Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Weekend Worrier

Roof/cargo box- advice?

Anyone have any experience/opinions on roof type cargo boxes? I've had roof racks for bikes, yakima open racks, rear bike racks, but never an enclosed roof box.

something like this:

Having tried all the others, I am looking for something with less drag/fuel inefficiency than an open type/off road rack, as well as less wind noise.

I also want added security access, and waterproof storage. Everything I seem to store in the open rack, even in waterproof type roof bags seems to eventually get soaked. It also takes forever to lash that stuff down in the open roof rack.

Also, lots of different sizes and price ranges. Anyone have one? Used one you don't want? and what do you like/would do differently if you had to do it again?

Thanks,
ron
Old 10-11-2018, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Weekend Worrier

This is a website I stumbled across, nice to see them, but I wouldn't know where to start. Hit the upper right/left set of arrows to toggle through the endless options for your upper middle class adventure machine.

https://www.mr-box.com/us/car/volvo/xc70

Some of them are super sleek like the photon torpedo thingee spock got buried in, others are bloated like an enema. Ideally, I would like to be able to haul Aunt Edna on the roof (laying down in the box of course).

Last edited by LEAKYSEALS951; 10-11-2018 at 09:15 AM..
Old 10-11-2018, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

we had one very much like in your picture. Certainly did the job - kept things dry and secure. was long enough for skis. My problem with them is that if you take it off the car, it is like an elephant in the garage - impossible to find a good spot to store it.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Weekend Worrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteremsley View Post
we had one very much like in your picture. Certainly did the job - kept things dry and secure. was long enough for skis. My problem with them is that if you take it off the car, it is like an elephant in the garage - impossible to find a good spot to store it.
yeah, I figured that would be an issue. I've got some roof hoist to lift my current racks up to the ceiling. I'd figure Id do the same with it.

What surprises me is that there aren't many for sale used as one would suspect. I'd figure people would want to be clearing them out of the garages for the same reason you mentioned.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/cargo-carrier/car-top-carrier/thule-hyper-xl-_-1680020

WE have this one but all black, and older color or design. Bought about 5 years ago. Drove up to Canada with it with no issue. No noise being a little flat. Carried a bunch of stuff that would otherwise take up valuable space in the back of the van I would buy it again in a heart beat. Its that good.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Bill Stickers is innocent

I was going to say that you won't want it on the car all the time and storing it can be a problem.

I've used a Yakima Skybox on my FJ100 and even with the height of that vehicle, I can pop it on top by myself.

My neighbor ran a couple of small chains through two pieces of PVC pipe and hung them from his garage ceiling, which sort of mimics the cross members on a roof rack. He drives under and can easily attach the cargo box to the pipes and the box is then stored up and out of the way.

Depending on what car you have and your garage ceiling height storage can be as easy as that. If you have a tall vehicle, it might not be as simple.

Check for a used one and see if it fits your lifestyle. There are tons on the used market and they are simple devices that are pretty durable.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Weekend Worrier

^ look171- that's pretty badass. My local craigslist is pretty dry as far as these things go.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Leak, everyone that are in need of these thing know about the slim ones. They are wide and long, so you really don't lose much volume compared to the taller narrower ones you often see on the road. the attachment system is very simple compare to the really old ones. Its a set of prongs that wrap around the roof rack, that's it. Installs in 10 min with someone helping to lift it on the truck. My opens from both sides and it be locked for security. All My soft duffle bags go up there with a ton of space left.

I clamped two pipes on the side of my garage wall. Attach the cargo carrier with their prong attachment system to the 3/4" water pipe. Done in 3 min.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Have two, a Thule and a Yakima, one skinny one square. Not lots of differences between manufacturers. Keep an eye on Craigslist and the like. Not unusual to find them 75% off list. (search roof box or cargo box) Folks do not like to store them.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thule-Motion-XT-Alpine-Cargo-Box/142966079518?hash=item214971401e:g0wAAOSw-MRbuhmC:rk:12f:0

I really don't know their pricing but for 500 bucks, I think its reasonable. This one looks a tad smaller then mine but they hold a lot of stuff up there.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

If you are not in a hurry check out garage sales . I picked up a Sears cargo box a few years ago for $5.00 because it didn't have a key but the box/straps were in perfect shape . The key number is stamped on the locks , type in the key number on the net and you have all kinds of places to purchase the key . For 10.00 total I have a locking cargo box . Like others have stated storage can be a pain , being able to store near the ceiling in a garage or under a raised deck is a good way to go .
Old 10-12-2018, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I got my Yakima off of offerup

new they sell for about $450-500 - I paid $100 for mine and it was in really good shape. Easy to change the two key cores to match my other Yakima equipment. Takes about 10 minutes to install/remove from the car.
SCWDP
South East Region
Old 10-12-2018, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I've seen a couple of older ones in charity shops. Just looked on Craigslist for fun and saw 5-6 companies renting them. Might be a good idea if its going to be in the way for 50 weeks out of the year...
Old 10-12-2018, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Weekend Worrier

I started searching the term "cargo box" on craigslist and came up with some more results. Craigslist is interesting because they are randomly listed under "general" "car parts" "bike and bike parts" and "sporting". I found a yakima skybox 16 for about $100 I am going to look at, but I like the low profile of the one look171 posted better.
We'll see if the cl guy writes back. We are already going through the death throws of (sing it zeppelin style) "craiglist communication breakdown.... it's always the same...."
Old 10-12-2018, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

have a Thule exactly like the one pictured. Works well. Try to keep the nose back from the windshield if roof mounted because there is no weather stripping to seal it in rain and the updraft will push water into the leading edge. Of course mounting it farther back can be an issue with hatch opening. Also, they are designed to be light so heavy stuff needs to be over the supports or alternatively, a custom cut sheet of plywood in the bottom can be placed after it's attached to the vehicle adding sturdiness at some penalty for volume and weight up high on the car which you do really feel in clover leaf situations and some of the sail effect in heavy cross winds.

In the end, it let us bring more crap we may or may not have needed on vacations without driving a bigger car year around...but you already know all that.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Be careful on height if you have an SUV... garage door opening could be an issue.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcar View Post
Be careful on height if you have an SUV... garage door opening could be an issue.
That is a good point. Mine cleared our garage door by a few inches. We used it for skiing mostly. I made sure the thule was long enough to accomodate long skiis. I think the depth was nine inches. It was deep enough to accomodate ski boots.

I forget the make though. You will need the appropriate roof rack to accomodate the "thule". I remember well without the thule on the roof rack it "sang" in the wind at a certain speed. When not in use I put it on hooks and roped it to the garage ceiling. I did that by myself otherwise it is awkward to move . Expensive to buy new. Cheaper to buy used. Easy to sell. Make sure roof rack is compatible with the thule you are buying.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
This thread is timely because I am looking for one to fit skis on the WRX.

I'm considering the SportRack. Costco has these online for $500.
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 10-12-2018, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

I sold Yakima at a bike shop for years and when I finally needed a box because I downsized my suv, I bought a nice one. The $500-700 stings a bit but getting a nice one means it’s easy to put on and off and load. It’s very adjustable without tools so I can quickly top it on any car with racks. I got it at REI since they had every size in stock. We even can use it for the four of us to go skiing, on my wife’s cr-v, since it will hold all our skis, boots, gear, ect. Like most things, you get what you pay for.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
My wife is 5'-3". Will she fit in a Yakima or a Thule?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 10-12-2018, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: