Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

67 GT500 for sale a scam?

I always look at Craigslist for cars and came across this local to me. The ad says itís been in the family for 30 years. If itís a local car, why is there snow on the car. No snow here that I know of. Maybe the ďfamilyĒ was from up north?

The lack of decent pictures is strange too.

https://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/d/charleston-1967-mustang-shelby-gt500/6793542569.html
Old 01-12-2019, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If it is local, go look at it. Check the VIN, engine block numbers, etc. And, take good pictures.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Some people are truly horrible photographers. It's a fact of life. I look at a lot of car ads and it is common; sometimes because they are hiding something but often just because they are clueless.

It looks legit to me and includes a phone number. Why not call the guy and ask if you can see it? The snow is meaningless, he said that he lives locally. Not that the car is local at the moment. Call him.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by abisel View Post
If it is local, go look at it. Check the VIN, engine block numbers, etc. And, take good pictures.
An engine block number on a Ford..you must be think in it is a Chebey or sumthin. Ford at best was hit and miss mostly miss on numbering engine blocks.

There is a vin number stamped onto the body through if memory serves it is on one of the shock towers.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

A 67 gt500 should have a 427 side oiler on board. Cross bolted mains...dual quad...

After this much time it might be long gone?

Bone up on what should be there. The bits and pieces that made up the Shelbys.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabs View Post
A 67 gt500 should have a 427 side oiler on board. Cross bolted mains...dual quad...

After this much time it might be long gone?

Bone up on what should be there. The bits and pieces that made up the Shelbys.
427 side oilers were long gone by '67. It would be a 428, which the advertised car has.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Not a ford guy. Saw one maybe a year or two off at an auto parts store. What a god awful nasty beast. Big block with an auto. Styling was hideous. Made to cruise the hwy. not my cup of tea. Worth a bunch however.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

It's an early '67 the first 200 or so had the two center lights close together, the later ones are wider due to a law that requires headlights greater than 24'' apart
:
Old 01-12-2019, 11:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Ok. I remembered. It was a gt500 KR that I thought a monstrosity. A 67 may be cool.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

... again, go look at it.

This may help to ID features of a GT500.

https://classicregister.com/id-guides/how-identify-1967-ford-mustang-shelby-gt-500
Old 01-13-2019, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

Can't hurt to go take a look. Some people just post old pictures because that's they don't want to be bothered to head out to the barn.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I fail to see the issue, the car is local to you, a phone number provided, call and go see it. Pretty easy way to find out if it is real or a scam.

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 01-13-2019, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Iím not in the market for a car, but was just throwing it out there to see what everyone thought.

Iím not going to waste my time or theirs to check it out.

Besides, Iíd run out of talent fast taking on a project like that.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
That photo has scam written all over it
Scammers are cropping photos so you can't reverse search their copied photos.

Last edited by sugarwood; 01-13-2019 at 12:56 PM..
Old 01-13-2019, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Sold, most likely, while we were debating whether it's real.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered Cruiser

Poof! Gone. Guess we'll never know.

I have never really completely understood anything.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
It was real and it sold quickly. If it was local to me, I'd be over w bells on.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: