Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Did you get the memo?

Feedback on Grand Cayman Islands?

My wife and I are considering this for our next family beach vacation. Kids are 8, 11, 14, love outdoors and active type stuff, love the beach and love to swim. The Caymans look really nice, safe, there are lots of VRBO type options, and flights are very reasonable on Delta (I would be using miles). So, anyone been? Feedback, places to stay, things to do, all would be appreciated.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

Its been 20 years, but I've been there. Its very pretty, sugar white sand beaches. But its pretty small, and everything is crazy expensive.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Go there all the time. Love it. Your kids will LOVE Sting Ray City. Very safe place with wonderful people. Eat at Tukka's or Eagle Ray's on the East End. Best fish tacos in the world.....

FWIW we usually stay in Cayman Kai. Farther away but so laid back no crowds. 7 Mile Beach is like a zoo now. Unless you like crowds and development I would avoid that area...
Old 09-12-2018, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Visited for a day as part of a cruise excursion. Did the micro-jungle critter tour and dolphin encounter. It was fun.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
If you are flying in try to find a gap in the cruise ships.

Will lower tourist count by several thousand.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
We did a family vacation to GC last year, stayed for 9 days and flew out on Christmas day. The busy side of the island is George Town and where nearly all the action takes place. That side is protected from onshore winds resulting in calm waters and super clean white sand beaches. The cruise ships port nearby and as Tevuren says you should time your visit to George Town shops around the ship schedules (posted online). We spent 3 hours in town total for the duration of our stay...shopping and crowds are not our thing.

We are open water divers so most of our time was spent in the ocean diving or snorkeling. We stayed on the East End, Wyndham Reef Resort, for our entire trip. That side of the island is quiet and not touristy, great access to unspoiled beaches and diving. Nearby is Rum Point which would be excellent for younger kids. Several beach side bars/food that are reasonably priced. Drive time to George Town is ~ 40 minutes depending on traffic.

Staying on GC is costly - groceries and alcohol are insanely expensive. Gallon of milk is $6-7, jar of peanut butter $7, can of tuna $8, 1L of bourbon/scotch/tequila is ~ $60, their local rum is cheaper by half.

Overall the island is wonderful and safe. Outside the beach/ocean there is not a ton of stuff to do which might give me pause with young kids. I think your best bet is to stay in George Town/West Bay area. Your kids will love 7 mile beach, there are lots of snorkel opportunities there and the water is insanely clear and beautiful. I read some recent reviews of the East End and it sounds like they are dealing with unusually large amounts of seaweed. The beach off our resort was often wind blown and had more than usual sea grass all of which limits visibility.

If you are not divers I would recommend a intro-dive course. Water clarity in GC is typically over 100'. The Cayman trench can be as close as 300 yards from some shores and the drop off is something like 20K feet...sounds scary but is actually amazing. As intro divers you won't be venturing too close but can easily do amazing pass through dives and coral reef at 35'-40'.

Last edited by JavaBrewer; 09-12-2018 at 08:29 AM..
Old 09-12-2018, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Great place to bank!
Old 09-12-2018, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Thanks all, great feedback as always! We will probably stay in a VRBO, with three kids hotel rooms become a challenge and get pricey. We've been looking at both Rum Point and Seven Mile Beach as options. So far I've identified the stingray city, a boat charter, deep sea fishing, kayaking, biking the island, cruising the various beach bars, a diving intro, and of course the beach as stuff we could do for fun.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Running tights will keep you a bit warmer and be less bulky than a wet suit. You want to get certified to dive before you go.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rum Point/Cayman Kai IMO. Beautiful beach a couple of good restaurants and very nice houses for rent. Georgetown is overcrowded and overpriced. The East End still echoes the "old" Grand Cayman I first visited in 1980.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

7 Mile Beach vs Rum Point pros and cons? I would greatly prefer to avoid the crowded touristy areas, but also would like to have decent options to walk for food. Plenty of rental options at both.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Rum point is more of an outpost. A sit down restaurant, several casual cafe/bar places with seating on the sand, a few shops, and boating/jet ski rentals. I like it because it's very peaceful and the water is calm. Best snorkeling is just west of the pier with water depth ~ 3-8 feet.

7 Mile beach is lined with every hotel imaginable ($$$-Bezo Money). The water and beach is superior to Rum point. Tons of action, and resulting crowds. The cruise ship terminal is close by so the beach closer to the port gets loaded with cruisers.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cairns View Post
Go there all the time. Love it. Your kids will LOVE Sting Ray City. Very safe place with wonderful people. Eat at Tukka's or Eagle Ray's on the East End. Best fish tacos in the world.....
Second Tukka's (Sunday brunch!) and Eagle Ray's (on property with Ocean Frontiers Dive shop...who we used). From East end to Rum Point another casual place with great food and drinks and right on the water is Over the Edge. A barefoot put your feet up and relax place. That is what GC is all about for us.

Closer to George Town the best beach away from crowds is Spotts. Very reliable for turtle sighting and rays - bring your mask and fins!

Last edited by JavaBrewer; 09-12-2018 at 11:49 AM..
Old 09-12-2018, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

You can walk to two restaurants on Rum Point. One is one of the best on the island but has a downstairs that is more casual and open all day. The other is more casual beach type food but very good (think that may be Over the Edge Java referred to). There's a coffee/cake shop too. 7 Mile Beach will have scads of restaurants.

You will need to drive on the left but that's probably one of the easiest places in the world to learn if you haven't before.

Quote:
A barefoot put your feet up and relax place. That is what GC is all about for us.
I second that big time.

Also be aware leaving Grand Cayman is a royal PITA- the airport is small and crowded. Get there early and eat before you go in. They're building a new one but it will be awhile yet.

Last edited by cairns; 09-12-2018 at 12:03 PM..
Old 09-12-2018, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Thanks guys. We are all about chill vacations. Give me a tiki bar on the beach with good food, good beer, and a place that the kids can swim.......life is good. I'm not big on the fancy and stuffy places at any time, but on vacation forget it. I drive in the UK for work so that's not an issue.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cairns View Post
Also be aware leaving Grand Cayman is a royal PITA- the airport is small and crowded. Get there early and eat before you go in. They're building a new one but it will be awhile yet.
Our arrival and the customs process was also a PITA. We were the only plane going through at the time and it took us almost 2 hours, they had 3 folks working the line until half were through then dropped to 1 person. Reminded me of the CA DMV. Agree you should eat before hitting the airport, not much there...especially on Christmas day All we could score was vending machine fare.

Driving the island is easy, everything is a round about, and with one main road it's hard to get lost. If you venture to the East end mind the speed limits...saw lots of tickets being issued during our stay. We rented a Jeep and drove it with the top down the entire time - it really added to our trip. YMMV.

My wife and I did the Barefoot Man show and dinner which is every Wednesday night at the Wyndham resort we stayed at. I would not recommend going out of your way for it, the show and dinner was decidedly meh. I think it would be much better if held in the sand on the beach rather than the hotel restaurant. Even though we enjoyed various folks getting triggered (they walked out) with his non-PC content I would not do it again.

Last edited by JavaBrewer; 09-12-2018 at 01:33 PM..
Old 09-12-2018, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
We did an all-inclusive at Sunset House dive resort about 10 years ago. It is on the west end well away from the cruise ships. Great diving, friendly folk, very expensive. I would do it again but... so many reefs, so little time.

Last edited by Cajundaddy; 09-12-2018 at 07:53 PM..
Old 09-12-2018, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
Great place to bank!
I keep all my drug money there!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 09-12-2018, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
We have been three times and will be going back again soon... Not soon enough with the weather changing on the west side of the great white north.
Guy Harvey's is pretty good bet for their dinner specials.
The stingray tour or Stingray City is really cool and the kids would love that.
The evening bioluminescent kayak tour is a nice evening out too.
Have fun....
Edit: The snorkeling at Dart Park beach was really quite good.
And a bunch of parts I haven't installed yet.

Last edited by billybek; 09-12-2018 at 06:13 PM..
Old 09-12-2018, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Good advice here. We did a VRBO on Seven Mile Beach and then did day trips from there. Rum point and stingray city were great, but rum point is an outpost rather than a place to use as a HQ. Nothing was a bargain and things were a little pricey, but I don't recall things being horribly expensive for an island tourist location. There are parts of the island that are more barren and less visited. If you're willing to drive (out to the east?), you can be by yourself in a flash. Lots of large lizards running around. We really enjoyed it but didn't feel the need to return soon.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: