Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Winter storage?

Wondering what people do for winter storage? I have an attached garage, but not heated.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Put sta-bil in the tank. Put it on a battery tender. Put the cover on.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 10-12-2018, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

A car I assume? Pump up the tires to around 40 - 45 psi. Put some plastic down on the concrete to keep dampness down. Cut 4 pieces of 1 Ft square plywood and drive up on them. Cloves, mothballs, and or bounce sheets to keep the critters away.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Uh, drive it? Don't be that dude...there are plenty of winter weekends in Detroit when the roads are not iced over.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 10-12-2018, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
durn for'ner

Heated garage. Although I start wondering why I bother at all and not selling it. So far this year I have driven a total of 25 miles..

Carrera '85
Old 10-12-2018, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
Wondering what people do for winter storage? I have an attached garage, but not heated.
For the drivable cars I put about half a tank of non ethanal fuel in them, add Sta-Bil, and put a good battery tender on them and cover them. We usually have opportunities to drive them until the late December- early March period, so get them out for exercise as often as possible. For the non drivable cars I clean them up (see the Car Wash and Rodent Rodeo thread) put 40 psi of air in the tires, put a cover on them, and put them in a car bag. Throw a bag of desiccant in the car and suck most of the air out of the bag with a vacuum cleaner. Seal it up and throw a furniture moving pad on it.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by livi View Post
Heated garage. Although I start wondering why I bother at all and not selling it. So far this year I have driven a total of 25 miles..
I can relate Markus . Why....I dunno???
Old 10-13-2018, 02:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
I fill the tank with Premium(this year I'm going non ethanol 93 octane), add stabil, drive it around to get the stabil fuel mixture throughout the system, air up tires, put car on dollies so I can roll it around in the shop if needed. I haven't used a battery tender but think it's a good idea.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Around here, winter is the time to drive the cars...with the top down...
Old 10-13-2018, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I take my fun car out for a drive twice a week in winter. This way the battery is charged up but supplement that with a battery charger once in a while. Plus it is fun to get the back end to break away.

Yes Livi that is low miles usage . I drive my Miata about 3 thousand miles a year.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
The 911 I just unhook the battery. I start it every month or less to keep the juices fresh. It has a wood floor so dont have to worry about the moisture. In my other cars on a concrete floor they get moldy inside so i use a damp-rid bucket works great. They also get started occasionally. My 914 gets started only 4 or 5 times a year and it sill runs fine on its 5 year old gas. Actually I have added some a few times because there isnt much in the tank.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Uh, drive it? Don't be that dude...there are plenty of winter weekends in Detroit when the roads are not iced over.
Around here, once the snow and ice starts, the roads are white with salt dust.
Following a truck is like being in a white dust-storm.
If it weren't for the salt, I would drive mine year-round.

My garage is heated, but I keep a dehumidifier running...esp in the thawing months.
If not, everything is wet from humidity. Otherwise, that's all I do..park them and restart in the spring..never had a problem.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Misunderstood User

Garage
what black and geronimo said - I pretty much do the same.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 10-13-2018, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Cool, most of this is what I figured but thought I would ask incase some new or neat ideas pop up to keep my car neat and tidy for years to come....

Winter driving in Detroit is a No No, salt is the devil and it is think around here.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
Cool, most of this is what I figured but thought I would ask incase some new or neat ideas pop up to keep my car neat and tidy for years to come....

Winter driving in Detroit is a No No, salt is the devil and it is think around here.
Same in Chicago -

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 10-13-2018, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
unindicted co-conspirator

What is this “winter” that you speak of?
Coldest I’ve seen here if a thin layer of ice on the dog water bowl
Old 10-13-2018, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I park the 69 here: Door on the left. Heated, rent free.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej37 View Post
Around here, once the snow and ice starts, the roads are white with salt dust.
Following a truck is like being in a white dust-storm.
If it weren't for the salt, I would drive mine year-round.
It rains year around where I live.
Roads can be salty white for a stretch, but always get washed away from winter rain.

Last edited by sugarwood; 10-14-2018 at 06:10 AM..
Old 10-14-2018, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

One thing I didnít see mentioned was if you park your car or any vehicle long term, you will want to have a full tank of fuel to prevent the possibility of condensation in the tank. You definitely want to keep the moisture out. Also do not put a battery tender on a disconnected battery. Do one or the other, tender or disconnect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2018, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Regenerated User

Garage
Send them down to me and I'll drive them for you all winter long, no charge.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: