Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Rear Ended Tonight....

And no, it wasn't at the Vivid Entertainment Christmas Party. Driving the 5 North coming up on the 5/14 split, traffic stopped, looked in my mirror and a guy in a Chevy Silverado is coming in my rear view mirror fast, I stomp the brake knowing what's coming and BAM! he hits me hard.

Pushed me into a lady in a Lexus SUV, luckily I was behind her, she would have been creamed. My truck was the ham in the sandwich, front and rear damage. Friggen pisses me off, right at the holiday season and my vacation.

Trailer hitch took the majority of the energy, bent it down and stopped him in his tracks but major bumper damage at both ends and hopefully no frame bent.

I really love this truck and hope it works out. Luckily all are insured. I'll be doing the Pelican search on all the insurance threads. First World problems, but eff me runnin' I wanted to relax the next 2 weeks.

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson
Old 12-18-2018, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Hopefully nobody is hurt.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
That sux.....I hate fender benders......but yeah...no one injured is what's most important.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I see you

Count your blessings Craigster. You can easily fix all the bent metal with paper. Glad your holiday is still intact.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 12-18-2018, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
How are YOU? Don’t assume you are OK if it’s only been a few hours and you don’t feel injured.
I had neck pain for six weeks after I got rear ended. It didn’t start until a few hours after the crash nd ramped up over the next couple of days. Six weeks after th crash one of my teeth fell in two, cracked when my teeth slammed together during the crash.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yes, that sux! Hope you didn't experience any whip lash or something else. Things like that are a royal PITA. Wish you luck.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hate to say this to ya, but that's life in the fast lane. I see more and more azzholds on the road nowadays. No one gives a siht anymore about you or anyone else unlike before. Cutting in and out of carpool, seeing that you are flying up at 80 and they come in at 30. I am just glad you are ok and in one piece. Enjoy the holidays and deal with it in time. Is this the 4Runner?
Old 12-18-2018, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yep, it is not over. You will probably feel some pain in the next day or 2.

I've had 3 cars totaled, all 3 rear ended and all 3 while I was
sitting at a red light waiting.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

Sorry for your troubles here. Had similar in late 90s. Couldnít drive myself and was a mental wreck on major roads for a long time. Sucks but at least you are ok.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Sorry to hear it and glad you're mostly ok. The silver lining here is that you appear to live in Ca. so finding a really nice replacement for your p/u (if needed) should be markedly easier than if you lived in say The Land of Salted Tin Worms.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I will re-iterate what WDFifteen stated about waiting to see how you feel today. I didn't develop any whiplash (after someone hit me) until the next day, and made sure I went to a doctor to have it documented for any future issues.

Their insurance company was very quick to offer up a settlement, don't be so quick to accept.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

at least it was not the porsche
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 12-19-2018, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
A Secret Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
How are YOU? Donít assume you are OK if itís only been a few hours and you donít feel injured.
I had neck pain for six weeks after I got rear ended. It didnít start until a few hours after the crash nd ramped up over the next couple of days. Six weeks after th crash one of my teeth fell in two, cracked when my teeth slammed together during the crash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
I will re-iterate what WDFifteen stated about waiting to see how you feel today. I didn't develop any whiplash (after someone hit me) until the next day, and made sure I went to a doctor to have it documented for any future issues.

Their insurance company was very quick to offer up a settlement, don't be so quick to accept.
All of the above - read and heed.

Economics provides information about the world. It does not provide wisdom.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the replies. I feel good today, will wait to see if any pain shows up in the next few days. It just sucks being the holidays, I had home projects planned, maybe go to Mammoth, etc.

My truck is full size 4x4, I just know with it being Christmas and New Years it will extend the time it takes to fix the truck. I just don't want to be driving a frigging Chevy Cruz for 3 weeks, I need my truck.

I haven't dealt with having to hit up someone else's insurance company to put me in a comparable rental vehicle, do I pay out of pocket first and go after them later for the extra cost?

I'm not going to let it kill my Christmas spirit, I should be thankful we were all able to drive away and we were all insured (a crapshoot in California). I want to make sure I'm fairly compensated (good repair, diminished value) like I said I love the truck and planned on keeping it a long time, now not so sure.

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson
Old 12-19-2018, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
Accidents suck - I had a MB CLK that was the ham in the sandwich and it was beyond repair. Cars are designed to crumple - to protect you and your occupants. I'm glad you are ok.

I initially refused medical at the accident scene - I called my son to pick me up as the car was being towed away. Within the hour I got nauseous and I had my son take me to the ER. I thought I had a concussion.

It all worked out - I was just shaken up but the lesson learned is don't take anything for granted. As others have stated, don't be to quick to declare yourself ok.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 12-19-2018, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Just curious what did the driver that hit you say was the reason ? Cellphone or sun in their eyes or just not paying attention ? It doesn't change what happened just curious and like others I'm glad you are OK .
Old 12-19-2018, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Ouch Craig. I'm sorry to hear that. With everybody insured, it will work out eventually, but was a PITA.

If you get sore let me know. I have two bottle of Celebrex 200mg. I can spot you a weeks worth.

Volvo V60 - Daily Driver (I love it!)
997 Turbo - FVD Exhaust, GIAC Tune - 542 dyno hp on 93 oct
1972 Chevy K-10 Pick-Up Truck Hugger Orange
Old 12-19-2018, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
shh-the robot is sleeping

So sorry. Recently our devision at work was cited for the most rear end collisions in the county. We were asked to be more careful take additional online training. What a waste of time I thought, how could you prevent an accident like the one described here?

I actually learned a few things: When last in line at stopped traffic:

1) always look for an emergency exit in case it is needed - i.e. shoulder.
2) put on your hazards or pump brakes to identify stopped traffic ahead
3) always leave 1-2 car lengths between you and the car ahead
4) keep your eyes on the rear view mirror until the next car is behind you

I am not saying the driver here did anything wrong. This training just came to mind.

My best wishes for a merry Christmas and a speedy recovery / return to the road.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered ConfUser

Guessing a cell phone was involved. As others have said, a visit to the Dr is in order. An ounce of prevention, so to speak.
1954 BMW R25/3
Old 12-19-2018, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigster59 View Post
I haven't dealt with having to hit up someone else's insurance company to put me in a comparable rental vehicle, do I pay out of pocket first and go after them later for the extra cost?
I've only had one experience with this. I called them, told them I needed a car, and they contacted a rental agency and gave them their payment info. If you need a truck, tell them you have to have a truck. I probably talked to the other insurance company 10 times and wrote 4-5 letters before we got it settled. I called my insurance agent and asked what to do. I recommend you call your insurance guy. He should be good for some guidance.
DON'T ACCEPT ANY INJURY SETTLEMENT FOR AT LEAST 2 MONTHS! The are quick to try to get you to absolve them of blame for personal injury. Even if they send you a check, don't cash it until you KNOW you are OK. Like I said, it took months for the fracture in my tooth to finally let go.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: