Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
least common denominator

Recommendations for WIFI camera security system

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean everyone is not out to get me!

Finally got high speed internet at the house and now being tempted with wireless gadgets.

Never bothered with a home security system but now that my hood is becoming gentrified neighbors have begun festooning their houses with cameras and encouraging everyone to follow.

Shopping Amazon in order of price and complexity:

Ring - Nothing more than a doorbell button with a camera built into it.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00N2ZDXW2/?coliid=I34BCAJ03I1I62&colid=1PBE2E06CZA8T&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Blink - Up to five cameras (I don't see us needing more that two or three, maybe one watching the front porch and one on the walkway towards the street)
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XZWHBJ4/ref=fs_ods_vicc_BlinkXT

ARLO - Same as Blink but looks a little more robust but also more expensive.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B075P8HCT5/?coliid=I2Q9RJN058Y5G4&colid=1PBE2E06CZA8T&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Any of you guys/gals using anything like this?
Old 10-30-2018, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
After my mom's place was broken into last year (she uses the Nest system) I picked up a few Wyze Cams for around our place. For $20 / $30 they're a bargain (search Amazon for some outdoor covers) and a good way to figure out what you may need without breaking the bank.

https://www.wyzecam.com

Only downside is that there is no web-based interface (yet) but since I primarily use it for motion alerts when I'm not home it's not a big deal for me.

-Chris
Old 10-30-2018, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Am using Blink. Happy with it. Get about 1 year life from AA batteries unless the camera is triggered a lot. Not HD, you won't be able to read license plates unless conditions perfect. Distance from camera to controller can't be too much - gets tricky after about 50 feet depending on what's in the way.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
Am using Blink. Happy with it. Get about 1 year life from AA batteries unless the camera is triggered a lot. Not HD, you won't be able to read license plates unless conditions perfect. Distance from camera to controller can't be too much - gets tricky after about 50 feet depending on what's in the way.
The front door is no problem but the walkway up to the house I want to monitor is a good 75 feet away. Do the cameras have to be triggered to view or can you view them live?

This is one problem, the camera won't trigger as far out as the front house walkway and the WIFI probably doesn't reach the front house either.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
You can view live. Or arm cameras and when camera is triggered, it will record a short clip w/ audio and alert you/show you video. Can set cameras to arm/disarm on a schedule.

It is triggered by motion, so have to aim camera to not be triggered by every random passerby.

75 feet may, probably will, be a problem. Maybe if conditions perfect it could work but if controller inside and camera outside, that might be imperfect enough to not work. I have exterior cameras watching all entrance doors, one watching driveway and one in garage. I also have interior cameras watching entrances and hallway. The exterior cameras are scheduled to arm at night, when I'm traveling I arm them on 24/7. The interior cameras are not armed unless I'm traveling. Two systems (interior and exterior) needs two controllers, but both systems show in the same app.

The white cameras are for indoor, the gray ones are outdoor (waterproof and night vision). I use the white cameras outdoor, just under shelter like an eave. They don't seem to like rechargeable AAs but neither do lots of devices.

Basically I like these a lot for the price and convenience (fully wireless). In the 2 years since I got them, I think some more cheapo cameras have shown up.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
I went with this.

https://www.amazon.com/CORSEE-Security-Cameras-System-Wireless/dp/B01CNBH2C2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1540928831&sr=8-3&keywords=corsee+wireless+security+camera

Comes with 4 cameras but extends to 8. My system has 5.

Add your own HD.

Also added one of these for the farthest camera.

https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Repeater-Broadband-Amplifiers-Wireless/dp/B01B94U438/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1540928958&sr=8-4&keywords=wifi+amp

You will need power for the cameras so that may impact location.

Interface keeps improving.

Mobile app works really well.

After the novelty wears off you'll not use it often.

System can be set to block out areas of the cameras view which is useful if you have trees or something that will move in the breeze and trigger motion.

My motion is all off as I found shadows moving across the ground throughout the day could trigger.

The constant alerts were driving me crazy.

Last edited by stomachmonkey; 10-30-2018 at 12:54 PM..
Old 10-30-2018, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

We use the Nest camera's, and we use the Nest thermostats, so we have mobile phone access to monitor our home and monitor/control heating/cooling from anywhere we have internet or cell coverage.

The camera's we consider most important have 20 days(?) of continuous video storage. We also get motion detection alerts to our cell phones. Those cameras run $5/mo each. The less important cameras show live video, but no storage for $0/mo. The last event seen be those camera's is latched in the camera history, with cell phone alert.

I've found these useful enough that I've poked 110VAC through 2nd floor walls to allow elevated & tamper resistant camera views.

These cameras have come in very handy to keep an eye on our home and alerted us to a number of things happening around our house that we would not have known; deliveries, neighbors, wild animals, neighbors pets, law enforcement on the street, weather, etc.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I started with a semi pro Lorex system, hardwired cameras + wifi, my own box and a separate monitor for it.. it worked well but was a PITA to setup if not tecchie - particularly the forwarding of events to your phone etc... Might have improved by now...

I then went the opposite route at the next home and Wifi/netgear straight to the phone... Those things would have good outbound connection to warn me something was at the door, but when I looked, 50% of the time the connection failed inbound... Very frustrating.. Also there's nto a day of the week one of the 5 cameras doesn't need a reboot...

In the end next go around I'll try the Nest cams. If they built it like their thermostat, they stand a small chance of being better and simpler... Ring has good reviews with my friends/colleagues... Arlo too but $$$$...
Old 10-30-2018, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Detached Member

I have ring doorbell and two battery/solar spot light cams, all are recording for $100/year. All on my iphone.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
We have nest and really like it.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deschodt View Post
Ring has good reviews with my friends/colleagues... Arlo too but $$$$...
Ring has add on camera's too but kinda pricey.

the Amazon system stomachmonkey posted looks like a good balance between price and performance, a little more work to setup but nothing I can't handle.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
We use a Nest cam.
We have a lot of neighborhood package thieves these days, so we see a lot of video clips posted on NextDoor.

#1 suggestion i have is to make sure the camera has a straight-on view of people approaching. Many people have their camera located way up in a corner of a porch so you can barely make out the thief due to both distance (resolution) and angle (faces typically obscured by hats or hoods).
#2 suggestion is make sure the area is well lit as the person approaches, as some cameras react slowly to changes in light levels.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc View Post

#1 suggestion i have is to make sure the camera has a straight-on view of people approaching.
This is an advantage to the Ring, camera is right in the doorbell.

We are also worried about package poachers, we have not had a problem yet but a lot of locals reporting packages disappearing.

Last edited by scottmandue; 10-30-2018 at 05:06 PM..
Old 10-30-2018, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

We have Blink. It was cheap, really easy to set up and meets our needs. We have only one camera on the front of the house. I'm thinking about adding more. The wife didn't think we needed it but now likes it.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Another Blink user. Itís been good, but Iíve had to adjust the exterior cameras to get better views. They were too far out to see details. The scheduled on/off works well, as does the microphone. I can hear the deer walking on the sidewalk.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
I went with the Arlo system.. Love it... You can adjust the settings on each camera to trigger other ones, etc. Great system.. It pings my phone when a trigger goes off... Had no idea how many people come and go in my driveway every week.. Well, I guess I knew they came, but now i can see them.. lol.. (mail, trash, deliveries, etc..)
Old 10-30-2018, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I agree with the arlo. Its quality is good, the recording, the two way audio plus we can access it through a mobile phone. I think they have good deals now for cyber monday, i hope this can help though. But one thing we noticed with our arlo is that the batteries are now slowly draining. We used to charge it every 4months. Now it's 5weeks max.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to petrolhead611
I use the Guardzilla products Cheap and easy to set up
Old 11-26-2018, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

i put the NEST in the wifes shop and I put one in a friends salon.
she just fired a girl because she heard her talking bad about her to a CUSTOMER!!

don't know what else is out there or how good or bad the video/audio quality is but happy with nest.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 11-26-2018, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: