Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Slowly building my man cave shop with lift.

It was recommended that I start a new man cave thread, so I am copy/pasting my post from the other thread.

"Slowly working on my man cave as well. Earlier this year, I bought a backhoe (needed one anyway around the farm), and ran a 3' deep trench about 100' long, from the power pole out in front of the house, across the driveway, and around to the South side of the house for my new 400 amp service box using 3" electrical conduit.

I then dug another 3' deep trench about 150' long to my smaller older barn (40x60) to run 200 amp service out for my new shop that I am building. I will have a 20x20 walled in, and insulated clean shop inside of the barn, and then am in the process of standing up my 2 post lift. I just got a Quincy 60 gallon 5HP air compressor that will supply the whole barn with air.

I am taking small baby steps as time, and money allows, but can appreciate the monumental effort that you undertook on your build....nicely done."
Old 11-01-2018, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
great, looking forward to following your build

so will you have a rustic barn look on the outside with a super neat man cave built inside?
1994 Toyota 4Runner Gen 2
Old 11-01-2018, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I plan on having an enclosed 20'x20' room inside of my 40x60 pole barn that was built over the site of a previous 100 year old wooden barn with native hard wood horse stalls, and a 40' wide hay loft across one end. Up until late Summer, we had 450 bales of alfalfa hay in the loft, and on the floor of the barn, but we now have moved all hay into a 40' conex, shipping container that we placed next to our new 104'x60 horse barn for much more convenience. This also keeps us from getting the tractor out in the middle of a crappy weather Winter, to bring 1.5 bales of hay per day 200 feet from the old barn.

I have already cut out the thin (3"-4" thick) 100 year old, cracked concrete, and mixed many bags of the HD 5000 concrete, and poured into the 4'x7' holes about 12" deep with re-bar securing it all. This is in preparation for the 7000# 2 post lift, and it's extended support brackets. I already have the mounting holes marked on the concrete, and will rent a hammer drill, and bit soon to cut holes, for the mounting bolts.

The electrician was out, and ran two 220 plugs for my welder, and my new Quincy air compressor. We are also having (her) mount the 6 new LED, 6 bulb 4' long light fixtures near the rafters that are 14' off of the floor. I'm having her mount the two fixtures above where the shop will be on an excess 10' of wiring so at a later date, I can lower them down to be part of the future 8' ceiling of my enclosed shop.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr View Post
great, looking forward to following your build

so will you have a rustic barn look on the outside with a super neat man cave built inside?
Both of our barns have white metal siding, so no rustic look. They do look good on the property....I will try to get pictures of the property, and progress as I go.

This build will most likely take a few years to get right, and to be able to pay cash for everything, but I plan on having it finished, and operational long before I retire (hopefully in 8 years).
Old 11-01-2018, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Right now, I have the 300' of electrical trench all leveled out, and seeded with grass, hoping it will grow before Winter hits, and becomes a big mud hole.

My current shop is walled off 20'x8', up in the front of my 2 car narrow garage, and isn't conducive to working on vehicles, or motorcycle, or garden tractors, because the only access is through a standard 36" entry door. It is connected to the house, so any fuel spill, or loud grinding/welding has to be done with great care, and consideration for others in the house.

I have a full sized refrigerator, and a chest freezer in the shop, with 2 entry doors, so space is at a premium.

Last edited by ckelly78z; 11-01-2018 at 02:00 PM..
Old 11-01-2018, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

This incessant rain will have to stop before i'm willing to walk the 200' to the barn, and get any meaningful work done. Maybe on Saturday, I can drill holes on the re-inforced concrete for mounting the lift. I'm looking at the Auto lift Wedge anchor bolts to use, and will need 12 of them. Any one done this, and then torqued them down.....how much torque, I saw something about 150# ?

Last edited by ckelly78z; 11-01-2018 at 05:19 PM..
Old 11-01-2018, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Brew Master

Garage
You might have go buy a Kayak to make it to the building! Post some pics on the two post install. I'm planning to buy one yet this year.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Bah Humbug...still raining this morning. Wed night, I dumped 3.5" out of the rain gauge from the previous week. I would bet that it is nearly at that point again after 1 day.

I will have to rent the hammer drill tommorow morning, and be able to keep until Monday morning, but only get cahrged for 1 day. Supposed to be sunny, and warmer on Saturday/Sunday.

I will take pics, and "TRY" to post them.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
What size hole are you drilling? I have a Dewalt hammer drill with a standard 1/2" chuck that I'd loan you if it helps get you started sooner.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
This incessant rain will have to stop before i'm willing to walk the 200' to the barn, and get any meaningful work done. Maybe on Saturday, I can drill holes on the re-inforced concrete for mounting the lift. I'm looking at the Auto lift Wedge anchor bolts to use, and will need 12 of them. Any one done this, and then torqued them down.....how much torque, I saw something about 150# ?
Yes I used the same style of wedge bolts on my 2 post lift , mine is branded Ammco but it was built by Challenger . A good hammer drill/bit is priceless for drilling the holes . Mine were 3/4 " in diameter and I drilled 9 " deep even though the bolts are not that long . And per the Challenger install instructions the anchor bolts are to be tightened to 150 ft. lbs. !!! I had to put a cheater pipe over my torque wrench to have enough leverage to get them to 150 but they are nice and tight . Good luck with your install and be safe , those upright posts have some weight to them !
Old 11-02-2018, 02:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
So, will you be building a "cave" by excavating out your space, building, then filling back in over it?
Old 11-02-2018, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I would suggest chemical anchors. Wedges are 'okay', but they do loosen over time. Chemical anchors do not come loose over time.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990C4S View Post
I would suggest chemical anchors. Wedges are 'okay', but they do loosen over time. Chemical anchors do not come loose over time.
Good point but it is recommended to check the bolts/tightness every once in a while as routine maintenance . I would think twice a year would be sufficient .
Old 11-02-2018, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

( I remember this meme from when I first started pelicaning )

Cool !. I am really hoping to start on mine this coming spring. I'm trying to clear my slate of all other projects and concentrate on putting up my building .
Keep us posted . Looking forward to seeing your progress
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools

Last edited by fastfredracing; 11-02-2018 at 04:42 AM..
Old 11-02-2018, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabmando View Post
What size hole are you drilling? I have a Dewalt hammer drill with a standard 1/2" chuck that I'd loan you if it helps get you started sooner.
I think i'll be going with 3/4" holes at least 6" deep. I will probably just rent a hammer drill, and bit locally....it's fairly cheap, and close, and should something happen to the drill, it's covered. Thanks.

I have no problem snugging up the bolts every 6 months or so. These lift posts have a solid steel sub frame that is about 3 feet long (about 75# each), that I will drill 6 holes each for. The center 4 holes are what most people use to mount the lifts

Last edited by ckelly78z; 11-02-2018 at 07:03 AM..
Old 11-02-2018, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfredracing View Post

Pictures will be coming hopefully tommorow when I have time, and it is supposed to be sunny. I can't download at work now.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
FBHO & FHRC

So I take it you got the pole building done? I finished my open lean to, but now just ordered metal and trim to enclose the 56' long side.... Started project sweating... will finish in the cold. lol

Men do not quit playing because they get old.... They get old because they quit playing.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hancock View Post
So I take it you got the pole building done? I finished my open lean to, but now just ordered metal and trim to enclose the 56' long side.... Started project sweating... will finish in the cold. lol
We put up a huge 104'x60 pole barn for housing the horses, and an indoor riding arena abour 5 years ago. The 40 year old 40x60 barn I am using to put the shop in, used to have all of the hay, and stalls, with a little bit of room left for a tractor, and some dirt bikes.

Most of the hay was put in a shipping container (conex), next to the horse barn which is 5' away, rather than 200' away....so much better for my wife.

The older barn has a lean to that I store about 5-6 cords of split firewood to keep our house warm. I would like to build another lean to on the other end of the barn for camper storage, but not a priority this year.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
FBHO & FHRC

I guess I assumed when you posted a while back in another thread something about putting metal up, it was for a new pole barn. I can't remember... are you down by Findlay?

Men do not quit playing because they get old.... They get old because they quit playing.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfredracing View Post

Cool !. I am really hoping to start on mine this coming spring. I'm trying to clear my slate of all other projects and concentrate on putting up my building .
Keep us posted . Looking forward to seeing your progress
Really!

CKelly, are you on dial up or something? We need "pichers"!
Old 11-02-2018, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: