Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I've used Nespressos a bunch and like them. Super convenient. The pods are said to be an environmental crime but oh well.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by herr_oberst View Post
I like how the gauge carries the funky 80's ELEKTRA logo!!
Think I can find that "font" online? I want to make an Illustrator file and get the fascia decaled or engraved, since the original painted logo is in bad shape.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aigel View Post
This is just awesome, John. Congratulations to get it fired up! Cracks me up that people think of 240 as such a big deal in the US. A lot of places around the world it is standard household voltage. Thanks for the write up. Did you retire, or where did you find the time to do all this work!? Keep us posted!

Cheers,

George
This has been my main evening activity for a while now. Wife is not amused.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
This has been my main evening activity for a while now. Wife is not amused.
Have you considered a drive-thru? I bet that'd win her over
Old 01-03-2019, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
Porsche Nut

Garage
@jyl I am enjoying your rebuild as well as the wife humor. I would have taken it apart on our kitchen table where it would have remained for six months before ultimately retiring it to a box somewhere never to be seen or dumped. Classic kid with a screw driver syndrome, take s****t apart and never put it back together. Good for you to see it through.

We also have Nespresso, Keurig and my real espresso machine. Yes Nespresso is easy and good, but got to love a fresh ground espresso.

Last edited by merbesfield; 01-03-2019 at 09:24 AM..
Old 01-03-2019, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

Garage
Wife owes me. I have been cooking myself to exhaustion for her holiday parties. I also bring her coffee in bed a few days a week. I will also offer to remove the full-chrome bicycle frame from its display in the living room if the espresso machine can go in the kitchen. This is marital jujitsu.

Last edited by jyl; 01-03-2019 at 10:08 AM..
Old 01-03-2019, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

Quote:
Wife owes me. I have been cooking myself to exhaustion for her holiday parties. I also bring her coffee in bed a few days a week. I will also offer to remove the full-chrome bicycle frame from its display in the living room if the espresso machine can go in the kitchen. This is marital jujitsu.
Are you sure you're not Vash (Clint) ? Especially the jujitsu comment - sounds exactly like something he would post!

'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
'06 911 S Aerokit - from 5/2/2016 to 11/14/2018
Old 01-03-2019, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Garage
Quote:
Think I can find that "font" online? I want to make an Illustrator file and get the fascia decaled or engraved, since the original painted logo is in bad shape.
Easy. I'll take a look either tonight or tomorrow morning for you. Slight repayment for all of the great pizzas you made and I sampled on new years eve!
Old 01-03-2019, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

Garage
Test shot. I don't know what I'm doing, and don't have any consistency (don't even own a tamper yet), but the machine is emitting espresso, sometimes good and sometimes bad. This one was about average. I was using the manual brew button and I think I let the shot go too long.

https://youtu.be/p89pNB0alFk
Old 01-03-2019, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

Great job..... love the machine and what you have done.
It might be worth getting a small weigh scale to measure the weight of grind you pit in and the weight of the shot.
A guide is a single shot is 28g.... helpful to get a consistent draw and adjust to suit your taste.
Also Id suggest that to test the heads you use the twin spout head, two singles or a double. They seem to provide a better ( very subjective) shot and crema and better consistency.
Have fun getting it exactly as you like it....
Old 01-03-2019, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)
Band.

Send a message via AIM to Gogar
Awesome now you can start obsessing about water temp and pressure and prebrewing and how much coffee and the grind snd tamping and how long to pull and whether or not someone said kind words to the coffee as it was growing and if the guy who picked the coffee was happy in his home life and what language the coffee spoke as it was growing up and
1973 Honda CB350F
Old 01-04-2019, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

Garage
Wait, you mean I stumbled into a new hobbsession? Nooooo

Last edited by jyl; 01-04-2019 at 09:18 AM..
Old 01-04-2019, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Well done; getting it going.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #113 (permalink)

Garage
You know how we complain that cars aren't designed to be repaired, with fasteners inaccessible - like when you try to remove the trailing arms from a 911. Well the Italian espresso machine makers aren't any better. Trying to chase down the last drippy fitting, turned out to be the lower fitting on the left group, and you can't get a wrench on that fitting without removing the upper fitting. Irritating!
Old 01-04-2019, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #114 (permalink)

Garage
Ran into a problem where the machine would flash and pop and trip the garage 60A breaker with a 240v short to ground. Turns out I needed a new heating element and the short circuits degraded the contacts on the pressurestat so I replaced that too. Fixed the leaky steam valves. Still need a switch for the programing cable, and I think a heating element safety switch would be a good idea. But the main remaining task is the cosmetics. The side panels are removed for cosmetic work and there is final polish to be done.

My attention is turning to preparing the coffee station in the dining room and installing this machine. I need to find a suitable piece of furniture, run power and water and drain lines, install water filter and shutoffs, etc.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)
Porsche Nut

Garage
Wow. I bet you could do some really good work on a Porsche! ;-)
Old 01-12-2019, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #116 (permalink)

I've been using a Breville Oracle at my office. I like the fact that it is programmable and has the flexibility to make perfect-for-me cappuccinos each and every time.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #117 (permalink)

Garage
I've read good things about the Breville machines. That company seems to do a good job on about anything.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #118 (permalink)

Yes, Sir that is correct. The Oracle has the ability to program all of the stuff that Gogar was talking about: grind texture, tamp pressure, pre-infuse time, extraction time, temperature, milk texture, and milk temperature. It's freaking crazy.

And once you have it dialed in the way you like, it will grind the coffee and make your perfect Americano or cappuccino every time.

I love your machine for home. It is quite the conversation starter. But at work I can knock out a cappuccino while on hold and have it done before the conference call starts. And it fits in the copier room next to my office.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #119 (permalink)

I've had high end machines, and currently have a Breville BDB (oracle without the grinder). They are amazing machines. I use a 15 second preinfusion at 50% power to mimic the low pressure extraction of a Slayer type machine and get amazing shots about 90% or the time.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 01-13-2019, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #120 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: