Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
How big is your "oh crap my Porsche broke" fund.

Just wondering what kind of cash people set aside for that moment when your 915 decided to be a 915, or when that tired ol engine needs a 20K "refresh". I have set 9K aside for now, plan to have 15K for that 'incase' moment that makes me wish I bought a Vette.

At this point I am mostly terrified to drive my car with any haste in fear I will incur massive Porsche bill.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
Heh - my 644 decided to be a 915. I have the funds to fix it, but I haven't found a shop to do it.
Various VWs
Old 09-13-2018, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Big enough to buy a new (used) engine if my 996 grenades. Touch wood.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I'm beginning to wonder why I love Porsche... never meet your hero I guess #lovehate lol

If you can't afford a new Porsche you shouldn't buy a used Porsche maybe.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

What I found irritating is being in that situation over 356/912 engines. $15K rebuild bill for a 90hp flat 4? No thank you. Sold! $15K for a 996 engine makes a little more sense...
Old 09-13-2018, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Yea, the cost of a low tech low power Porsche engine blows my mind, they are nothing special. I have no interest in a Vette, but man do I get the appeal. So much car for the money, and the new Vettes out drive the 991 now... but they are like a belly button, my 911SC is the only one around at any given moment and I like that.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Driver, not Mechanic

I'm at 160k mi on my 911, but doesn't consume oil that much. While I don't have funds specific for a rebuild, I do expect to tap into my emergency fund which is currently at 6 mos living expenses...
Old 09-13-2018, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Emotion plays a part. A pragmatic person would cut loses. One attached to a car will spend stupid. My wife is the latter. She would spend 2K to keep her 6-7K Boxster on the go. I'd part it out. If the IMS goes, it gets parted.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
I'm in my car right. If the engine goes, the car goes.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Weekend Worrier

Pelican parts 911 technical forums, some Wayne Dempsey books, and a crapload of elbow grease.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabmando View Post
I'm in my car right. If the engine goes, the car goes.
This might be the sadist thing I have heard, and a profound statement on the Porsche as a product.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
This might be the sadist thing I have heard, and a profound statement on the Porsche as a product.
But an accurate one for many Porsche models. Not all Porsches become sought after collector cars. How much would you pay to keep even a well set up 944 running?
Old 09-13-2018, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s View Post
How much would you pay to keep even a well set up 944 running?
My 944 has been my daily driver for the past 2 years. I put aside $100 a month for upkeep on it. So far I am ahead. The last 944 was also a DD (for 6 years) and I was ahead when I sold it too.

Will I ever get that money back? No but it's still cheaper than a car payment. And at least the car will still be worth something when I decide to get rid of it unlike a Taurus or Camry. Besides, I enjoy driving it and also fixing it when something goes wrong.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I don't have a fund. That's why the Good Lord gave us two kidneys.

I have an air-cooled 911 because it is the car that has always made me the happiest. I have owned over 75 cars and trucksin my life, from used beaters to brand new Porsches to purpose built race cars, to musclecars, and I always come back to the luftkuhler--I've owned six of them.

I'll probably be buried in one, literally and financially.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like the car. I'm just not willing to dump a bunch of money in the car. I don't have much in my car. I bought it when you could buy one cheap and did a lot of the work myself. I'm in a good position to where if something went really wrong I could sell it and probably lose nothing.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Next week it gets a new clutch. Next week my oh crap my Porsche broke fund will be $2k for that. Hoping for less but expecting not.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Zink Racer

We had a guy at a DE I was working a corner for that blew the engine on his 997. Oil everywhere and a hole in the case from what I heard. Poor guy thought a radiator hose had come loose and it was coolant. I had instructed him at a drivers skills day and let's just say, he was quite aggressive with the car. I don't know what he did, whether he missed a shift or if he indeed did anything. I heard the car is still sitting at the dealership here waiting for him to decide what to do. He lives a few hours away and had driven the car to the event.......
Old 09-13-2018, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
I do have savings that I can tap into. No separate funds. Nobody will go hungry and there will still be enough for emergencies.

My engine was rebuilt by the PO at about 70k miles due to a money shift, so that still is great at 140+k. The transmission I took out myself due to a bad differential and TRE kindly rebuilt it to my specs including steel sychros and shift forks and a shiny $2500 GT LSD. I do recall it was a bit pricey but never showed anyone the receipts.

If the engine goes, I will rebuild it myself, no problem. The parts are not that expensive.

The nice thing is that I can probably sell my car for what I have "in it", not including maintenance.

G
Old 09-13-2018, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
sadly because of the insane cost of Porsche running gear, I don't see myself ever getting to really drive the car hard, or even hardish.

Maybe I can pick out a Miata or Vette or something to run hard in, less kaboomee, and less $$$$ to fix.

I love the Porsche, but for the love of god engine costs are out of control for a mildly warmed over VW.

I mean 15-25k for an engine, and 10K for a crappy 915 trans rebuild... I just don't understand... that would be 700hp and bulletproof in many other brands.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

$0.

But the "Gonna get it restored some day" fund has finally recovered.... still a way to go though.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: