Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Crooked body shops

O'Hare Auto Body in Bensenville IL: Beware!!!

If anyone has any other suggestions. Please let me know!!

This Body shop did thirteen thousands of dollars unauthorized repairs on my Porsche 911S. Yes that correct $13,000!!! They took almost two years to do the work and never informed me the repairs were denied by the insurance company, yet they continued to work on the car. Now they are keeping my car and have threatened to sell it. I now have retain a lawyer to file suit to get my car back. I have in addition contacted the States attorney office and they told me that there me be some criminal exposures their as well. RE: insurance fraud etc. & auto theft. So they want me to come in and file charges, witch I will!!! The State attorney also told me call the police and claim the car stolen.
The GM on staff at the time tried to tell the owner to give me back my car, that none of this is my fault, and the owner refused. Since then there has been several GM's walk out on this place. Run don't walk this place!!!
Old 09-12-2018, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
How far are you from Madison, WI. There is a good shop just south of there in Verona.

Sounds like they did stuff and gambled on being paid for it in your case. Sorry ofr your troubles.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Not that "yelp" is by any means the gold standard of fair/unbiased reviews....but.... take a look at some of these.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/o-hare-auto-body-ltd-bensenville

angela
81 Coupe "Butters" SCWDP #0036
Dad's SS - 87 Monte Carlo Aerocoupe
Traveling sucks, but it sucks a great deal less when you're driving a Porsche.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
All rated either 1 or 5 stars. That tells me a bunch of bogus high ratings and a few legit low ones.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Here's hoping that at least the work was done correctly.

Can you contact any of the former GMs and let them know to contact the SA office?
Old 09-12-2018, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

O'Hare has always been a SH**Y body shop. I hope you have a signed work order, with the repairs you requested, clearly written out. If it was verbal, be prepared to spend $$$ on a lawyer.

The SA advising you to call the police is a way to get you off the phone. The police usually won't file a theft report, considering you willingly gave them the car to work on. If the SA wants you to come in and sign a complaint, DO IT. Don't count on the Bensenville detective's doing too much.

https://birkholz.com/ Has done excellent work on numerous friends high line cars.

https://dmcorvette.com/ Is also an excellent choice. They work on other vehicles, in addition to Corvettes.

The first thing you need to do, is get your car back. You don't want to find it sitting outside with the windows open, and parts missing.

The on staff GM was playing good cop/bad cop with the owner, and you. They want the 13k, and will use every angle to get it.

Get all of your documentation together. I don't know of a lawyer that deals with this type of case, I know of one who can recommend someone. You want this case in DuPage county, due to the jury pool. IMHO, but the right lawyer may want it in Cook County, depending where you live. If you live in Lake, that may be better. It shouldn't be hard to find out who O'Hare uses for their lawyer. They definitely have one.

Do not say anything to O'Hare about a lawyer. Blindside them, and their lawyer. Even if you have to pay the 13k to get your car back.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Taunter of Asshats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecaibrown View Post
..... now have retain a lawyer to file suit to get my car back. ........
Think I'd pay to get car back, then sue for the 13k...... If you want your car.

#red-beard2020
Old 09-12-2018, 08:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Talk to a cop and get him to accompany you to the place. This way it's free. Elaborate by explaining it may get violent and you want a cop present to break up the fight.

Around here it's called "Theft by retention" and I'm sure you guys have the same. The cop will tell them to release the car to you, and they have to dispute you to get the money. Don't pay them.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I hate body shops. Three years ago I had a door painted on my Cayman. Paint work was great.Unfortunately they broke a piece of interior trim and a few weeks later the door locks went crazy. And the window would not go down. I had to take the door card off to find a wire harness pinched under the window motor. Yes the shop owner is a very nice guy and he would have fixed these things. I did it myself.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Douglas View Post
Talk to a cop and get him to accompany you to the place. This way it's free. Elaborate by explaining it may get violent and you want a cop present to break up the fight.

Around here it's called "Theft by retention" and I'm sure you guys have the same. The cop will tell them to release the car to you, and they have to dispute you to get the money. Don't pay them.

I don't think it works exactly like that in Illinois. I know a few guys who own "high volume" body shops in Illinois. Usually the cops will only go as far a keeping the peace. If you don't act right, you will be told to leave the business by the cop, and may be told that you will be charged with trespassing if you return.

On the other end, the car can be retrieved by "force". Sometimes the car owner will be charged with theft of services. I'm pretty sure this body shop has cameras, so that makes the case easier for them. If a person goes this route, go right to the car and leave with it. Don't go thru the office, go thru the gate, block the gate with a car or truck. Bring a jump pack, keys, and gas. Having a car trailer blocking the gate works well, drive the car on it. Park the car at a friends place until the court case starts. This route is very common. The shop can't file for a title lien without the car. 13k on the line, they want the car or the cash.

Friends of mine have had to retrieve cars this way from scumbag body and chassis shops. They have all the power when they have the car. Once the car is on a trailer, and no longer in their possession, the playing field has been evened out. If the cops show up, they cannot legally take the car off the trailer, only impound it. Now the cops are responsible for the "possession" of the car. The right lawyer will have the car released to the rightful owner in 24 hours. Fight it out in court, while your property is in your possession.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoz1 View Post
I don't think it works exactly like that in Illinois. I know a few guys who own "high volume" body shops in Illinois. Usually the cops will only go as far a keeping the peace. If you don't act right, you will be told to leave the business by the cop, and may be told that you will be charged with trespassing if you return.

On the other end, the car can be retrieved by "force". Sometimes the car owner will be charged with theft of services. I'm pretty sure this body shop has cameras, so that makes the case easier for them. If a person goes this route, go right to the car and leave with it. Don't go thru the office, go thru the gate, block the gate with a car or truck. Bring a jump pack, keys, and gas. Having a car trailer blocking the gate works well, drive the car on it. Park the car at a friends place until the court case starts. This route is very common. The shop can't file for a title lien without the car. 13k on the line, they want the car or the cash.

Friends of mine have had to retrieve cars this way from scumbag body and chassis shops. They have all the power when they have the car. Once the car is on a trailer, and no longer in their possession, the playing field has been evened out. If the cops show up, they cannot legally take the car off the trailer, only impound it. Now the cops are responsible for the "possession" of the car. The right lawyer will have the car released to the rightful owner in 24 hours. Fight it out in court, while your property is in your possession.
Im not sure this is wiseadvice. I would be defcon 5 if you tried that at my place,moo7HGYYYYYYGHGHFR54R; HGJMNHGFA
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 09-13-2018, 03:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

sorry, my kid finished that post for me . Im just saying this seems like a great way to get into a violent altercation
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 09-13-2018, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

No Violents on my part. The GM who worked there at the time, signed a Affidavit and is trying to help me get my car back. He feel real bad about what happened! i already meat wth the States Attorney once and they want me to come back to file charges against the shop and they will investigate. I had to retain a lawyer and they are filling suit against the shop and the Insurance company. When I originally took the car in, all that was wrong with it was it had a tiny little split in the dash. When I went to pick it up, there was damage to the car and some type of solvent splashed all over the paint that ruined the paint. Of course this shop denied this. This was some small shop that fixed interiors. A different shop then where it is being held hostage now. So I called my insurance company and went and got a referral to the shop where the car is being held hostage now. I meat the GM and the insurance adjustor and they went over the car. After about 20 minutes they told me they are set here I can go. So I left. 18 months later I found out that this shop is keeping my car. I immediately called the insurance company and they said the shop did work over and above what they approved? I never received and notice form either party along the way of any denial I really wasn't too happy about how long it was taken but I stayed patient along way. So now I have to wait to see what the lawyers and the States Attorney can do? It has now been over 2 years since i dropped the car off. A lot of time dealing the lawyer, police, and State Attorney. Buy the Way my insurance company was Hagerty at the time. I am not too happy with them either. I should have been informed very early in this process that they were denying part to the work. Not 18 month later!
Old 09-13-2018, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

How do you leave your car for 2 years at a body shop? That shows that you don't care, any vehicle left several years at any body shop or mechanic shops will end up in a similar situation.

When I take my car to any shop, I am constantly dropping by to see progress, that sends a loud message to the shop owner, that they cannot back burner you and your car and its a squeaky wheel situation...you will get the oil!
Old 09-13-2018, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

mordecai you are misinterpreting SA's action as advocating for you. they are not.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I did care, The Shop GM kept in formed on the process of the car. I did drop in several times.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

In NC the auto repair shop must inform you in writing or verbally the estimate of repair. It must not exceed 10% of the estimate and or $350max.
The verbal part scares me because well....that’s obvious.
Maybe your state has something similar. I’d hope the lawyer was aware.

https://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_20/Article_15B.html
Old 09-13-2018, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

No Violents on my part. The GM who worked there at the time, signed a Affidavit and is trying to help me get my car back. He feel real bad about what happened! i already meat wth the States Attorney once and they want me to come back to file charges against the shop and they will investigate. I had to retain a lawyer and they are filling suit against the shop and the Insurance company. When I originally took the car in, all that was wrong with it was it had a tiny little split in the dash. When I went to pick it up, there was damage to the car and some type of solvent splashed all over the paint that ruined the paint. Of course this shop denied this. This was some small shop that fixed interiors. A different shop then where it is being held hostage now. So I called my insurance company and went and got a referral to the shop where the car is being held hostage now. I meat the GM and the insurance adjustor and they went over the car. After about 20 minutes they told me they are set here I can go. So I left. 18 months later I found out that this shop is keeping my car. I immediately called the insurance company and they said the shop did work over and above what they approved? I never received and notice form either party along the way of any denial I really wasn't too happy about how long it was taken but I stayed patient along way. So now I have to wait to see what the lawyers and the States Attorney can do? It has now been over 2 years since i dropped the car off. A lot of time dealing the lawyer, police, and State Attorney. Buy the Way my insurance company was Hagerty at the time. I am not too happy with them either. I should have been informed very early in this process that they were denying part to the work. Not 18 month later!
Old 09-13-2018, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
=VLOOKUP(val,tab,col,rng)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoz1 View Post

Hoo wee!

That would be an Adrenalin rush. Good to know if I ever get my car stuck in a bodyshop in IL.

Is your friend for hire? Either that, or round up every big dude you know, show up with a mob of like 30 dudes when you do this...Push the damn thing on the trailer if needed, or hire Mafioso to help you along.

rjp

Last edited by RANDY P; 09-13-2018 at 05:39 AM..
Old 09-13-2018, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

So berettafan I noticed you go on everyones post with the same legal statement! So what would you do if you are going to lose your car that has at least $80K invested in it? If I going to lose my car, witch at this point I very well may? I minds well let people know about it. I can only hope this doesn't happen to someone else! I did noting but simply drop off the car like anyone else would have. The GM and the insurance adjuster determined that the car needed a full paint job. I had no say on what they determined. I was never informed of any cost either. The GM later explained to me that he was assured by the insurance adjuster the work would be approved. I did call the insurance company and no one there told me anything different. Only after several calls to the insurance company did I find out they were not paying all the work the body shop did. This almost 18 months after I dropped of the car. It takes along time to strip a old car down and repaint it. The GM kept me informed on the work process along the whole time the car was there. I started to realize there was a issue when the shop asked me to check on some of the amendments the insurance company still owes, but again this was 18 months into the work and the car was just about completed. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't be losing my car!!! That's my big mistake!
Old 09-13-2018, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: