Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

This Brabham wing (looks like 1983 BT52) has been sitting in a local pub among the stick & ball sports stuff for 20 years. I asked the owner one time if he would sell it but he declined. When I was at the 1979 USGP the teams were selling off everything (although not sure about complete cars) so they didn't have to ship the stuff back to Europe. Didn't have a spare dime to my name, just gas money to get home

Last edited by CurtEgerer; 11-01-2018 at 08:24 AM..
Old 11-01-2018, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins View Post
I well remember back in the '70's when I was a teenager, and later into the '80's and '90's, cars like these were a dime a dozen. There were classified ads in the back of magazines like Road and Track, Car and Driver, etc. that featured categories for old race cars. That's all these were back then - used up, several year old, useless for anything else race cars. Literally as little as a few thousand dollars would buy a car like these. Just what on earth one would have done with a car like this back then was, of course, another matter entirely. That's why they were so damn cheap. Our modern perspective on things like this is colored by the outrageous values things like these command today. It wasn't always like this, at least for used up race cars.
I remember clearly a ad in the back of 'Auto week' for a 962 with spares including a engine ready to race for $50,000 in 1987.
And the F1 cars were nothing. When the rules changed outlawing turbo's I saw a TAG engine for $1,000.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
They be cool in an amusement park.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 11-01-2018, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
They're not really "replicas" in the sense that a beck spyder is a replica.

Those F1s are just nonfunctional shells. You can see there is, for example, no functional suspension at all. There's no chassis capable of carrying a drivetrain. There's no brakes, no electrical, nothing.

I'm sure someone would pay something, but it's a limited market. They take up a lot of space.
I could not discern that much info just from the pictures, do you know if there is an article out there with all the details I could check out?
Old 11-01-2018, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
least common denominator

As others have said, sure they were million dollar cars back in the day but what use/good are they today? Maybe in some vintage racing but I presume a lot of the parts are one offs and unless you know a really good machine shop very difficult to keep one of these running.

All conjecture on my part because my knowledge of maintaining a vintage F1 car would fill a thimble.

They would make a very cool lawn ornament!
Old 11-01-2018, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficke View Post
I remember clearly a ad in the back of 'Auto week' for a 962 with spares including a engine ready to race for $50,000 in 1987.
And the F1 cars were nothing. When the rules changed outlawing turbo's I saw a TAG engine for $1,000.
I bought a TAG-Porsche engine block for around $300 back then and made a coffee table out of it. The block had won a few races. Sold it a few years back.

This is some info I had at the time: "Out of 56 TAG Turbo engines produced, McLaren retained 12 engines for their museum cars. Three engines are in the hands of private individuals, 19 were decommissioned during the course of 4 seasons. They sold 22 in full race trim, the remainder were painted white and sold to art collectors for $50,000 each. " Not so sure about that last part - I've never seen one.

Last edited by CurtEgerer; 11-01-2018 at 11:16 AM..
Old 11-01-2018, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: