Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

My E46 was rock solid and so easy to repair, parts were reasonable as well. My e38 740 was the complete opposite.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #161 (permalink)

I'm done buying cars...and honestly don't know what I'd buy if a situation arose that forced me to look at new cars. Maybe Lexus for the Japanese reliability factor? Nearest dealer is up in Portland, but I understand a Toyota dealership can service them. Yep, reliability and comfort more important to me than status or performance. Gads, I'm old...

Last edited by pwd72s; 01-14-2019 at 06:36 PM..
Old 01-14-2019, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #162 (permalink)
A Marchand fan before you

Garage
BMWs are turning into the Microwave oven of cars...its cheaper to replace it than fix one that is out of warranty. It seems like all cars are moving toward being like disposable razors: crappy quality to start with, use it, throw it away, and get another crappy one.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #163 (permalink)

Today, if you want to get a reliable, easily maintained performance car then you will need $30-40K for an SC or Carrera. I'm planning to get my starter and alternator rebuilt and replace the fuel pump. I figure, as long as I have the tool kit in the trunk with a spare belt, perhaps a spare CDI unit, I can go anywhere I want for about $0 in maintenance/repair.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #164 (permalink)
Functionista

^^^ I agree but with a spare fuel pump added as they are harder to get quickly for an MFI 911.
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #165 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

I have a very hard time with an SC or Carrera as a $40k car. To me that’s real money.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #166 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo View Post
My E46 was rock solid and so easy to repair, parts were reasonable as well. My e38 740 was the complete opposite.
But they are such lovely cars. I would love a 2001 740i M Sport. But like you say, have heard they are hard cars to own.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #167 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
Yeah, that's just what I want. More unreliable electric crap on a BMW. I'll give them bonus points if they put a plastic impeller on the pump.

Ima gonna go get me some a that octane booster, get me back some of that 2 or 3 hp I'm losing with my old-fashioned water pump.
Does your existing car use an electric radiator fan?
Old 01-16-2019, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #168 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
I have a very hard time with an SC or Carrera as a $40k car. To me that’s real money.
Yep. $20k worth of German quality and fun for $40-50k.

I was bird-dogging an '84 Carrera auction on BAT the other day, nice solid black/black coupe w 7s/8s and ~100k miles. Bad paint and needed the usual going through. I lost interest at $30k, never bid but had my finger ready. The winner paid about $37 w fees. Add in $4k in sales tax and registration in CA. and that is $41k for a stock '84 coupe that needs paint.

As Trump would say, "sad."
Old 01-16-2019, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #169 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tervuren View Post
Does your existing car use an electric radiator fan?
It has a second fan that's electric but the main fan is engine driven.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #170 (permalink)
Free Exams All November!

Speaking of radiator fans, I'll be removing mine this weekend as now the radiator (with plastic end caps) has sprung a leak! Where the plastic end caps are crimped to the aluminum body of the radiator.

I suppose this isn't really a BMW specific issue, as most of these German car radiators seem to come from the same radiator manufacturer.

$200 and a few hours time (on the E90 it's a straightforward radiator setup), so it's not that bad, but you'd hope a radiator could last a bit longer than 75,000 miles.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #171 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Speaking of radiator fans, I'll be removing mine this weekend as now the radiator (with plastic end caps) has sprung a leak! Where the plastic end caps are crimped to the aluminum body of the radiator.

I suppose this isn't really a BMW specific issue, as most of these German car radiators seem to come from the same radiator manufacturer.

$200 and a few hours time (on the E90 it's a straightforward radiator setup), so it's not that bad, but you'd hope a radiator could last a bit longer than 75,000 miles.
Radiators, like many things have a range of quality. My OEM rad for my El Camino was a two row radiator. It was just not up to the task of cooling the engine in 100+ degree heat, even while driving down the highway at 70. I replaced it with a 3 row inexpensive radiator. It started leaking within 20,000 miles. I took it to a local radiator shop that was in business since the 1960s. They fixed it, and a month later it was leaking and I went to that shop and they were out of business and gone. I found another radiator that was second generation, in business since the 1940s. They fixed it, and a month later, the radiator leaked, and the shop was out of business. Argh.
I finally talked to a friend that owns a repair shop. He ordered me a very high quality radiator that was not inexpensive. It is been in place for over 200,000 miles, no leaks, no issues. I change the antifreeze every 24 months. No corrosion, no issues.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 01-18-2019, 05:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #172 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
Yeah, that's just what I want. More unreliable electric crap on a BMW. I'll give them bonus points if they put a plastic impeller on the pump.
Exactly
In 75k miles, my wife’s Mini,(which is really a BMW) needed timing chain tensioners, electric water pump for the turbo, direct injection fuel pump, two thermostats($180 part), air bag seat sensors(required a new seat bottom), something called a Footwell sensor? which controls about half the electronics inside, two sets of run flat tires, and the radio failed. Not really an economical car.

After all that good news, it started using a quart of oil every 800-1000 miles. Dealers claim that is “acceptable”

Had to just about pay someone to take it.

I want a new 2003 Tahoe like my old one. Big v8 that loafs along, ok mileage with regular gas, comfortable, and quiet. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, broke or needed extra service in 140,000 miles. I have a Chevy truck the same way, 130,000 miles of complete reliability. No useless electric dodads, it just works.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #173 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onevoice View Post
Exactly
In 75k miles, my wife’s Mini,(which is really a BMW) needed timing chain tensioners, electric water pump for the turbo, direct injection fuel pump, two thermostats($180 part), air bag seat sensors(required a new seat bottom), something called a Footwell sensor? which controls about half the electronics inside, two sets of run flat tires, and the radio failed. Not really an economical car.

After all that good news, it started using a quart of oil every 800-1000 miles. Dealers claim that is “acceptable”

Had to just about pay someone to take it.

I want a new 2003 Tahoe like my old one. Big v8 that loafs along, ok mileage with regular gas, comfortable, and quiet. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, broke or needed extra service in 140,000 miles. I have a Chevy truck the same way, 130,000 miles of complete reliability. No useless electric dodads, it just works.
Exactly, I have a 2006 Tahoe. Last year of the straight-forward 5.3L. Purrs like a kitten, no mess, no fuss. Gets 20mpg at 70mph. Relatively simple to repair either DIY or take to a good mechanic. I actually enjoyed putting in a new water pump. My goal is to never have to take it to the dealer other than to buy parts. These days dealers want you to come back for repairs/etc. that's how they make most of their money (60% or more) and it is difficult to get them to be honest. I don't want to go in for a warranty repair - it broke and you fixed it for free but I still was inconvenienced, IMO I'm not made whole. I believe that dealers are dreading a high percent of all-electric vehicles, there is much less to go wrong and they aren't able to make much on scheduled service. Case in point - a buddy had a Leaf and the dealer made a huge deal of bringing it in to change the brake fluid. That's fine I think they only charged him $400 or so, but that was all they could think of to do.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #174 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Por_sha911 View Post
BMWs are turning into the Microwave oven of cars...its cheaper to replace it than fix one that is out of warranty. It seems like all cars are moving toward being like disposable razors: crappy quality to start with, use it, throw it away, and get another crappy one.
I have three buddies whom own Euro car repair shops and all of them say the same about newish BMWs, they are made using cheap plastic parts that start failing in as little as two years and cost a fortune to replace. None recommend buying a new or slightly used newish Bmer.

They also rail against the older AMG repair costs as stupid money.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #175 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: