Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Am I doing the work myself ? ---- yes, and what's better it's a father /son(s) project.
The older one helped on the widebody conversion and paint (red to orange).
The younger one helping on the engine, fuel, and suspension mods.
The trans though is beyond me and was just completed by Transaxle Engineering in Chatsworth.
Once I finish with the Electromotive wiring, we'll fire it up after years of work. Richard Clewett is helping me with the startup.

I do plan on dropping in on a few low-key coffee and cars. I'll make sure La Canada is one of them...
Old 01-16-2019, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Current generation DI turbo cars are so amazing at quick spool and low torque they feel really fast in street driving. Below 3000 RPM I think my lowly wrong wheel drive econobox focus st is faster than my exige and much faster than my 930.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
[QUOTE=look 171;10316710drove a friends 2018 991S up the Crest. [/QUOTE]

I was incredibly impressed by the handling of 991S, especially on loose surfaces with gravel or sand on pavement combined with cracks and bumps in the road mid corner.

The stability control felt like an extension of my mind. I never turned it off.

Every modern car I've gotten into I've "felt" like the stability control is independent of what I want, a separate entity. I want to tone it down or turn it off.

The 991 was an exception.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

991s are great cars. The turbos are 991.2 (you can tell from the BBQ vertical engine grill) - the 991.1 (with plantation shutter grill, unless it's a GTS or anniversary) was the last naturally aspirated 911 this side of a GT3, sadly - but torque is impressive on the turbos.

Glad you had fun and it seems very cheap, that said I would never put my car on Turo to be abused by unknown people, though. (not saying you did, but I've read stories on others) Maybe it works as a business model wit great insurance, good for them..

PS: The turbo S, which they have at PEC and you can get 3 laps for $150 or something will make you physically ill. The sheer ferocity of the takeoff as a passenger is organ rearranging. I could not wait for the turns to rest...
Old 01-16-2019, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
I know a guy w a new Turbo S. He likes fast cars but honestly, I think it's just a status symbol.
Agreed. Id rather buy 3 80s turbos for the price of a Turbo S.
Im an air cooled guy, my bro has zero interest in air cooled. To each his own.
Tim
Old 01-17-2019, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timchar View Post
Tim
This would depend on where you get to drive it.

Non peak hours on mostly empty roads and I'd take the 930.

Crammed in on the interstate with heavy track and I'll take the 991.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tervuren View Post
This would depend on where you get to drive it.

Non peak hours on mostly empty roads and I'd take the 930.

Crammed in on the interstate with heavy track and I'll take the 991.
I agree. The 991.2 would be preferred in that scenario. It makes little sense to me to have a car that can almost triple the 70 mph speed limit. Tim
Old 01-17-2019, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timchar View Post
Tim
Tim, those would have to be awfully beat up '80s turbos at today's prices.

If a new turbo S is $200k, it would be 1.5 to 2 old ones, from my BAT observations.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
Tim, those would have to be awfully beat up '80s turbos at today's prices.

If a new turbo S is $200k, it would be 1.5 to 2 old ones, from my BAT observations.
With bells and whistles and tax, closer to 250K. Maybe I’d get a 76 For a cool 250. I think you get my point. Or I’d cash in his Aston, Lamborghini and Bentley and get a Singer. Different strokes.
Tim

Last edited by timchar; 01-17-2019 at 01:03 PM..
Old 01-17-2019, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: