kids in the 70's. That being said, discipline has to start in the home, with a balanced approach. A little pain to the butt is what brings back memories when faced with wrong vs right. Due to legal issues and kids having no respect for much of any authority, wholesale corporal discipline might be a ship wreck. HOWEVER, I do of know of 2 local schools that still have it, and their kids are well balanced and the schools reputation for educated, social, and responsible kids is known over multiple states. So, when applied correctly, it does work.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

I went to Catholic school. Avoid nujs with rulers
Old 09-11-2018, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instrument 41 View Post
Guess I'll be the "other side" of the issue. Kids today are NOT the same of kids in the 70's. That being said, discipline has to start in the home, with a balanced approach. A little pain to the butt is what brings back memories when faced with wrong vs right. Due to legal issues and kids having no respect for much of any authority, wholesale corporal discipline might be a ship wreck. HOWEVER, I do of know of 2 local schools that still have it, and their kids are well balanced and the schools reputation for educated, social, and responsible kids is known over multiple states. So, when applied correctly, it does work.
One question, do you have kids?

I was an expert on raising them until I had my own and realized I knew nothing.

It was and is the hardest thing I have had to do in my life.
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 09-11-2018, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
I see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner or later View Post
That's how I got expelled from catholic grade school...I grabbed the pointer and hit her back. I was in 2nd grade at the time.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 09-11-2018, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Binge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims5543 View Post
We are like spirit animals.
My story is much like yours. I escaped by getting in so much trouble, they sent me to a boys home when I was 14. I was eventually kicked out of the group home for GTA. When I returned home, things were different & so was I. He wanted to be my buddy & bought me a bong for my 16th Bday. He threw me out of the house soon after & that's when I dropped out of school & started working full time.

When I got sober, I took a hard look at my childhood. I spoke with my sister about the abuse & determined he had no place in my life largely for what he did to her. I haven't seen or spoken to him in over 20 years & he lives 10 miles away. He will never meet his grandson & I very rarely think about him.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

One question, do you have kids?

I was an expert on raising them until I had my own and realized I knew nothing.

It was and is the hardest thing I have had to do in my life.

Yep, 4 boys, 26, 24, 23 and 21. A nurse and army Sargent, Mech Eng, business owner, and a ....musician. ANd let me tell you, the rod was not spared in our household. All good guys.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims5543 View Post
And I have a little rule, whenever a parenting challenge is in front of me, I think what my dad would do, then do the opposite.
I can tell my mom does this in relation to what her own mom would have done.

There are times and instances maybe her mom was right amid all the wrong.

Parenting, so many ways to go wrong, so few to go right.

Those that take it on amaze me.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

I can't help but laugh. Flatbutt offers up a thread on paddling in school, and is opposed. Haha! I wonder why?
Old 09-11-2018, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Paddling was stopped while I was in school. The thing I noticed is that the kids who's parents refused to let them be paddled were the worst and most disruptive students.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

I've never hit (or verbally abused) my kids, my wife or my dogs. I couldn't be happier about how they all turned out and our relationships with one another. There are lots of ways to get respect and hitting is one of the least productive ways.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

Worked for me
Old 09-11-2018, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Maybe we should be paddling some of the teachers

Quote:
Sarah Gilliam, 35, who had been an English teacher at Hilliard Bradley High School since 2007, said her quiz was intended to be thought provoking, said Stacie Raterman, a district spokeswoman, cited by the Dispatch.

The quiz reportedly listed 36 scenarios in which the students were to respond on a seven-step scale ranging from “Not OK” to “OK.”

Among the bizarre questions on the quiz obtained by Columbus' FOX 28 were: “A man kills a baby rabbit with a knife on a live TV show,” and “A brother and sister decide they want to sleep with each other – just once, to see what it would be like, but use a condom and the pill."
Old 09-12-2018, 05:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Autumn in his heart

I was never "hit" as a child - hand slapped, the occasional shoe thrown my way, etc.

My kids had their hand slapped a few times, mostly ceremonial stuff to drive home a point.

Catholic School? Twice and I deserved it both times.

The first was the ubiquitous ruler. The second time they called my mother and let her know what I had done and the recommended punishment. They put me on the phone and she asked if what the Father said was true.

It was.

"Swing away" was her response once the Father got back on the phone.

Kitchen clean.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
"O"man(are we in trouble)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner or later View Post
I share your pain!
Old 09-12-2018, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

I remember one time when I was young and was acting up at the dinner table. My mother told me to stop but I ignored her and continued. Dad said "that's enough".

For some reason, I decided to call his bluff and test the lines to see just how much I could get away with. IOW I continued my shenanigans in defiance.

Dad had a butter knife in his hand and flipped it around so the blade was in his hand, and gently reached over and thumped me on top of the head with the handle. He then calmly continued with his meal.

That got my attention to say the least (hurt like heck), and he never had to use physical discipline with me again.
That was a very valuable lesson that I am thankful for and a better person as a result.

I don't recall ever swatting either of my kids, but certainly would have if it were deemed necessary. Usually just a glance was enough. A few times I may have raised my voice.
Mom played good cop so I usually had to play bad cop.

Last edited by sammyg2; 09-12-2018 at 06:05 AM..
Old 09-12-2018, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
I see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdavis11 View Post
I can't help but laugh. Flatbutt offers up a thread on paddling in school, and is opposed. Haha! I wonder why?
Not sure I get your point but...having a father who used his fists a lot plus the strap may have something to do with it. I vowed to never strike my children and never have. So the thought of a teacher or other school official striking my child, or yours just doesn't sit right with me.

Further, I was always involved with the education of my children. I didn't rely on the teachers to do all of the work. I tutored them at home and helped with homework. Why would I allow the school to physically assault my kids?

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 09-12-2018, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: