Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
Not sure I get your point but...having a father who used his fists a lot plus the strap may have something to do with it. I vowed to never strike my children and never have. So the thought of a teacher or other school official striking my child, or yours just doesn't sit right with me.

Further, I was always involved with the education of my children. I didn't rely on the teachers to do all of the work. I tutored them at home and helped with homework. Why would I allow the school to physically assault my kids?
I think Matt was referring to your screen name, "flat butt".
As in got a flat butt because he was paddled too many times and doan want no mo. it got a chuckle out of me .....
Old 09-12-2018, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

I have two of my own. I don't give advice anymore. People that have wonderful kids, hate to tell ya but it's not always the parenting. Some kids are just programmed differently.

I met a guy at a bar one night and he was telling me about his two kids that went to Harvard and Boston University. I said you obviously have the parenting thing down. He replied that he left out the one that was in prison. In that kids defense, he did play in the NHL.

To the original question, I don't want school doing the hitting but I am okay if they kicked my kid out of class and he or she wouldn't move. Then remove physically if needed.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
I see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
I think Matt was referring to your screen name, "flat butt".
As in got a flat butt because he was paddled too many times and doan want no mo. it got a chuckle out of me .....
Well ain't I the dense one!! HA!

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 09-12-2018, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
I have two of my own. I don't give advice anymore. People that have wonderful kids, hate to tell ya but it's not always the parenting. Some kids are just programmed differently.
I have three siblings.

Each drastically different.

All of us grew up in the same house, same town, same parents.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
Well ain't I the dense one!! HA!
Dense? naw.
Prolly just a bit more focused on the subject at hand than some of us
Old 09-12-2018, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
I remember one time when I was young and was acting up at the dinner table. My mother told me to stop but I ignored her and continued. Dad said "that's enough".

For some reason, I decided to call his bluff and test the lines to see just how much I could get away with. IOW I continued my shenanigans in defiance.

Dad had a butter knife in his hand and flipped it around so the blade was in his hand, and gently reached over and thumped me on top of the head with the handle. He then calmly continued with his meal.

That got my attention to say the least (hurt like heck), and he never had to use physical discipline with me again.
That was a very valuable lesson that I am thankful for and a better person as a result.

I don't recall ever swatting either of my kids, but certainly would have if it were deemed necessary. Usually just a glance was enough. A few times I may have raised my voice.
Mom played good cop so I usually had to play bad cop.
My wife is the bad cop. She get really pissed at me for being disconnected from the discipline.

I blame that on my father, I know I am offspring of him, I know deep down his crappy soul lurks in me. One time when my older son was about 2-3 years old I lost it on him, he was being a monster that day and driving us nuts, he pushed my buttons and I snapped. I turned into my father, I lost it completely and beat him in the back seat of our car in a parking lot of all places. The look on both my wife's face and my 3 year old sons is still like it was yesterday.

I was mortified immediately and hated myself for being my father.

That was the last time I ever struck another human being to this day.

So when I feel that monster welling inside me, I disconnect and I get away from the conflict and calm down. Once everyone is calm again, I will then come and talk to the offender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instrument 41 View Post
One question, do you have kids?
I was an expert on raising them until I had my own and realized I knew nothing.
It was and is the hardest thing I have had to do in my life.
Yep, 4 boys, 26, 24, 23 and 21. A nurse and army Sargent, Mech Eng, business owner, and a ....musician. ANd let me tell you, the rod was not spared in our household. All good guys.
Congrats! Amazing how different each kid is. My oldest is 25 now and can run my business and has when I am not around. I really want him to go out and do his own thing, find himself, but, he likes working alongside me, he is a great co-worker and son.

My younger is 15, he is really smart, I am not sure I can help him with math much more as he is about to exceed my level of education as a freshman.

Not sure what direction he is going in, I am confident he will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post

I met a guy at a bar one night and he was telling me about his two kids that went to Harvard and Boston University. I said you obviously have the parenting thing down. He replied that he left out the one that was in prison. In that kids defense, he did play in the NHL.

To the original question, I don't want school doing the hitting but I am okay if they kicked my kid out of class and he or she wouldn't move. Then remove physically if needed.
My nephew is a perfect example of that, horrible life growing up, very sweet kid that would give you the shirt off his back would never think of doing anything wrong or harming anyone.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 09-12-2018, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

I have three brothers, 6 years difference in age from the oldest to youngest.

we were all raised in the same house with same parents, but different environments.
We all know the first born gets more attention good or bad, by the 3rd or 4th they pretty much just hope for the best.

Things change.
But were are also different people with different personalities and different stories.
I believe that good parents sets high expectations, firm and CONSISTENT boundaries and strongly reinforce the difference between right and wrong at an early age, and teach morals. by the time the kid is 13 it's too late.

I remember a neighbor kid my age that was a real terror. Always out of control.
One time when he was around 14 he was tearing the trim off his mom's car. Right in front of her.
She said to him "honey, don't do that.
Honey, please don't, I'm begging you.
Then she turned to me and said "I just don't know what to do with him".
I said if I acted like that I'd get the crap knocked out of me.
She said she didn't believe in that.

He was in prison before he was 21, I heard he got out a while back. His older brother was murdered when he was in his 20's.

His dad was usually too drunk to do any parenting. He was a businessman drunk who went to lunch with clients and stayed there until it was time to go home around 7, and pass out.
Just about every day.
Bad parents. Their fault.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: