Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
Ford F-150

I think itís my next truck.

Just peeking in on the 2018 - they have a Diesel! WTF? I went in to read about the eco boost.

Itís a great time coming To be shopping for a truck. I think Iíll get a used one tho.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The mini 3.0 powerstroke.
Not sold. Especially the flop of the 6.4, and 6.0 w/o bullet proofing. The early powerstroke 6.7 issues.
I wouldn't buy to be a beta tester.... Many proven engines from the big 3.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
I think itís my next truck.

Just peeking in on the 2018 - they have a Diesel! WTF? I went in to read about the eco boost.

Itís a great time coming To be shopping for a truck. I think Iíll get a used one tho.
My BIL bought a 2017 Eco Boost last year. Loves it so far. Turbo gas engines make me nervous in the long haul, though.

All my business trucks were Fords except the Chevy that came with the deal. They were ridden hard and put away wet by some of the most brutal techs imaginable, but they took it and kept on going.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
3.5 Ecoboost, loving it. Dumped the 4 Runner for it, never looked back.

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
~ Henry Ford
Old 10-11-2018, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Turbocharged, small displacement engines make me nervous over the long run too, but I'm really old school. My old ('03) 7.3L powerstroke is my idea of an engine that should last a long time. I only have 180K on it and am thinking it should last to be the last truck I'll need.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

+930

I have the 5.0 in my 2014 F150. Iím at 100K right now. My 01 F150 with the 5.4 had 220k in the clock when I traded it in for the 14.

No major service needed for either one...knock on wood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans, Marv View Post
Turbocharged, small displacement engines make me nervous over the long run too, but I'm really old school. My old ('03) 7.3L powerstroke is my idea of an engine that should last a long time. I only have 180K on it and am thinking it should last to be the last truck I'll need.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_porschekid View Post
The mini 3.0 powerstroke.
Not sold. Especially the flop of the 6.4, and 6.0 w/o bullet proofing. The early powerstroke 6.7 issues.
I wouldn't buy to be a beta tester.... Many proven engines from the big 3.
Ford more than made up for the 6.0 when they made there own engine, the 6.7. I had 265k on my 2012 (2nd year for the 6.7) when it met an unmovable object last winter.
The only thing that got replaced on the engine or trans was exhaust gaskets out of the turbo under warranty. Still had original fan belt. It's a hell of an engine. The early 2 stage turbos had problems only if you ran a high HP programmer. I never did because it was more than enough power stock. The new 3.0L powerstroke engine has been in use for a while. Its new to the f150 but has been changed for truck duty. I wouldn't bad talk a particular engine or model, there are so many configurations made to fit peoples towing needs. Just figure out what you want/need your truck to do, then do the research to find the best combo for your needs. If you need light to medium towing occasionally, and use the truck for daily driving I think the new 3.0l powerstroke would work because it can hit 30mpg. ECO boost has more towing capacity.
2014 Corvette stingray
7/31/18 single after 27yrs.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

The na v8 in those has a great exhaust note. Wouldnít trust the turbo 6.

Almost bought one but got scared off by the aluminum body. Great looking trucks with all sorts of nice options you can mix and match to get what you want.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Two years on my turbo 2.7. Just oil changes. And no concerns about the aluminium body. We are planning to replace it with a 2018 if they can find us what we are looking for (a Lariat 2.7). The XLT we have now is great, but we would prefer heated seats, and the LED headlights. The halogens on the current truck aren’t great.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
I haven't owned one of the ecoboost trucks but know several people that do and they all love the truck. All of them talk about the fuel mileage being really good and the truck having good power.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by berettafan View Post

Almost bought one but got scared off by the aluminum body. Great looking trucks with all sorts of nice options you can mix and match to get what you want.
What is wrong with Aluminum? It is a marine grade 5052, which is about as corrosion resistant as 316 stainless. My F250 is a 2017 and Aluminum. Biggest complaint is the magnetic stickers no longer hold...

As long as the engine is designed for a turbo, it should be fine. I love the idea of a small displacement diesel for the F150. Better fuel efficiency but higher horsepower.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOO View Post
Two years on my turbo 2.7. Just oil changes. And no concerns about the aluminium body. We are planning to replace it with a 2018 if they can find us what we are looking for (a Lariat 2.7). The XLT we have now is great, but we would prefer heated seats, and the LED headlights. The halogens on the current truck arenít great.
Get one with cooled seats too. You will thank me.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Did you get the memo?

You guys are funny, “wouldn’t trust small displacement turbo engines”. You realize that’s almost every car engine being produced today, right? I have a 2013 3.5 Ecoboost that replaced a 2012 5.0, except for the V8 sound the Ecoboost is superior in every way. It basically drives and tows like a diesel. I’m at 85k, the only issue has been the electric fan going out this summer. Otherwise it is a great truck.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

$50k+ price of entry for a 4 door diesel? Dang! Not sure you even get a radio with that...
Old 10-12-2018, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
hahah..yea, a stereo would be needed to drown out my sobbing from the big hole in the bank account.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
You guys are funny, ďwouldnít trust small displacement turbo enginesĒ. You realize thatís almost every car engine being produced today, right? I have a 2013 3.5 Ecoboost that replaced a 2012 5.0, except for the V8 sound the Ecoboost is superior in every way. It basically drives and tows like a diesel. Iím at 85k, the only issue has been the electric fan going out this summer. Otherwise it is a great truck.
my contractors are driving them now. there is no more difficult life for a truck that moving a heavy construction contractor to/fro. they love them, but they cant comment on the mpg, since they are always moving a heavy load.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berettafan View Post

A bit confused here. What scares you about aluminum? Many manufactures have been using aluminum panels for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2018, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
I guess I'm old school, but a truck needs a V8.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 10-12-2018, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerkPerk View Post
A bit confused here. What scares you about aluminum? Many manufactures have been using aluminum panels for years.

lots of comments about wavy body panels, Ford's history of flaking paint on Al panels and seeing what happens to Al once even a tiny point starts oxidizing.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

AL oxidation does seem to be more dramatic that steel and rust. Also there is a premium at the body shop for aluminum repair.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: