Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Buying my first long spoon

Hey guys, I recently picked up a concealed carry license in my home state of CT. I purchased a hand spoon (HK P30L 9MM) and I'm having fun shooting it. I'd like to eventually purchase a rifle to keep for general plinking, if SHTF, or if I ever need to hunt. I'd like to keep this rifle for a long period of time. Without venturing into PARF, I do think CT is going to become even more strict on guns based on our state election results. We already have some of the strictest rules in place.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0241.htm

It bans a lot of the cool "common rifles" and any magazine over 10 rounds. I've noticed three guns absent from this list that I am considering. The M1 garand, M1A and the Mini 14. I'm in my mid twenties and I'd like something that I can keep for a long period of time if I stay in this state. I'm leaning more towards the M1 garand because it doesn't have a removable magazine so it is probably the least likely to be banned. I've shot one and I thought it was a lot of fun. It seems like the CMP has a great deal on surplus ones but is this the type of rifle that I can plink with or will it constantly require attention every 1k rounds? It also seems like the 30-06 surplus ammo is drying up for it. I appreciate any insight that you guys can give me, thanks.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
The Standard Springfield M1A is a solid choice.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Are you stuck on a semi-auto, or would you consider something else? If you are worried about long-term viability in CT, one would think a semi-auto would be on the bottom of the list.

Beyond the action type, I would strongly suggest getting a good quality .22 so start. There is no shortage of quality .22 bolt action, lever action, and yes, semi-auto rifles. Many of the semi-auto .22's do not feed from a detachable magazine, so their long-term viability may be more secure than a centerfire with a detachable magazine.

There is no reason you only get to have one rifle. Learn to shoot and have some fun with a .22, then start thinking about a centerfire.
"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 11-16-2018, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
You might consider a lever gun in the same caliber as your handgun. The least likely spoons to be banned are revolvers, lever guns and bolt actions.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins View Post
Are you stuck on a semi-auto, or would you consider something else? If you are worried about long-term viability in CT, one would think a semi-auto would be on the bottom of the list.

Beyond the action type, I would strongly suggest getting a good quality .22 so start. There is no shortage of quality .22 bolt action, lever action, and yes, semi-auto rifles. Many of the semi-auto .22's do not feed from a detachable magazine, so their long-term viability may be more secure than a centerfire with a detachable magazine.

There is no reason you only get to have one rifle. Learn to shoot and have some fun with a .22, then start thinking about a centerfire.
Good advice. Centerfire? Frankly, if you plan on future hunting, I consider the .223 round to be too lightweight. Depending on the game, 6mm a minimum...best all around, .270 or .30 caliber.

Oh, I have a mini 14 for fun...but for deer, I used a 1950's Remington 721 in .257 Roberts, for elk a Ruger 77 in 7mm Rem. Mag caliber. Nothing fancy, just good working rifles topped with good scopes.

Haven't hunted in years, but either rifle would function as well now as it did back then.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
One of the nice things about the M1A is the .308 round is also a very good hunting round. Getting an M1, the 30-06 round is also a very good hunting round.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

A very accurate bolt action rifle is a very satisfying gun to own. You very quickly get over the bang bang bang of a semi auto and lust after accuracy. Something nice like a Sako that is accurate right outa the box without frigging about changing triggers etc.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
One of the nice things about the M1A is the .308 round is also a very good hunting round. Getting an M1, the 30-06 round is also a very good hunting round.
Fantastic hunting rounds for sure. Pretty terrible hunting rifles, though. I love my M1A Scout Squad, but even with a flush fitting five round "hunting" magazine, the thing is very clumsy to carry as a hunting rifle. Bulky, heavy, and ill balanced.
"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 11-16-2018, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

Ruger 10/22 for a first rifle..cheap to buy, cheap to shoot 22 ammo. Tons of them around used. Made for around 60 years now.

Ohh easy on the shoulder.

Garand or m1A...good choices..lots of history..garands are C&R..over 50 years old.

Also military surplus bolt actions are good also. The Swedish 6.5 mm Mauser is a real keeper. Super accurate and flat shooting. Mostly they are very good to excellent condition at matching numbers. Still relativily cheap.

The Finnish Mosin m39...Sako or Valmet barrels mostly, wth Finn made sights considered the best Mosin. Uses Russian 7.62 x 54R ammo. This are appreciating as we speak. You can get them freshly refurbished by the Finn arsenal..if you look around

Swiss K31. Straight pull. Most are in excellent condition and super accurate..these still are reasonable but are appreciating. 7.55 x 55

Enfield 303 Brit...the no4 mk2 can still be found in New or near new condition..these are the last of the production from the mid 50s and were put into war storage..still can be found in the cosmoline and paper wrap..these are appreciating

1903 a3..or 03 Remington..venerable us springfield a companion to the Garand. Accurate and still reasonable can be found in excellent original condition if you look. The earlier 03s have mostly been arsenal rebuilt before during and after ww2.
It took me some years to find the right interwar years 03 and when I did I scored a DCM NM.

Mauser 98...gew and 98a Kar from ww1, or the ww2 98k..mixed bag as far as condition and matching numbers. The rare ones are pricey.lots of history is an understatement. 8mm

The Mauser 1909 Argentine in 7mm? You can find these in near new if you look hard enough. There are a whole series of Mauser bolt actions made under contract for various nations..in varying condition and rarity..a veritable whole field of collecting on to itself.

Last edited by tabs; 11-16-2018 at 08:33 PM..
Old 11-16-2018, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I'm with Tabs on the 10/22, also the Mini 14 is a great choice. 6.5 Swede is my favorite Mauser, for 22LR I'd also look for a Winchester 1906 pump "gallery gun".

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson
Old 11-16-2018, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I agree with Jeff about carrying the M1A hunting. I’ve done it and moved on, a simple bolt action is a much better choice most of the time. My Savage Weather Warrior with a stainless barrel and polymer stock has served me well for years.

I took an elk at 400 yards and a mule deer at just under 300 yards with it this year.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
Fantastic hunting rounds for sure. Pretty terrible hunting rifles, though. I love my M1A Scout Squad, but even with a flush fitting five round "hunting" magazine, the thing is very clumsy to carry as a hunting rifle. Bulky, heavy, and ill balanced.
I figure he'd get a bolt gun in addition to the semi-auto, non scary looking, but much more deadly than an "assault weapon ", rifle.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
canna change law physics

Garage
Quote:
And this brings up a good point. I prefer the AR-10, as it has the handiness of an AR-15 with a battle rifle cartridge. Imagine if it had been chosen instead of the M14...

Last edited by red-beard; 11-18-2018 at 04:47 AM..
Old 11-17-2018, 02:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Get one of everything .

I don't need to reach out more than 150 yds.
My Marlin lever (.357/38) could be fed when .22 was unobtanium...and it ain't skeerdy looking either....
Old 11-17-2018, 02:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Thanks for this thread....reminded me to grab the Marlin on my way out....gotta date with a 'yote...I hope, eventually. It'll likely be a 125 yd shot....over one of my ponds...he's mine if he shows up again. .357 hp....
Old 11-17-2018, 03:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

If you can go to a local gun show , it's a great chance to see a LOT of new and used guns . Some very knowledgeable folks will be there to ask questions of . You get to hold/feel a variety of guns . And usually there is a decent variety of used guns that can save you some coin . I picked up a 7.65 Mauser bolt action and a Remington 30-06 semi auto for next to nothing a few years ago while everyone else was salivating over the Rambo style rifles .

Picking up a .22 rifle is a no brainer , light weight , no recoil and cheap to shoot and hone your skills . And as others have stated a good center fire bolt action rifle is tough to beat . The bolt action is nearly bulletproof ( ) with very little maintenance needed to last for decades . You may want to see if there are any local shooting ranges for rifles/shotguns and go visit . Another chance to talk to smart guys and actually shoot different rifles it is a great way to narrow down what you like vs. not like .

And finally regardless of what you end up with be responsible and proficient it is the only way to be a good gun owner . Always think safety . Have fun
Old 11-17-2018, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
..it is a great way to narrow down what you like vs. not like .

And finally regardless of what you end up with be responsible and proficient it is the only way to be a good gun owner . Always think safety . Have fun
This guy will save ya $....listen

We like 'em all btw
Old 11-17-2018, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
And this brings up a good point. I prefer the AR-10, as it has the hardiness of an AR-15 with a battle rifle cartridge. Imagine if it had been chosen instead of the M14...
Considering it still "pukes where it eats" with DI gas system, and that the T48/FAL beat the M14 during the trials, I'd still want the FAL over an AR type for a battle rifle. And over 90 countries agreed.

That said, I bought 3 ARs last year (2x 5.56 and 1x 9mm) and am considering selling my FAL G1 kit build and 22 conversion for it and getting an accurate 308 bolt gun.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

Trying to find an original Garand that has not been aresnal overhauled is real tough. Nearly all of them have been refurbished. The very high serial numbered ones built in the mid 50s are the most likely to still be original.

I eventually found one that was in the 6m sn range that appears to be unmolested. Also the 5.5m up sn range up generally have better fit and finish as the arsenal built them a few at a time vs war time mass production.

The interwar year 03s also show a better fit and finish because relativily fewer were made. Also if you want a tack driver 22 the springfield mdl1922 and later updates is a great choice.They are still fairly reasonable.

I will dare anyone on this Board to come up with a Springfield arsenal built 03 or mdl1922 in 22 Hornet. Both Sedgley and Griffin Howe converted and or built fine customs in the Hornet in the 30s. Those are tough enough to find but the arsenal built Hornet is virtually made of unobtainium* I would estimate around 12 being built in the early to mid 30s.They were a keep busy project by the officers who were in charge of the Springfield arsenal.

* I have seen 2 come up for auction in 22 years. I knew the previous owners of both rifles.

Last edited by tabs; 11-17-2018 at 05:03 AM..
Old 11-17-2018, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabs View Post
Trying to find an original Garand that has not been aresnal overhauled is real tough. Nearly all of them have been refurbished. The very high serial numbered ones built in the mid 50s are the most likely to still be original.

I eventually found one that was in the 6m sn range that appears to be unmolested. Also the 5.5m up sn range up generally have better fit and finish as the arsenal built them a few at a time vs war time mass production.

The interwar year 03s also show a better fit and finish because relativily fewer were made. Also if you want a tack driver 22 the springfield mdl1922 and later updates is a great choice.They are still fairly reasonable.

I will dare anyone on this Board to come up with a Springfield arsenal built 03 or mdl1922 in 22 Hornet. Both Sedgley and Griffin Howe converted and or built fine customs in the Hornet in the 30s. Those are tough enough to find but the arsenal built Hornet is virtually made of unobtainium* I would estimate around 12 being built in the early to mid 30s.They were a keep busy project by the officers who were in charge of the Springfield arsenal.

* I have seen 2 come up for auction in 22 years. I knew the previous owners of both rifles.

Think for most of us the real question is "Does a $4k collector Garand shoot any better than a $900 parts mixmaster built wtih in-spec parts and a decent barrel"
Old 11-17-2018, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: