Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My 400 HP Ford Excursion diesel surprises a few people, and will run over small darty 2 seaters if they aren't careful.

Even in my 300 HP 2004 Mustang, I don't race...no point !
Old 12-29-2018, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Information Overloader

OK Boyz! Its on!

I choose the hill. But I gotta tell ya my dad was a genius Pinewood Derby man so I been swatting flies like you my whole life.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Did any of you guys street race when you were younger? I kind of caught the tail end of that era. There were still a few places you could go to find a street race when i was in my early 20's. Everybody used to meet in the courthouse parking lot , then you would go a few miles out of town , to where there was a nice stretch of two lane road. We also had a real nice place close to my house, where there was a perfect 2 lane 1/4 mile stretch that we had marked off . Different times for sure . Amazingly, I do not remember anybody ever getting hurt , or arrested
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 12-29-2018, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I used to race a kid in high school week after week, he in his Dodge Demon 340 and me in my 240Z with Webers and headers. So much fun.

I haven't raced anyone in ages and no one ever wants to race me in the M491. Closest I've come are douchebags in new C300s thinking they are faster than a 2001 Tundra. They aren't, that's fun.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfredracing View Post
Did any of you guys street race when you were younger? I kind of caught the tail end of that era. There were still a few places you could go to find a street race when i was in my early 20's. Everybody used to meet in the courthouse parking lot , then you would go a few miles out of town , to where there was a nice stretch of two lane road. We also had a real nice place close to my house, where there was a perfect 2 lane 1/4 mile stretch that we had marked off . Different times for sure . Amazingly, I do not remember anybody ever getting hurt , or arrested
My first car was a '65 Impala 2dr with a 350 and 4 speed. It wasn't really that fast, but since that was 1986+ most of what I had to deal with something like a Camaro or Monte Carlo running a 305.

I was a teenager with a V-8, but I didn't race that often to be honest. It was mostly impromptu stoplight drags. On one occasion, I was at a hangout spot and had a guy challenge me where we had to drive out to the spot where that sort of thing happened.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 12-29-2018, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
You're driving a fast car.
So, people assume you want to drive fast.
I'd consider that a rational conclusion.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Functionista

74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Used to happen when I was in my 30s and 40s, but not much now that I am in mid-60s, which is fine. If they want to burnout or challenge on the interstate, I just give them a waive and go about my business. Some like to tailgate the 911 even if I am over the limit just to see how fast I will go. I just pull over and let them go by.

In my 914, never a challenge, and seldom tailgated like the SC. go figure

Once was doing about 10 over on a two lane highway in the sticks being closely followed by a ricer. Came upon 4 cars going 5 under the limit and the oncoming lane was wide open so I went out to pass all with the ricer glued to my tail. Hit about 90 when passing the last car, and quickly got back into the right lane while the ricer had to show me and went blasting by while I was tapping the brakes to slow. Guess he was going about a buck when a cop came up from the opposite direction. He immediately lit up and flipped a U. I was doing about 70 in the 55, still slowing and pulling over with the other cars since he had no interest in us. A couple of minutes later he already had the ricer out of his car in cuffs. I wanted to honk, but thought better.
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 12-29-2018, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
If you want to do fast, you need to get over to Germany and hang out on the fast lane of an unrestricted German autobahn, its quite an experience

One of the McLaren F1 super car owners used his car to commute between different offices of the bank he worked for. When the guys at the factory downloaded his car data during a service they initially thought something was wrong with a sensor or software

The telemetry showed periods when the car was travelling over 200 mph for minutes at a time. Nothing wrong with the car or data, was just large parts of his commute was early morning on unrestricted Autobahn's
1994 Toyota 4Runner Gen 2
Old 12-30-2018, 12:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
durn for'ner

I always race any Porsche in my 1998 BMW 320.

Carrera '85
Old 12-30-2018, 01:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Kantry Member

The only time it really worried me was about 25years ago,heading home in the 924S, some kids in a rusted out Mercury Lynx went rattling by me at about 20 over the limit. A ways up the road I had a choice of routes, so took the one they didn't. Further on, it was clear they had reversed course and came up behind me again in a line of slower cars. Finally they overtook me and two other vehicles on a blind crest. A quarter mile after that they pulled off in a driveway and headed back the way they came.

Be careful out there.
Les
Old 12-30-2018, 01:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
a.k.a. G-man

Garage
At the lights, I’ve been known to rev my engine a bit to confirm the race is on and when the light goes green, I take off like a turtle.
Leaving the other guy catapulting himself like a madman...

Guys with (recent) M3’s always seem to have something to prove.
32C Member #41

1986 911 3.2 Carrera (not stock)
1974 911 2.7 9114102230 SOLD

Last edited by Geronimo '74; 12-30-2018 at 04:30 AM..
Old 12-30-2018, 02:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Every once in a while a fart can Honda/Toyota will want to race me . I generally just look at them and make sure they see me laughing . As my dad used to say there is no cure for stupid . You want to race ? Take it to the track !
Old 12-30-2018, 02:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Bunch of wusses.... I've left so many 911s in the dust....lost count over the years. She's still one bad azz worn out F150 with some wood in the back though. I don't get it....
Old 12-30-2018, 02:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfredracing View Post
My uncle grew up in a small town in Illinois.

The police would close off main street on Friday nights and turn it into a drag strip.

Different times indeed.

Now I wonder why jets line up and go full throttle time after time. What are they trying to show/prove by putting that much power into action for a take off?
Old 12-30-2018, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
Most Porsches aren't stop light cars, (aside from the modern turbos I guess)

My favorite quote in my signature... For those of you using Tapatalk it's "Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers".

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers" -Colin McRae
Old 12-30-2018, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

Last month, three of my brothers and two nephews flew to my oldest brothers wedding in Florida. As the plane taxied to the run way, the flight attendant informed all passengers what was about to happen. "In a minute or so, there will be a brief stop at the end of the run way, then we will go so fast, we're gonna fly."

And we did. Beat every car below.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
You know who you are.....

Just last night I was driving home in my 996 from picking up some dinner, and was going right at the posted speed limit (30 MPH) on a small residential street in my neighborhood. A Tesla pulled in behind me from a cross street and basically rode my bumper for the next 8 blocks; clearly agitated that I'd dare drive so slowly.

He turned right a block before I did, but we met up again at a 4-way stop a block from my home, and he literally went straight through the intersection without as much as slowing down, just so he wouldn't be behind me again. The only problem (for him, anyway) was that a city cop was on his ass, and I watched and laughed as he got blue-lighted for his stupidity. I had a Cheshire-cat grin as I rode slowly by to turn onto my street, but it was dark, so the tool bag probably couldn't see me laughing at him.

Made my night. Happy New Year, A** hole!

Todd
'85 Carrera Targa/'87 951/'99 996 Carrera Coupe/'17 Macan
"Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained" Thomas E.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

I was at a light in my old miata, 133hp. Next to me was some beat up old pickup truck, and he was revving the snot out of his motor. The missus was in the car, so even if my mood had been whacky and I would have been tempted, it wasn't going to happen anyway. But I also had my Valentine 1 on and it was screaming that there was something with radar on behind me. I couldn't see anything because there was probably 8-10 cars lined up in the two lanes behind me and the goober in the truck. Still, considering where we were, I knew it was someone and not just a bogus alert. The light turned green and I paused before I even started off, and the guy in the truck stomped the gas and spun his tire through the intersection in a nice loud smoky burn-out.

I suspect everyone at the light except the guy in the truck was laughing as the cop turned on lights and sirens and everyone parted to let him go get the guy.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 12-30-2018, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

yes it happens often when I am out in my 71 911. I love to watch them doing their best to catch up in traffic on the street or interstate. some are just interested in seeing an old longhood. and, others you know the car type are thinking of easy pickings!!! well at 2200 pounds and almost 600 chp from the aluminum 434 sbc solid roller motor and 930 gearbox...I try not to disappoint! what is surprising to me is that lots of younger drivers do not have a clue about what a loud hotrod v8 motor sounds like...even at idle and in an old Porsche!!! and my car is not a sleeper...to noisy for that unless you are deaf...
Old 12-30-2018, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: