Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Saw Sunday that it was playing nearby. Grabbed last remaining ticket. 3D. It was the only movie I've seen in a theater in 2018, but the best $16 I've spent in a long time. Anything tied to the IWM is time well spent.

'85 911 Carrera-#008
'14 GMC 2500HD 6.6L Crew
'15 M-B C300 sport
Old 12-19-2018, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Just left the theater. Excellent work. Largely narrated using old interviews of WWI vents describing their experiences. If they have another showing I highly recommend you go see it.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoastline View Post
Just left the theater. Excellent work. Largely narrated using old interviews of WWI vents describing their experiences. If they have another showing I highly recommend you go see it.
Perfect description. ^

Dragged both my sons (25 and 15) to see it. They were impressed, I was very impressed. Really well done.

If you stick around after credits Jackson comes back on and explains the entire process. He could so a series of these when you consider all the unused footage and various stories that can be told.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 12-27-2018, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Functionista

Just walked out. My one word review is “Ghastly!” Or is it “Gasly?” Either way it was very well done. Just hoping my sons are spared the same horrors.
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Bollweevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims5543 View Post
...... If you stick around after credits Jackson comes back on and explains the entire process. He could so a series of these when you consider all the unused footage and various stories that can be told.
^^^^ this... but his decision to just focus on the experiences of the average infantryman was brilliant me thinks.

Wife and I saw it yesterday and both really enjoyed it. First movie I've seen in a long time where we didn't see a single cell phone turned on during the showing and if not for the movie's sound you could have heard a pin drop.
A war of attrition fought with US civil war tactics against machine guns and modern artillery. Highly recommend If you get a chance to see any of the future showings.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
sold out everywhere I looked
Same here, cannot wait for it to return!
2013 Jag XF, 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 2010 Jaguar XF (fast touring car), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 12-28-2018, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Groucho Marxist

Garage
Brilliant way to roll it out.

I presume this will be more widely distributed soon
Old 12-28-2018, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74-911 View Post
^^^^ this... but his decision to just focus on the experiences of the average infantryman was brilliant me thinks.

Wife and I saw it yesterday and both really enjoyed it. First movie I've seen in a long time where we didn't see a single cell phone turned on during the showing and if not for the movie's sound you could have heard a pin drop.
A war of attrition fought with US civil war tactics against machine guns and modern artillery. Highly recommend If you get a chance to see any of the future showings.
I agree focusing like he did brought a very honest, real feeling to the entire doc.

I typed a more thorough review this morning on a small car forum I goof off on. It is repetitive vs. earlier posts by others but worth restating:

Wow! That was heavy!

Peter Jackson did an amazing job and turned out an amazing documentary, after the credits they ran a 30 minute documentary on how it was all done, when you consider the 100's of hours of footage they sorted through. Then throw in the 100's of hours of audio interviews on BBC radio from the 60's and 70's that they sorted through as well, what a daunting task.

From a geeky techy perspective it was extremely interesting to see how they did what they did, restore 100 year old film, add color and sound to it, tastefully and bring it to life.

Our showing was in 3D, I would have preferred it to be just a 2D showing, you take what you can get.

The entire documentary is narrated by use of the BBC radio interviews, they matched footage up with words and told a small story about the British troops on the northern front vs. Germany.

They took you from the moment England knew they were going to get involved with the war, through basic training, to the battle field, then through the big push and finally the end of the war and how it was to return home.

Sobering is probably not a strong enough word.

Jackson could easily turn this into a series of stories, he alludes to the fact there he had to choose this one story line, yet there were dozens of stories that could be told.

I hope this comes out on video, I would watch it again in a minute.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World

Last edited by Jims5543; 12-28-2018 at 09:50 AM..
Old 12-28-2018, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I saw it yesterday with my two sons (20 and 24) and my wife. It was impactful to say the least.

I just read that it will go into major markets on Jan 11th, and to more markets shortly after. It's the best selling event that Fathom has done.

I echo that it could be a series of stories, and I look forward to seeing it again.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Banned

I would call the movie a day in the life of a WW1 British soldier on the Western Front.

Jackson's comment during the showing of how it was made segment was the most poignant of the whole show... where he showed the footage of the men waiting to attack in the Sunken Lane, while saying that most of the men in the footage were living the last 30 minutes of their life as they were soon to be killed. That was what brought it all home..some of those lads had a terrified look on their faces..

There were a few moments where people in the audience laughed in the beginning...I found nothing funny about the movie as I knew the subject matter would soon turn deadly serious and ghastly. I just thank God I wasn't there.

Other WW1 movies that are good include.

ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT...done in the 30's from the German perspective...it comes close to the same feel as "They Shall..." except for the fact it was a Hollywood studio version which is to say somewhat sanitized.. In the early 30's the memories were still fresh.

PATHS TO GLORY...which was a 50's Kubrick effort starring Kirk Douglas.

WW1 was just unbridled slaughter... apx Russia 2.2M KIA*, 2M Germans KIA, Austria 2M KIA, 1.4 M French KIA, 1M Brits KIA, Ottoman 780K KIA, Italy 650K...Americans were suffering the same casualty rate as the other nations, but by the time the AEF got to the front the Germans had been bled white and were on the ropes...it just took one more big push to make them capitulate. Then add in another 23M wounded...the total including civilian deaths apx 40M.

Artillery, machine guns and gas...is what got ya if disease didn't.

As with the CW the first several months of the war was one of movement, but the slaughter (as in the last stage of the CW) was so horrific that men soon found themselves having to burrow into the earth to survive. The means to break through a concentrated defense was just not there, the weaponry had become so lethal that a virtual stalemate ensued, where the one who could stand the attrition the longest prevailed. No one came out a winner in WW1 except for the USA and Japan (Japan gained territory and position) by default as the other nation states had bled themselves white in manpower and treasury. None of the European powers were ever the same again.

As an aside the best set of Encyclopedia Britannica's is the 1912 edition as many of the scholars who wrote the articles in the edition were killed in WW1. Never again did they have the scholarship.

* All causes.

Last edited by tabs; 12-28-2018 at 02:32 PM..
Old 12-28-2018, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Old 12-29-2018, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I used to have an old British medical plastic/reconstructive surgery textbook from the 1920's that dealt with the injuries and the advancements and experimental procedures used on the war wounded.

It was eye opening to say the least. Limbs missing, faces heavily disfigured etc. Men carried the horror of war and injuries for the rest of their lives. There was some of the work of Ana Coleman Ladd in there, don't know what happened to the book..

https://www.boredpanda.com/face-portrait-masks-world-war-anna-coleman-ladd/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic
Old 12-29-2018, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoastline View Post
Got my tickets for 1:00PM on the 27th. Can't wait.
Did you see it in Nanuet ?
I was also at the 1pm showing.

Amazing labor of love.
Make sure you stick around for the "making of" after the film.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
For those who like a deep dive into a subject, this 15 hour podcast about WW1 was one of the best podcasts I've ever heard. In 5 parts.

https://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/
Old 12-29-2018, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
For those who like a deep dive into a subject, this 15 hour podcast about WW1 was one of the best podcasts I've ever heard. In 5 parts.

https://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/
It is mesmerizing, he kept referring to Barbra Tuchmans book 'Guns of August'.
So I'm in the middle of that one.

Rich
Old 12-29-2018, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Ghia View Post
It is mesmerizing, he kept referring to Barbra Tuchmans book 'Guns of August'.
So I'm in the middle of that one.

Rich
Really, like I read that 40 years ago.

JFK read that book to when it came out, and that is why you are alive. Saved u from THERMO NUCLEAR WAR and going toe to toe with the Ruskies...
Old 12-29-2018, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

If anyone is interested, there is a very ineresting and detailed account of every week of the war on youtube. 225 plus 15 min episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar

1985 M491
Old 12-30-2018, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Before They Shall Not.. came out i thought this was the best 'time machine' to make it all seem more real.

And BBC1 did extensive interviews with WW1 vets in the early 1960's that were very sobering.

'67 901/05 rebuilt 2.2
Bultaco Metralla 62 "XDina"
'68 BMW R69S

Last edited by JCF; 12-31-2018 at 03:35 AM..
Old 12-31-2018, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

This series is also a good one - especially interesting in it shows the role the Canadians had in winning the war - and producing arguably the wars best general.

'67 901/05 rebuilt 2.2
Bultaco Metralla 62 "XDina"
'68 BMW R69S
Old 12-31-2018, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Registered

I just saw a commercial that there is another showing February 1st.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: