Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Nice guy eddie

Garage
That sucks but as others said, metal is replaceable. If the vehicle damaged was a new PU truck, they need to rent you a new PU truck. Pretty sure that's how it works. Enterprise has lots of trucks, for some reason the branch in my neighborhood seems to stock them. Drove past the other day and lot was half-filled w PU trucks.

Good luck.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

As previously stated, sometimes symptoms of whiplash don't show up for a day or two.
And in SOME people they don't show up until they've discussed the incident with a lawyer.

But we know you're not one of THOSE people. Thank goodness.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Lol...
Old 12-19-2018, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigster59 View Post
I haven't dealt with having to hit up someone else's insurance company to put me in a comparable rental vehicle, do I pay out of pocket first and go after them later for the extra cost?
First thing I’d do if I was you is call your insurance company and let them know about the accident and ask them to work out a proper rental for you. Don’t tell them how you feel physically at this point. Wait until you’ve talked to your lawyer..

Last edited by Jim Richards; 12-19-2018 at 10:46 AM..
Old 12-19-2018, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I live in Santa Clarita. That 5/14 split is theeee worst design. Unless rush hour, it's always 60ish then slam on your brakes merge.
Glad everyone is OK....
Old 12-19-2018, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Just curious what did the driver that hit you say was the reason ? Cellphone or sun in their eyes or just not paying attention ? It doesn't change what happened just curious and like others I'm glad you are OK .
It was night time rush hour, we were coming up on the 5/14 split, 4 left lanes go on the 5 north, 3 right lanes go on the 14 north. We were all the way to the left in the fast lane.

Traffic slowed and came to a stop as we were approaching a hill, he must have had at least a 1/8 mile length cushion between me and him which in L.A. rush hour traffic usually means that person is texting and not paying attention.

He said he takes the 14 freeway home and had turned around to change lanes and when he turned back it was too late to stop. I don't know why he was 4 lanes to the left from his exit so late in the game, I'm positive he was texting.

He hit me so hard my tow hitch took the brunt of the force and now the frame is definitely bent. We'll see how this shakes out.

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson
Old 12-19-2018, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Nice guy eddie

Garage
Sounds like itís new truck time for you, maybe new speedboat and Rolex time as well.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
Sounds like itís new truck time for you, maybe new speedboat and Rolex time as well.
You can see how hard he pushed the bed.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Many times that much frame damage which appears to be minor will total the truck. I know I'd fight like hell to get it totalled. Hopefully you don't have it heavily financed or have gap coverage.

So you get it fixed and decide to sell it (I sure would). Document everything and go after the at fault driver for any reduced value.

And if you're not hurting by now, just wait. That was more than a bump.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Looks like a nearly new F150? Depending on value it could be totalled, though without other body damage it's possible to just replace the frame and swap everything over.

I was in a similar accident on I-135 once, traffic backed up on the interstate and rear-ended at a fairly high speed by a Ram that wasn't paying attention. Ever since then it has made me nervous as hell to be stopped on the highway, I always try to leave an exit path and watch my mirrors intently.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Sorry for your troubles, Craig.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
Sorry for your troubles, Craig.
It is what it is. I'm not going to let it "Grinch up" my Christmas. I'll see you Friday!

Old 12-19-2018, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
My only experience with accident injury was from a head-on I had many years ago.
The injury didn't show for a whole week, and then I couldn't even get out of bed.
Adrenalin does funny things to your muscles, and I'm sure you got a good 'jolt' of it from that hit.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
I don't doubt the guy was on his phone when this happened. It's ridiculous around here. No one watches the road....heads are always down in their phones.

Cops don't do anything either.

Every man for himself, essentially....
Old 12-19-2018, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

You shouldn't have to drive rental 2.5 cylinder lil' Chevy. They normally rent you another truck, something close to what you normally drive.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
That truck is toast. You don't look so good either, what did the doctor say about your neck? You are holding your head funny.

Kinky Friedman
Old 12-20-2018, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
They finally got all the statements and found the driver who hit me at fault. I picked up a Ford F150 as my rental. Unfortunately it has an anemic V6 engine, nothing like the Ecoboost.

I can't even get my truck looked at until next Wednesday, I'm thinking they're going to total it. The frame is bent in the back, the bed is wonky and both passenger doors look like they aren't quite closed. I've started looking online for a similar truck, even thinking about buying new and upgrading to a Lariat. Either way they aren't cheap vehicles.

The funny thing is I feel good, no aches or pains yet. I see the doctor tomorrow just to get checked out. The good news is the family wants to go to Disneyland over the holidays and this is my "get out of jail free" card, I'm not messing with those crowds, long lines and traffic. I'm staying home on the couch with the dogs and getting some R and R.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
The main thing is that are you healthy so far but all good advice above. Car accidents are stressful what with all the upheaval and paperwork. Make sure you are made whole physically and financially. You have my sympathy
Old 12-20-2018, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Don't be too scared of fixing it, as long as it is done correctly. Full frame trucks like this can have the frames replaced as a unit. Just make sure you take it to a reputable facility for repairs. The tow hitch is what totales out the majority of rear end hits at my facilities. If you do not tow, I would suggest taking them off.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Well the holidays definitely slowed down the whole process. Finally heard today, the truck has been totaled. The insurance company (State Farm) has given me a decent buyout but I'm working to get reimbursed for 1 month old BFG KO 2's, top of the line 3M window tint all around and Line-X spray on bed liner. Apparently they want some backup and will reimburse me after the fact.

A question for the Pelican Brain Trust. I had a 100k, $100 deductible extended warranty that I bought for the truck when purchased in May with 42k on the clock. They totaled the truck with 54k on the clock and I asked State Farm for reimbursement. The claims adjuster said I need to go to the dealer I bought the extended warranty from and ask for a rebate. I'd never heard of this, do you think they'll reimburse or tell me to pound sand?

Old 01-02-2019, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: