Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
Tell you what, Bugs, I have a 20ga 870 Express we haven't shot in 10 years.

Nice little shotgun, great, I think, for your needs. I bought it from a friend of mine for my son 20 years ago.

Two barrels, one for shot, one for slugs.

You pay shipping and it is yours...KC got me in the spirit!
Wow...thatís a very generous offer. But, Iím clearly on the fence. My inner anger of my sanctuary being violated is still boiling. Itís not so much the truck taken as it is the zombie coming down my road and touring my place. If he hadnít taken my truck I probably never would have known someone was snooping around. Motion sensor lights went up yesterday and locks ( never had them) installed last week. My wife wants a Gate at the top of the driveway and I may get another dog. One that is a little bigger and more intimidating then my border collie. Thanks again Seahawk for the generous offer but Iím going to clear my anger before I commit to a weapon.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsinrugs View Post
Thanks again Seahawk for the generous offer but Iím going to clear my anger before I commit to a weapon.
Right thing to do.

It will be available should you decide you want it.

Best!
Old 11-18-2018, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
IMO you'd be better served buying a good surveillance system with a driveway alarm that lets you know when someone enters/leaves. If you're not willing to use the weapon to stop someone, you might get yourself shot firing a "warning shot".

Last edited by cabmando; 11-18-2018 at 11:25 AM..
Old 11-18-2018, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

I have firearms for self defense, but I would never shoot someone outside of my home unless they were directly threatening me. Killing someone leaving your property, even if they're driving your truck, is bad legal juju.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

CA has turned on the WELCOME sign to criminals.

CITIZEN TABS

WWW.RADIOTABS.COM
Old 11-18-2018, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Double Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
Guns are inanimate objects, you really need to understand the import of brandishing a weapon before you decide to buy the inanimate object for any purpose.

There is a world of difference between owning a gun and deciding to use one in anger. Be smart, it isnít what you think. Trust me.
words of wisdom here......

75 914 1.8
07 Dodge Caravan
Old 11-18-2018, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Nice guy eddie

Garage
Don't want to beat a dead horse because you seem like a nice guy but as others have said, start locking your car and taking the keys. Big city, middle of nowhere, everywhere...

You need to make it a habit. If I fill my tank at a station w people all over the place and need to walk inside to pay or use the restroom, "click-beep", I lock my car. If I'm not physically with it, for 30 seconds, I lock the ****ing thing. How long do you think it takes someone to open the door and grab my backpack? They could do it 15 different times in 30 seconds. Why would you not do it? Too much trouble? Like living dangerously?

As for guns, they are great to own if you are sane and have good security habits. You don't. I worry about someone breaking into my home and stealing my firearms more than getting my car stolen. At the very least, they are an extra hassle or responsibility because you can never forget where they are or leave them unsecured. Read the thread about the genius who left an assault rifle in his unlocked car for 1 or 2 minutes outside a gun store and someone grabbed it and ran.

I like having the right to own a gun but the chances of them being stolen are MUCH greater than ever using one in self-defense, which is close to zero. I actually had one stolen a couple of years ago, total nightmare. And yes, it was behind lock and key but someone broke into my travel trailer and got it anyways. piece was recovered but it was a lesson. I was not diligent enough about gun security.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Dang I thought we were going to talk barrel lengths, smooth bore vs rifled.
I have a 870 express magnum in 12 ga. Good shot gun. But hardly a home defender with the original 28 inch water fowl barrel. I've been meaning to replace it with a 18.5, but I don't think my back is tolerable of a 12 ga right now. The magnum allows for use of 2 2/3, 3, and 3.5 inch shells. So it's very versatile with ammunition. Home defense you will use 00 shot. Essentially lead balls in the 30 caliber diameter. Not saying you can't use bird shot, but too close you'll blow a hole through a chest, too far away it'll be ineffective. Shot guns are lethal. And the Germans wanted them outlawed in ww1. They're messy and you'll prolly puke if you shot someone with one. But they're used because you just have to point and shoot. Pistols, and rifles you'll have to aim unless you have some sort laser sight; acog, or eotech that takes the fundamentals out of the equation.

That said you can't go around brandishing a weapon when you want to. It's a very complex equation, and you're better off flight instead of fighting unless it's absolutely needed. Think legal fees and other bs should it be a bad shooting. If you never been shot at it's hard to understand.

I forgot to mention I was able to get my shot gun at cabelas on black Friday 5 or so years ago. They have good specials.

IRR... What IRR!

Last edited by AZ_porschekid; 11-18-2018 at 10:04 PM..
Old 11-18-2018, 10:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
I think that I could shoot someone if I had to but I'd have to really be in fear for my life. Otherwise, I don't think I could pull the trigger.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
I think that I could shoot someone if I had to but I'd have to really be in fear for my life. Otherwise, I don't think I could pull the trigger.
well that's the thing you don't fear for your life until it's too late.
I've known people that do that hero thing and stand up for a girl at a bar, and the guy goes out to their vehicle and gets a pistol and shoots them dead, or even the one guy I knew that got beat to death with a bat. they didn't know they were in danger till it was too late.

the world is a dangerous place

IRR... What IRR!
Old 11-18-2018, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

The Fiocchi Buck Shot defensive loads are all ya need...definitely not point & shoot though...pretty tight groups @ personal defense distances...like being hit with 4 .45ACP rounds all at once....within the radius of a soccer ball...some of the 9 pellets will penetrate through (barely) a 2x6.

That's instant "threat over"..... best pick, 2nd to none imo...and not TOO much.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Plan B..............

Other things you could do would be to have a cutout switch installed on your new truck to immobilize the vehicle when YOU are not using it. Also, install a tracking device to make it easy(er) to find if it is taken. Two things a property owned should not have to do, but things are different today than from just a few years ago! Oh, and keep the keys in your pants pocket, not on the floor of your truck!
Old 11-19-2018, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsinrugs View Post
Wow...thatís a very generous offer. But, Iím clearly on the fence. My inner anger of my sanctuary being violated is still boiling. Itís not so much the truck taken as it is the zombie coming down my road and touring my place. If he hadnít taken my truck I probably never would have known someone was snooping around. Motion sensor lights went up yesterday and locks ( never had them) installed last week. My wife wants a Gate at the top of the driveway and I may get another dog. One that is a little bigger and more intimidating then my border collie. Thanks again Seahawk for the generous offer but Iím going to clear my anger before I commit to a weapon.
These sound like good first steps. Good exterior lighting and locks are far more important than a gun, and dogs are probably the most effective tool for scaring off a potential thief.

Personally, I would not feel comfortable living on land in the country without some sort of weapon, but that's just me. Police response is even longer at that point, you are very much on your own. You also have the benefit of being able to actually enjoy gun ownership, shooting clays is actually a lot of fun. I'll be at my in-laws' 40 acres in central KS later this week for Thanksgiving, we always have a good time target and clay shooting.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Being inexperienced, many people get shot with their own gun. The criminal is more desperate than you.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 11-19-2018, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Just for what it’s worth.....my key ring consisted of six vehicles, warehouse, locked garbage bin, office, townhouse, garage access ,back gate at the townhouse,forklift and tractor key. No, it’s not a pickle in my pocket and I’m not happy to see you. Should have taken the keys inside but they just don’t fit in my pocket.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 Rod View Post
Being inexperienced, many people get shot with their own gun. The criminal is more desperate than you.
That is simply untrue. Please don't spread such uninformed misconceptions.

I agree with many here that the OP is looking at the wrong tool for the wrong reasons to solve the wrong problem. Bugs, I'm glad you kind of realize that as well. There are better ways to secure your belongings. A gun should never be thought of as any sort of a tool for intimidation. The only time it comes out is when there is no other choice and it is time to use it. Most of us, even us avid shooters and gun nuts, are simply not prepared to do that. There have to be absolutely no other options. Even then, your life will be changed forever. And not for the better. It will still be better than being dead, but not by much. This really is only for when that is the choice you are facing.
"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 11-19-2018, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins View Post
That is simply untrue. Please don't spread such uninformed misconceptions.

I agree with many here that the OP is looking at the wrong tool for the wrong reasons to solve the wrong problem. Bugs, I'm glad you kind of realize that as well. There are better ways to secure your belongings. A gun should never be thought of as any sort of a tool for intimidation. The only time it comes out is when there is no other choice and it is time to use it. Most of us, even us avid shooters and gun nuts, are simply not prepared to do that. There have to be absolutely no other options. Even then, your life will be changed forever. And not for the better. It will still be better than being dead, but not by much. This really is only for when that is the choice you are facing.
I have a buddy whose dad owns a gas station/convenience store in St. Paul, MN. and had to shoot someone dead. He had no choice, the guy threw a brick through the glass door after closing time when the old man was counting money in the back and would not back down w a gun pointed at him. Blam-blam, you're dead.

He was cleared 100% legally and went on w his life. One day, a young woman showed up at the business and just stared at him. He asked if he could help her and she said that she just wanted to see the man who killed her boyfriend. He told her, "we need to talk." They sat down and he told her the true story of what happened, (she somehow had a completely distorted idea of this), and he told her how bad he felt, even though he really didn't have a choice.

That's the closest I've ever been to someone who had to do that. He's at peace w it but wishes it never happened, to put it mildly. I used to joke around and say that I could kill someone who was trying to harm my family and feel great about it, have a big spaghetti dinner afterwards, etc., but the truth is much different.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

A 12 gauge fired in the air is one of the true attention getters. I live is a somewhat similar situation with the neighbors being a bit spread out. Any reasonable 12 gauge pump is good for this situation. Plus a 12 gauge pump works for the zombie apocalypse.
Beechcraft V-Tail Bonanza
(Fly'n high and low)
Old 11-19-2018, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
The first round in my 12G is a slug, not going to waste that on a warning shot. Just sayin'. If the sound of it racking doesn't scare them off, the warning shot is going through their chest.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorschePilot View Post
A 12 gauge fired in the air is one of the true attention getters.
And legally speaking, it's the worst thing you can do. It proves you were not in fear for your life and thus were, at the very least, brandishing, probably discharging where not legal and endangering others with the projectiles falling back down to Earth. Really, really bad idea, Joe Biden's idiotic advice notwithstanding.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: