Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

One of the things that soured me on the watch collecting hobby was that it was difficult to obtain watches such as that. Back when they re-released that watch, I was spending most of my time in facilities where that watch would've been beneficial. Virtually all of the buyers that got one, bought it for its appearance and not because it had practical applications in the areas where strong magnetic fields might be present. As usual, I offered to get on a waiting list and wait my turn, but I had many dealers tell me that I wasn't a sufficiently "good customer" to warrant them putting me on a list. Hopefully the last dealer that told me that regretted it, as I turned around and traveled out of state to another dealer and bought three new watches from him. I never ended up with the Milguass and have since sold off every watch I owned, including all of my Rolexes.

I'm no longer a fan of most dealers, or most of the products currently offered by the better watch companies or most of the people in the watch collecting hobby.

Maybe, someday I will buy another watch, maybe I won't. We'll see.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

Looks like lots of Milgauss on the used market. The prices don't even seem that crazy by Rolex standards. Maybe 7k out the door.

https://www.crownandcaliber.com/collections/rolex-milgauss-watches#/filter:mfield_global_papers:Yes
Old 12-07-2018, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)

It's more than they were listing for new, when they were re-introduced about 10 years ago. Feel free to buy one, that ship has sailed for me.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

You can find a nice milgauss for well under 6k if you look around a bit. The white faced one seems to be less expensive and I like the look.

I do think antimagntic ratings have lost a bit of meaning in current times where nonmagnetic silicon hairsprings are sometimes used
Old 12-07-2018, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
You can find a nice milgauss for well under 6k if you look around a bit. The white faced one seems to be less expensive and I like the look.

I do think antimagntic ratings have lost a bit of meaning in current times where nonmagnetic silicon hairsprings are sometimes used
I wonder if the white ones will be more collectible - the dark faced ones seem cooler now but of course all of that eventually changes.

My workplace has one of the strongest magnets on the planet, so that's my excuse - even if my desk is three miles away and I never get close to the thing. I'm a powerpoint jockey that dabbles in explosives...
https://www.lanl.gov/orgs/mpa/nhmfl/
Old 12-07-2018, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

Nice Rolex factory article that really outlines why they are special:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/inside-rolex
Old 12-11-2018, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

NoRush, That Hodinkee article answers the question well.
The level of complexity and technology makes you understand a what you are getting when you get a modern Rolex, good read for any enthusiast or curious person, thanks.
BTW, That area near the Jura Mt range is sprinkled with small factories, all building movements by hand for different manufacturers. Rolex is not the only name they are just the biggest player with 'the most toys' to gain such perfection and accuracy. There are some other very good timepieces being made up there.
'99 MX-5
7 bicycles and a Metro Card...
Old 12-12-2018, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
wow..my watch is pictured in that article.

i had no clue on the history of my Day-Date.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRush993/951 View Post
Nice Rolex factory article that really outlines why they are special:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/inside-rolex
Good article.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardDrive View Post
Good article.
It's a great article, which illustrates why a newer vintage Rolex is better than an old one...
Old 12-12-2018, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)

For those wishing to confirm production dates of vintage Rolex watches thru 2010, you might find this useful:
Production Dates

The band production dates can also be verified.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

Rolex launched a new historical website this week:
https://www.rolex.org
Old 12-14-2018, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #112 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: