Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Is love finite?

I'm working on a children's book, grandmother passes away, she's buried in the ground, granddaughter wants to know where her love goes.

I've always thought that like the laws of conservation of mass and conservation of energy, there is also conservation of the soul and its primary element, love. So it's easy, and a little simplistic, to theorize that as people pass and babies are born, love comes and goes.

But then I look at the state of the world today and in some ways think there's been a slow and steady decline and a bit more pernicious than the immediacy of war, namely smart phones taking the place of actual interaction.

So, when someone passes away, where does their love for you and everyone around them, go?

Old 12-09-2018, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

With whoever you gave it to of course. One way single use transaction. Once love is given, it can't be taken back. Love can be exchanged or returned, but it isn't the same love you gave them. And love that is refused is gone.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

There are religious answers to this, of course. Otherwise, their love lives in our hearts. I still feel the love from and for my father. Your book should focus on the granddaughter preserving the love in her heart for the rest of her life. Pretty basic, but it's a good and ancient message always worth re-visiting.
1983 VW Westfalia; 1989 VW Syncro Tristar Doka
550 Beck Spyder, 1989
Old 12-09-2018, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Love is in your mind and your heart. When you pass, it passes. However, if the people that you loved is still alive, it lives within them. I loved my grandparents and my father, but they have passed. I had a brother that was born before me, and he passed before I was born. I did not meet him, or had the ability to love him. He is in my mother, brother and sister's hearts. For me, I know of his existence and that is about it.
14 535i M Sport

Last edited by WPOZZZ; 12-09-2018 at 04:34 PM..
Old 12-09-2018, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Shaun, the Japanese have something similar in their culture.

I would disagree however with your assessment that "things are worse now", from an objective look there has never been a point of greater peace between mankind.

People who would have been considered normal, or even great, are now considered monsters.

All that has changed is you have become more aware of how much evil is in the world.

However, back to your story idea, there is a flaw - an ever increasing population.

Those that are only children often seem the most needy of love, yet they should have maximum concentration.

Instead I would counter that love is not finite, it can be nurtured, it can grow; but I would also agree, new seeds can be planted by those that have lived before.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Love never dies, it lives on in our memories of loved ones lost. They never die, they live on in our memories.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The Stick

Garage
In simple terms...

The effect you have on others is what lives on after you pass. Good or bad.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

^^^agreed. Example. My beloved dog passed two days ago. I loved him while he lived and continue to love him.

I would argue the conservation of mass absolutely does not apply to Love. More loveable people / dogs / etc = more love.

But then again I am a big softie.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKDinOKC View Post
In simple terms...

^^^^^^ This.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

Why the love you have is sucked right out of you and into your Smart phone. Leaving you a hollow shell of nothingness. You have traded the love of God for a smart phone..
Old 12-09-2018, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKDinOKC View Post
In simple terms...

You've just described "Heaven" and "Hell" in 13 words. The owners of the world's religions can now please go do something else so we can get on with our lives.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

"Get out my life woman...I don't love you no more..." - JGB

People fall "in" love....yep.

Well...it's a two-way street ..but some love lasts forever...like a dawg's.

Sorry 'bout your puppy LWJ....that always hurts....
Old 12-10-2018, 01:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

A Man of Wealth and Taste

And he so loved the world that he sacrificed his only son.

And his sons dieing words were they know not what they do.

2000 years later they still don't.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Not according to Celine Dion.

WAIT! I was wrong. According to Celine it goes when you go
"Love can touch us one time
And last for a lifetime
And never let go till we're gone"

Or does she?
"You're here, there's nothing I fear
And I know that my heart will go on
We'll stay forever this way
You are safe in my heart and
My heart will go on and on"

Last edited by cabmando; 12-10-2018 at 04:00 AM..
Old 12-10-2018, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabmando View Post
Not according to Celine Dion.
I'd be embarassed to know wtf yer referring too
Old 12-10-2018, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Yeah, not one of my manlier moments. I'm gonna have to drop some gangsta rap to recover.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
Love’s only limits are those we place upon it. It does not follow the laws of physics - it can be created out of nothing and can extend to many people and expand to fill any volume we allow it to. It has many forms (not just eros, agape, philia and storge). It can be given even to those who reject it or do not appreciate it, if we choose. I believe it is acts in one direction - from the heart of one to another;how the receiver responds is separate but of course can be influenced by it. Nobody has a monopoly on it - it exists independently of culture, language, gender, race or religion. NO religion owns it or fully understands it (even though most claim to).

Most impotently - loving others (and ideally being loved back) is the single most important thing in life. It is not money, fame, power or “checking all the boxes”, it’s simply that. The ability to love, care, be compassionate and caring and feel a sense of connection to our fellow travelers on this rock as it careens through time and space... at the end of the day, nothing else matters but how we’ve treated our fellows, the memories and examples of it that we leave behind. The rest is dust in the wind.

Black Cars Matter
Old 12-10-2018, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

Well Shaun it would depend on what age group of children you are targeting.

My belief is that love does continue only interrupted by the mortal passing of the body in this world. Further the greatest love is God's love of all mankind which is demonstrated maternally through our mothers and grandmothers here.

So you could simplify or expand on that idea; again depending on what age the book is marketed to.
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 12-10-2018, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

I haven't thought about what age, just wanted to write it and have a publisher tell me what age range they think it will apply. One of the main goals is to make the story thought-provoking, not just explanatory.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Gon fix it with me hammer

Garage
Well, if you wake up in the morning she looks worse then your remaining alcohol blood level can correct for. Then I would say the love is defo gone !.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: